Snarky Brides

Courtesy of Pinterest, burlap is taking over the world

So I was in A.C. Moore tonight, looking for craft supplies. (My friends are having a baby boom -- I have to crochet SEVEN baby blankets between now and October).

In one of the aisles, I saw burlap flowers.

Attached to fake Mason jars.

With a sign: 

"Did you "Pin" this idea? We can help you make it happen!"

I vomited a little in my mouth.
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: Courtesy of Pinterest, burlap is taking over the world

• So over both of those "decorations". Why would you want to have a trendy wedding instead of something that is truly you and your FI?
  • I almost fell for the burlap trend, until you ladies pulled me back from the edge. I am doing mason jars for vases, my wedding is in a tent at a flower farm, it suits and they were cheap.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I was first on pinterest like last year and saw them I thought "How quaint." Now's it's just ridiculous. I need to delete my pins now...
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • When we first started planning, my planner told me to join Pinterest and just pin any wedding photos that appealed to me. I pinned a lot of burlap things (and maybe even some burlap and lace). She brought absolutely none of the burlap photos to our vendor meetings. I asked about this one flower photo and I think she bean dipped me .disaster averted.
  • And, am I the only one who doesn't get Pintrest? I feel like I am the last woman standing or something.

Not at all, I don't Pinterest, never have, don't want to.

• I think the "rustic" weddings are really sweet. I'm just so sick of the word rustic or brides thinking their rustic barn weddings are unique. 

I have a Pinterest,but I don't really use it. I never quite understood it either. It's like Twitter. I have it, but I don't get it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • What is a fake mason jar?

• I don't understand the whole "planning my wedding, just need to find the man!"  I have a mutual friend that told my FI that she won't settle down with anybody for less than a $20,000 ring (????)
  • I don't understand the whole "planning my wedding, just need to find the man!"  I have a mutual friend that told my FI that she won't settle down with anybody for less than a $20,000 ring (????)
    O.O
    O.O

Thank you!  Not an exaggeration by the way.   $20,000 ring, and doesn't make it a secret. 
  • I got all mine from a bride on kijiji it was super cheap, especially since they're antique.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • So glad I'm not the only one who avoids Pinterest. I just don't get it.
    Anniversary
  • runpipparunrunpipparun member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    I don't understand the whole "planning my wedding, just need to find the man!"  I have a mutual friend that told my FI that she won't settle down with anybody for less than a $20,000 ring (????)
    I feel like little girls used to have "dream weddings;" now they have Pinterest pages to organize their dream weddings into... insanity.

I get creeped out when I see a single, young friend with a Pinterest page entitled "Maybe some day..." or "One day..." or "Hopefully..." Planning a wedding with no consideration for the man is super, super creepy and just completely the wrong attitude. There's a lot of girls who want a PPD and not a marriage.

That said, our wedding will have both burlap (a lovely forest green color that doesn't look like burlap and that we inherited from my brother's wedding) and blue mason jars (which will look lovely with wildflowers). Don't hate. I didn't get either from Pinterest.

ETA: I did find the inspiration for our Dalek wedding cake on Pinterest though...
  • Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2013

I love Pinterst! Yes I used it for some wedding "inspiration" (key word since I don't copy anything, just use an idea and make it better and more "us"). But I also find GREAT organizational tips, recipes and more. Its not just for weddings at all... but I totally agree, it drives me CRAZY when I see people I know who are not engaged with these outragous wedding boards! (and my wedding does have lace... BUT NO BURLAP OR MASON JARS WITH IT)

ETA: I have 3 weddings this summer and 2 of them are doing burlap, lace and mason jars...

Anniversary
  • Last week Mom and I picked out rental items -- none of them involved burlap, mind you -- at a party supply store. Burlap was running amok all over the place. One of the store owners waited on us and I was SO RELIEVED to hear her express anti-burlap sentiments, one of which was, "Have you ever smelled that stuff when it gets wet?"

She said the store only offers burlap because it's so ridiculously popular right now. She predicted the trend won't last much longer...I hope she's right.

Now if hunters would reclaim camo, we'll be heading in the right direction until some other tacky trend pops up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate burlap. I hate it so much than DH jokes on me for it. His mother created her own Pinterest board for our wedding and it had burlap on it. There wasn't burlap anywhere within a mile of our wedding!

I love Pinterest as a time waster. I found a few little ideas on there for the wedding - mostly hairstyles and centerpieces. I think my favorite Pinterest idea was tying our napkins and silverware with twine and stringing a Lifesavers mint through it (we had a beach wedding). We got a lot of compliments for that.

I HATE the girls who are planning their Perfect Pinterest Wedding and don't even have a boyfriend. Especially the ones who have 8087452345 pictures of GIGANTIC unrealistic engagement rings. Eyeroll.
  • Oh, boy...someone got butt hurt about burlap and lace criticism.

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/981171/new-trends#latest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think Pinterest is ok. I have a board for menswear that I think would look good on FI, which I share with him so he can see it and edit it. Also we have one that we pin apartment stuff onto.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • I'm a Pinterest user, but I don't spend hours at a time on it. And I can guarantee our wedding won't look like a Pinterest board. I think we might pull a few ideas from it, but nothing too crazy or cookie-cutter-looking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I use Pinterest for a lot of my wedding ideas. My hair and makeup artist actually asked me to look on Pinterest to send her ideas of what I want for my wedding day.

I also get a lot of recipes on Pinterest.

As a teacher, I get strategies and ideas to use in my classroom. It's very useful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I absolutely love Pinterest. Wedding planning ideas are just one small element of what I use it for, and those ideas are more of an inspiration board for me than they are a list of ideas that I'll copy identically. As far as not understanding its appeal, it may just depend on how you use the internet. To give one example of why I love it, I absolutely adore cooking and used to have tons of bookmarked internet recipes and links to recipes saved in different word docs on my computer.  I use the internet almost exclusively to find my recipes, but the way I had them archived was really cumbersome to use and didn't allow me access if I didn't have my own computer with me. Using Pinterest, I have access to them no matter where I'm at, as long as I have my smart phone (this is really helpful when I go grocery shopping), and they are all centralized on one easily scannable page. If you rely on the internet regularly to find inspiration for things, then it is a nice tool to organize your ideas. If you don't, then creating a Pinterest account doesn't really make sense. 

ETS: the "one day" boards creep me the heck out, too. And while I agree that there are a lot of wedding ideas that are recreated ad nauseam on Pinterest, you don't have to use it that way. You don't have to simply re-pin things others have already pinned - most of my wedding board is reflective of my own ideas that I've researched and independently pinned, and is not copied from what was already floating around out there. 
  • I use Pinterest for a lot of my wedding ideas. My hair and makeup artist actually asked me to look on Pinterest to send her ideas of what I want for my wedding day. I also get a lot of recipes on Pinterest. As a teacher, I get strategies and ideas to use in my classroom. It's very useful!

My soon-to-be SIL is a teacher too and loves Pinterest. The most recent Pinterest project she did with her kids were these adorable father's day cards that looked like ties.

• binzybinzy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Burlap is itchy, ans so are bales of hay, for that matter!  Why would you want me to sit on that in my cocktail dress??  Mason jars are okay, but a bit overdone in my humble opinion.  And I really don't understand the whole, vintage thing just happened to find itself in a field, thing.  And really, unless you are a canner, or a farmer, or own an antique shop, how do these things represent you as a couple?? 

For haters out there like me, you'll enjoy this blog: http://oveninafield.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards