Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER - Period on wedding day?

Sorry if this is TMI, but I track my period on two different apps and both predict I will be getting my period two days before my wedding date. Since using them the dates have always been on time or 1 day late.

Did anyone have their period on their wedding day and was it really as awful as I think it would be? I've never taken birth control pills because I'm scared of side effects (many friends have gained weight on the pill) - so I'm considering starting to take them ASAP just until the wedding to change my schedule. I've already made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone has any insight/experience on using the pills just to change their period schedule.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
image 96 Are ready to party
image 27 Will be missing out
image 0 Are undecided

Re: NER - Period on wedding day?

• Starting birth control now may not really work.  It takes time for the pills and your body to really get on a schedule.  With that said, you should talk to your doctor about birth control and all the side effects you are worried about.  Different pills provide different side effects.  Only your doctor will know what is best for you.  And really BCC pills really shouldn't only be used to prevent you from getting your period on your wedding day.  That is a kind of silly reason to start them.

As for having your period on your wedding day.  My friend got married a month ago.  She got her period the day before her wedding.  The day of the wedding she peed and changed her tampon and pad right before getting in her dress.  She wore both as extra protection against any type of leaking.  After about 2 hours or so while we were in the bridal suite waiting for the ceremony to start she went to the bathroom again and changed her tampon.  After that I don't think she changed anything again.  She made sure she had the super absorbent tampons to provide a bit of extra protection but having her period the day of her wedding certainly didn't ruin anything.

• Everyone is different and if you're just starting BC your period may be out of whack for a while. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Personally, the first few months when I first started BC I would get really bad stomach aches during my period. I would have hated to go through that on my wedding day. Even though I feel totally normal now when on my period, I would still hate to have it on my wedding day! According to schedule I'll start while we're on our honeymoon, which I still think will be a pain so I'm planning to skip the placebos for that month.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I started bc last year because I had horribly painful heavy cycles. I wish I had gone on it ten years ago. I can't tell you what a life saver it's been. Ill be getting mine the day or two after the wedding while we're on our honeymoon but I don't even care because its so light now and I don't have cramps or anything anymore. Once I started the pills, my cycle was kind of reset, because you typically get it during the week of the sugar pills. So they will probably tell you to start taking them the Sunday after your period so you're regulating your cycle. I've never skipped mine but I know it's possible. Obviously talk to your dr before doing that though. I know everyone is different but if anything the pill has regulated my cycle and made it so I don't dread that time of the month.
  • My dr put me on the really low hormone one to lessen the chances of side effects. I felt moody the first month or so but after that was fine. But like everyone else said, it's hard to say how you will adjust to it. When is the wedding?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow, I didn't even think about how long it would take my body to get used to BC. Throwing my schedule off sounds worse than having my period on my wedding day - because at least then I would be prepared.

My periods are heavy the first two days, but the next 3/4 days are light and no pain at all. The first two days are the most difficult because I break out, bloat, and get bad cramps/back pain. There's a high chance my wedding day will be on day 2, which is why I'm worried.

You've all given me a lot to think about. I'll be sure to discuss all of this with my doctor and go from there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 0 Are undecided
  • avolker1 said:
    My dr put me on the really low hormone one to lessen the chances of side effects. I felt moody the first month or so but after that was fine. But like everyone else said, it's hard to say how you will adjust to it. When is the wedding?
    August 25th

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 0 Are undecided
  • I don't think taking BC pills solely to skip your period on your big day is the smartest idea. If you would like to use them for other purposes, I'd say go for it, but they can really change your body.

The pill I used to be on slowed my metabolism slightly, but if I would have tried harder, I could have made it better.

The pill I just switched to recently has helped my acne, but I feel BSC when I'm PMSing.

Different pills work differently for different people. I'd talk to your doc about your options.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have the same issue. I am due the day before my wedding. This really sucks because day 2 and 3 are really heavy for me. But, I dont do the pill because it gives me acne, and I wont do the shot again, even though I didnt have one at all on it, due to possible weight gain. So, I have just warned my sister that she will have to help me hold my dress if I have to go potty frequently, lol. She was fine with that, just warned me she wouldnt be digging for anything, lol. That made me laugh cause it reminded me of a Sex and the City episode with Carrie getting her diaphram stuck and Samantha having to retrieve it!

Anyway, good luck, just talk to  your doc!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    Let me start off with a disclaimer: I know next to nothing about BC! Having said this, a friend of my mothers got the "depo shot" one time and did not get her "friend" for a year! I dont know if thats normal or not but thats what she experienced. Wouldnt that be nice!! (unless of course baby making is on the agenda) :)

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • I am not a medical expert.

Talk to your doctor about your birth control and the fact that your wedding day is coming up shortly. There are ways to manipulate the pills so you wont' have your period that day however, it may not work as you have just started your pills. So really call the doctor's office.

I used birth control on and off since 1980, yup I'm that old. I had my tubes tide in 1995, after a few children.

I am on a birth control now to help maintain what is left of my hormone levels.

Everyone reacts differently to different medication, you won't know until you are on it a wihle.

Take care.

• I dont think BC will work to skip this late in the game.  However, while it may make wedding night plans change (dont care what you are into really), you could look into getting a menstrual cup.  Diva cup may be your quickest bet, but there are other brands out there, I prefer meluna but its from Germany and takes a while to get to the US.  They are great because you put it in, and if done correctly (easy to learn) wont leak and only needs to be dumped like twice a day for women with average flow, a panty liner (and they make washable ones) may also add comfort and security.  I will likely have my period on my wedding day too
  • keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm on the depo shot and immediately stopped getting my period, no weight gain either, it's a shot you get once every 3 months and stops the release of eggs, so it's different than the pill. Talk to your gyn about your concerns and what will be best for you. I used to work at an ob/gyn and I had MANY brides coming in looking for ways to stop that visit from happening on their wedding day.
  • Talk to your doc, but like others have said, it may not work like you want it to even if you get on BCP right away. Some pills, even if you can skip your period on them, will still cause break through bleeding, which can sometimes be just like a regular period.Besides that when you first start the pills, your schedule may get screwy.

I started my period the first day of our Hawaii HM. Not the exact same as the wedding day but it still sucked. I just picked up some tampons and refused to let it ruin my vacation. So even if it DOES show up on wedding day, it will be OK.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I used to take the pill and don't anymore. I did try and go back on it, but was really emotional and decided against it. Unfortunately it changed my period date and I was about to go on the pill again for 2 months to change the date until my period came again early. So long story short, it might give you some side effects, like moodiness, but it'll probably help diminish cramping and the flow will be lighter. I would not want to have my period on my wedding day. My Doctor thought 2 months would give me enough time to reset the day good luck!

• I'm sorry, I just don't think it's a good idea to use BC just to postpone your period.  Yeah, period on the wedding day can suck, but it's not the end of the world.  Unless you want to use BC for other reasons, then don't use it just for that.  

I will certainly have my period on my honeymoon (although not wedding day).  I'm sure I'm still going to have a great time.  No need for artificial hormones here!

SaveSave
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Thanks for starting this thread!  This was something I was thinking about too. 

• I'm glad you brought this up.  Having my period for the wedding has been a fear of mine for YEARS. 

Personally, I wouldn't start taking BC now just for this.  You don't know how it will affect you or even if it will work.  You can talk to a doctor, but no matter what they say, they never know how any medication will affect anyone.  I tried both the patch and the pill and went COMPLETELY BSC.  It was absolutely miserable.  Having lighter and more predictable periods were not worth the emotional agony.  My FI has told me multiple times how drastically different I was during that time.  Then again, I know other people who have very minimal side effects.

If you're seriously considering it, definitely talk to your doctor.  Good luck!

• Thanks for posting this.  I'm older and no longer use any BC because FI had a vasectomy (we have 4 children between us, that's enough, thank you very much), and I don't like the idea of taking hormones just for the sake of regulating my period.  My cycles tend to be a bit shorter than most, probably due to age, so I'm guessing I might start on our honeymoon.  I spoke with FI about it, and mentioned that I could visit the doctor and get the shot for one cycle to interrupt things, and he said, 'No way' for the same reasons I don't take BC regularly.  At this point, we both will just deal with it like we normally do.  In our case, our wedding night will certainly not be our first time, so it's not like there's any mystery or surprise.  I'm just grateful that he's supportive!  

I am curious as to what your Doctor will say, please post an update after you speak with her/him.
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • I used the pill to shift my period as I was due on my wedding day as well; but I had been on the pill for years and just skipped a placebo week several months out to shift my schedule.  I agree that messing with hormones just to avoid needing a tampon seems a bit extreme.  Your doctor will be able to give you your best options, though.
  • Talk to your doc, but like others have said, it may not work like you want it to even if you get on BCP right away. Some pills, even if you can skip your period on them, will still cause break through bleeding, which can sometimes be just like a regular period.Besides that when you first start the pills, your schedule may get screwy.

I started my period the first day of our Hawaii HM. Not the exact same as the wedding day but it still sucked. I just picked up some tampons and refused to let it ruin my vacation. So even if it DOES show up on wedding day, it will be OK.
    This.  I have been on BCP for years (like 12) and have 'skipped' my period a few times. There is always some 'spotting' around the time when I'm supposed to get my period anyway, although it is lighter and shorter than a regular period.  Also, I feel like it totally messes with my schedule for the next few months.  That being said, I will do this again if it coincides with my wedding/HM because I know how it will likely affect my body.  I wouldn't do it if I were new to the BCP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just looked at the calendar and I should be just ending my placebo week on my wedding day... meaning period will be over!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenn5628 said:
    I just looked at the calendar and I should be just ending my placebo week on my wedding day... meaning period will be over!!

really?  Mine always started a little more than halfway through placebo week and ended after day 2 or 3 of being back on active pills

But my body's all sorts of weird - I'm actually having much shorter periods now that we're TTC then I ever did on the pill.

• tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    I agree with PPs who have pointed out that starting the pill with only a few months to go won't necessarily shift your cycle the way you want it to. And I don't think going on it just to skip your period is a good idea at all.

The other thing to think about is that your cycle might shift naturally between now and the wedding due to other factors like stress. This definitely happened to me. I was expecting my period to start the week after the wedding while we were on our honeymoon, but it didn't start until the day after we got back (just over a week late). This was 100% due to the stress leading up to the wedding combined with the stress of travelling (the honeymoon itself was great but I am terrible on planes).
  • By the way @linnyv27 your dress in your signature is absolutely gorgeous!
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with PPs: Going on the pill this late in the game for the sole purpose of skipping your period on your wedding is not the best idea.

Talk to your doctor (GYN is better than GP) about ways to postpone your period, or about ways to manage your period if you do get it. I think doiexist1987's advice is great--I have heard amazing things about Divacup!

I do want to be clear: Everyone reacts to hormonal contraception differently, and to different KINDS of hormonal contraception differently. So that means that you could be like me and have your acne clear up magically when you're on the pill, or you can be like someone else and have the worst acne ever because of it. And that does mean that if you get your first depo shot, you might not get your period for a long time, and it also means that you might get it on schedule anyway.

Skipping periods with the pill is super easy, though, and not dangerous as far as I've heard from doctors. I have Mirena right now (hormonal IUD) and haven't gotten my period since December, about a month and a half after I had the IUD placed. I do NOT recommend this for you (OP) because I still had spotting for several months, and I had backaches and cramping a lot for a few months. But I will say, ladies, I am very happy with mine and it was (so far) worth the incredibly painful insertion process.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Actually, this thread is now making me a little worried.  I was planning to start BC a few months before my wedding because I don't want children, and we are waiting until marriage so I don't have to worry about it now.  Should I start it earlier than that if people react so drastically to the hormonal stuff?  I don't want to be an emotional wreck the two months before my wedding because my body is reacting to the pill. 

• kerbohl said:
    Actually, this thread is now making me a little worried.  I was planning to start BC a few months before my wedding because I don't want children, and we are waiting until marriage so I don't have to worry about it now.  Should I start it earlier than that if people react so drastically to the hormonal stuff?  I don't want to be an emotional wreck the two months before my wedding because my body is reacting to the pill. 

It couldn't hurt.  Especially since some people have to try multiple pills before they find one that works for them.  Others, like me, start taking it and don't notice any changes at all other than suddenly having regular periods. 

Alternatively you could use condoms on the HM and start the pill after the wedding. so any issues happen during a lower stress time....

• I was on it for 14 years and loved it - only stopped because I thought I was going thru peri-menopause.  Doctor said I wasn't but did find a few cysts.  Had a hystercopy last month and I hope to be back on the depo provera in July.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kerbohl said:
    I wouldn't be too worried! For what it's worth, I did not gain any weight right away (and while it was hard to lose weight, it wasn't impossible), and the pill is effective at preventing pregnancy relatively quickly. I just wouldn't bother starting it a few months before the wedding ONLY to skip my period, as opposed to using it for birth control and continuing use after the wedding.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards