Plus-Sized

PLUS SIZE WEDDING DRESS 911!!!

OK, so I am just over a year out before my wedding....
I am a very large plus sized girl, and have been successfully losing weight for the past year and a half, actually just hitting a 100lbs mark, but still a long way to go (emotional eater). Right now I am too big to fit into any of the dresses I have found since most of them run to a size 26 which is like a 22 in street clothes. I am working hard, but I am afraid I won't reach my goal in time. Any recommendations to finding a plus size wedding dress for less than $800?? I am just afraid since most people are saying order your dress 9 months out... that is not going to work!

Re: PLUS SIZE WEDDING DRESS 911!!!

• Alfred angelo dresses go up to a size 32 in many styles. Also, try igigi.com or sydneys closet.
  • for less than $800, not sure AA goes that low.. they may have some. maybe david's bridal?? mine was altered from a 28 to like a 32 or something, but we had to have extra fabric ordered and paid $1078 in alteration fees. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    ERMERGERD! Really that much in alterations??? Thats nuts!
  • Davids bridal , I am a size22 they had lots of dresses for me and my budget was under $600 and their davids bridal designer and gallina dresses are true to size
  • AA does have dresses for less than $800.  Not super fancy elaborate styles, but they do have some. 

My alterations were $360.00.  It just depends on what you need done.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Definitely Davids Bridal...  You can wait a few more months closer to your wedding date since you're still losing weight and still have plenty of time to get your dress in.  Mine came in just six days after I ordered it!
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    OK thanks mlg. That is a bit more comforting as I want to wait at least another 6 months to order. I should be able to lose another 50-60lbs in that time frame (heres to hoping)...
  • My AA, bought during one of their sales, was $900 pre-tax. 

Of course, I ordered it at the end of March, and won't get it until the beginning of July.  Mine doesn't run true to size (from their Dream in Color collection; 1516).  I wear a street size 14-16; my gown is a 20.

I'm not sure what alterations, etc are going to cost.

For $800, is having one made an option for you?
  • Tadashi Shoji makes amazing dresses up to size 24 / 26 - they run larger than street size so make sure to look at the sizing chart. You can buy directly from the designer's website: shop.tadashishoji.com
  • Mori Lee goes up to 32. My dress is from them. 
  • Igigi is my suggestion!  I was going to go with one of their dresses until I found "the one" at a plus size shop.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • SD210SD210 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

I found David's Bridal's plus sizes to be closer to street size (I wear a 20 street size and ordered a 20 dress).  I love love love my dress and it was $500 bucks.  Also, they said it could take 4 months and it came to the store in less than 3 weeks.  However, their alterations are known to be expensive.  Also, their alternations department won't do certain things to gowns because of the contracts they have with the designers.  For example, my dress has a slight sweep train on it and I didn't want a train at all.  They said they were allowed to shorten it for height, but not change the design, so they wouldn't remove the train (bizarre, I know).  No problem, I went to a local dress alterations seamstress and she is doing it for a quarter of the price! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SD210 said:

I found David's Bridal's plus sizes to be closer to street size (I wear a 20 street size and ordered a 20 dress).  I love love love my dress and it was $500 bucks.  Also, they said it could take 4 months and it came to the store in less than 3 weeks.  However, their alterations are known to be expensive.  Also, their alternations department won't do certain things to gowns because of the contracts they have with the designers.  For example, my dress has a slight sweep train on it and I didn't want a train at all.  They said they were allowed to shorten it for height, but not change the design, so they wouldn't remove the train (bizarre, I know).  No problem, I went to a local dress alterations seamstress and she is doing it for a quarter of the price! 

they fed you a line of bull !   DB doesn't actually really have designers.  They buy the "Vera Wang" and "Oleg Cassini" names to put on some of their styles, but they aren't actually Vera or Oleg designs.  

Most of the time when DB says they aren't "allowed" to do something, it's because their seamstresses aren't actually all that great and they don't want to screw up a dress that they'll have to replace.  They have been known to hire people with next to no experience and train them on how to do hems, etc. 

I'm glad you got your dress done elsewhere and they were able to give you what you wanted!

• Check out the Bonny Unforgettable line and see where they carry them near you.  (House of Brides carries the line, which is where I went to see the dress, but I ordered it from an online company because of HoB's history of being HORRIBLE.)  I want to say the dress was about $600 and it came with free shoes and a free headpiece.  I think I paid $200 for alterations from a local seamstress.

Definitely skip the bridal store seamstresses and get a second opinion from someone else before you commit to anything.  Most of the time, a local seamstress with good recommendations will be WAY cheaper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • I have to say I had a good experience with David's Bridal and that their sizes ran close to regular sizes. Know that any of their dresses can be converted from zipper to corset if you want (for extra fee with seamstress) but it might give you a little more freedom as you lose weight. Another plus is that you don't have to order your dress that far out in advance with them. I ordered mine, they told me it would take 15-16 weeks and alterations were two months before the wedding. So six months out is plenty of time. But talk to them because depending on the style you pick, it may come in faster (mine actually came in in two weeks) which gives you more time to put off ordering a dress so you can get one closest to the size you are to avoid needing to buy a second dress due to losing so much weight or paying a butt load for alterations. Good luck!!
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    Thanks for the tips!

ChiGirl2013- I totally love Bonney and found one that I adored, but the only place that sells them near me was outrageously out of my budget. UNFORTUNATE!!! 
    Still looking and I have plenty of time. 
  • my alterations were so much because they had to add 2 panels in the top to make it closer to a bridal 32 vs the max size of 28, they had to bring up the skirt a little, hand bead all the fabric lazaro sent to match the front as they do not send extra fabric beaded, take out 2 layers of crinoline from the skirt, and add a bustle. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i havnt gotten my pro pics back yet, but this is from my 2nd dress fitting a few weeks before my wedding  image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Great job on the weight loss journey!! I found my gown at AA and because I bought the sample dress off the rack they took $100 off. I really had not planned on spending so much on my dress but they worked with me and I ended up with the gown of my dreams! Did not need alterations since it fit perfecty. I wear a 14/16 street size but the gown is an 18. You'll have time and you will find exactly what you want. No worries!
  • Alfred Angelo has SOME dresses under 800 when I went and looked. I am a 26 and I found my dress at David's and it was a 26. Some dresses run true to size and some don't, but that is the same at all dress shops....it all depends on the fabric it is made out of, the style you pick....but I found David's to be the best for plus sizes. Corsets give you a bit more room and give you a really nice shape.
  • MeggisMeggis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!!  My dress is from the Julietta by Mori Lee line.  I couldn't try try it one because of my size, but it came in perfect!  It was just over $900 with all the shipping and stuff.  Hope that helps.  :)  Keep up the great work!

• KD+AR said:
    Thanks for the tips!

ChiGirl2013- I totally love Bonney and found one that I adored, but the only place that sells them near me was outrageously out of my budget. UNFORTUNATE!!! 
    Still looking and I have plenty of time. 

not sure where you are from but i love bonny and no one carrys the unforgettble line one place has 3 gowns on loan coming to me ( they carry the bm line) but i want to try on way more than 3 bonny gowns i found a place an hour away from me in ma ( im in connecticut) and will be making an apoinment with them.. not sure where you live or how far it would be to travel to another state maybe an hour away or 2 hours away would be worth it to get the gown of your dreams 
  • I am a street size 26 and bought a Sydney's Closet dress in a size 26 (or 28) and my dress was seriously $300 after alterations it was $360... You can do it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • kcrockett23kcrockett23 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2013
    If you live in the DC area or can travel to Fairfax, Virginia, I encourage you to go to Curvy Girls Bridal. After having a horrific experience as David's Bridal, I dreaded looking for a wedding dress. I felt huge in everything I tried on and felt like my consultant looked down upon me based on my size.

Then I found Curvy Girls Bridal. I checked out their youtube video and I immediately made an appointment. They have BEAUTIFUL gowns for women from sizes 12-32. My experience was absolutely amazing. The first gown I tried on ended up being the gown I bought. It fit me perfectly, which is great because my wedding is 3 months away. The consultant said, "It is really supposed to be this easy. We are taught to know what looks best for your body type." It was a truly amazing experience and I wish I could tell the world to go here first. www.curvygirlsbridal.com
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    hyechica81-

I actually live in NH so MA is that far from me at all... my problem is that though I am losing weight now my wedding is 10 months away and right now I am a size 34. Which means a size 36 or more in wedding dresses. I am miserable. At this point I am going to have to order from Light in the Box or DHgate so I can have a custom made gown that is going to fit. I am terrified that I am going to get laughed out of the store because my ass wont fit into a dress...
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    Kcrockett23- I called... they have dresses in my size and surprisingly above my size but I live in NH, its an 8 hour drive to their store, and the gowns they have in my size were over twice my budget. Thank you so much, and even if I can't get a dress from them, they were a pleasure to speak with and if my budget could do it I wouldn't mind driving the 8 hours there and the 8 hours back.
  • i wish i lived closer so i could loan you mine :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dk+ar mary and tux bridal in nh and country bridals in NH carry a huge selection of plus size gowns please call them i know country bridals is in jaffree (Sp) nh nashua Nh hope this helps
  • dk+ar mary and tux bridal in nh and country bridals in NH carry a huge selection of plus size gowns please call them i know country bridals is in jaffree (Sp) nh nashua Nh hope this helps

I beg of you. Please use punctuation. Your posts are getting harder and harder to read. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but a period or a comma goes a long way.  It's so hard to decipher what you are saying sometimes.
  • Hi! I know I am a little late... But www.simplybridal.com has a ton of beautiful, inexpensive dresses. They will custom make your dress if you need. My original plan was to go to Davids and try on silhouettes and decide and then order from simply bridal. But... I found one there for $500. They run fairly true to size at davids and many dresses come in up to a 28. I was 18/20 (closer to 20) when I bought a 22. I went back for alterations at more of a true 18 and needed minor things(it fit me perfectly when I bought it). Their alterations were inexpensive as well! 8 bustles and 2 tucks at the chestwas about?$100.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards