North Carolina-Outer Banks

BEACH HOUSE WEDDING??

Just curious if any of you are renting a beach house for your ceremony/reception.  If so, could you post links to the house you chose?  Thanks!  I'm brainstorming locations and hope to visit the OBX area soon!

Re: BEACH HOUSE WEDDING??

• We are getting married at Wild Horse in Carova on June 6 of this year.  The house is rented through Twiddy:  http://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/swan-island-estates/wild-horse.aspx

Some other popular ones are The Dream and Mark Twain (also through Twiddy) and Grande Ritz Palm (not sure of the rental company).
  • We have chosen the Grand Luxxe in KDH for our September wedding! 

• I know you are debating between an event home vs a venue for your wedding. Have you looked into the Obx wedding association? That's a great place to see real weddings at a lot of different locations throughout the Obx. There is also a list of vendors, including different event home companies and actual venues like The Sanderling, Jeannette's Pier, 108 Budleigh, etc. I so didn't mean to de-rail this post, I'm sorry! Just trying to give some resources for inspiration and ideas. Scroll through a couple of pages on this board and you may find some other event homes. What about Gertrude's Breakaway in Corolla? Can't recall rental company at the moment.

• In Response to BEACH HOUSE WEDDING??:
    [QUOTE]Just curious if any of you are renting a beach house for your ceremony/reception.  If so, could you post links to the house you chose?  Thanks!  I'm brainstorming locations and hope to visit the OBX area soon!
    Posted by Sunshine805[/QUOTE]

Sorry, just saw this...I'm getting married next April, at an event house through Twiddy. We've put an advance property hold on this house: http://www.twiddy.com/homes/corolla/whalehead/beach-castle.aspx

It's a smaller home, which is perfectly okay with us--we're trying to keep things as small as possible. :)
  • We just had our reception at absolute elegance in the Whalehead beach section of corolla. It has great space in the backyard. It rents from Carolina designs. http://www.carolinadesigns.com/corolla-vacation-rental/757-absolute-elegance/
  • We haven't booked it yet but one of our options is The Love Boat in Frisco on Hatteras Island. It is a Monday to Monday rental so we can have a Saturday wedding.
  • We thought about an event house, but decided it was not the best fit for us. We are getting married at 108 Budleigh in Manteo and I absolutely LOVE the venue. 
  • edited June 2013
    Would you mind revealing pricing information about the Wild Horse ashley2516, my wedding is in two years and I am trying to budget everything out. My wedding will be in May, since June is pretty close, I would like to get an idea. Thanks!
  • I believe the rent was about $21,000 plus the $2,000 event fee. May is actually significantly cheaper than June though. We were originally looking at May, and I want to say it was around $14,000. The rental agency says to expect a rental increase of, I believe, 3-5% per year. I don't want to scare you, but when I called in Dec. 2011 for our 2013 wedding, all of May was already booked. So if you're seriously considering a wedding there, I would call to book it soon. Also, we didn't pay for the entire rental. A lot of couples rent out big beach houses and then essentially rent the rooms out to anyone interested in staying for the week. Obviously, you need to be prepared to cover any rooms that aren't rented, which we did, but it worked out really well. If you want any additional info, our wedding was just last week, so everything is still fresh. I would definitely recommend it. Having all of our friends and family stay and party with us for the week made for literally the best week of my life!
  • Thank you soo much!
  • doceridoceri member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We opted not to do the ceremony/reception at our house but we could have - here is the link to the house!

http://www.villagerealtyobx.com/OuterBanks/VacationRentals/NagsHead/Details/TakeItTotheLimitFormerlySeaCasa/

I believe there was a wedding there just recently as I saw it on Genevieve Stewart's Blog!  Good luck!
  • We opted not to do the ceremony/reception at our house but we could have - here is the link to the house!

http://www.villagerealtyobx.com/OuterBanks/VacationRentals/NagsHead/Details/TakeItTotheLimitFormerlySeaCasa/

I believe there was a wedding there just recently as I saw it on Genevieve Stewart's Blog!  Good luck!
    I've stayed right beside that house before and it is quite awesome!! I think they did some renno work either last summer or year before :)

• HMWKHMWK member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I am having my wedding at the Wild Horse reanted through Twiddy Dec 2013. I have toured the home twice! Its amazing. They have extended the upper deck and it makes a big difference. Mark the caretaker of the house is super nice and was so helpful with questions. The house has service for 90 maybe? The pattern is starfish and very beachy. There is flatware but it doesn't all match and the stemware is missing a lot of pieces. All the staff at Twiddy are very responsive and if they don't have the answer they will get it and always get back in a timely fashion. I am so excited for the wedding and to share the week with my family and friends!!!
  • Congrats on your upcoming wedding!  Our week at the Wild Horse was literally the best week of my life.  You'll have so much fun!
  • Congrats!! Not to be Debby Downer here or anything, but make sure you and your guests are aware of the rules in the 4x4 area; NO walking on any of the dunes as they are protected land and especially NO approaching any of the wild horses. I see the stuff all the time and it drives me wild....pun intended, lol ;)

• We are looking to do the exact same thing, to have an all-in-one wedding at an Event Beach House!  Thank you to everyone who responded to the original post!  It gives other brides with the exact same question a much better idea.  I will look into the companies listed for more houses to look at.

I do have another question.  Will the rental companies give you a tour of these houses?  Thanks once again!

• Last summer, Twiddy was incredibly kind and drove us out to the dream house so we could have a 30 minute walk through.

I only gave them a few days notice (I think I was engaged for a whole day haha) and they had me come on the turnover day.
  • Twiddy only allows people to tour Wild Horse on the second Sunday of the month while the house is being turned over.  The caretaker is there to answer questions, and you're basically free to walk all around the house and check it out at your own pace.
  • mbrosious I am getting married at the Wild Horse House in May of 2014. The price for the week is $15,750. You are required to put a $750 desposit down to secure your date (I secured my date for May 2014 in Febuary of 2013) $700 of the $750 dollars will be applied to the rental fee, the other $50 Twiddy keeps for processing.  Basically if you're having your wedding there you are also required to pay a $2000 special events fee. A 50% deposit is required in November plus $1500 towards the event fee. The remaining amount + tax is due 30 days prior to check-in.  You also have to pay both city and county tax which comes out to a whopping 12.75%.  If all the information I have gotten is correct as well as my calculations the total amount for renting the house my specific week in May 2014 is $19,058.13. If you call the Twiddy office they will set up a time for you to do the walk-through they do it every second Sunday of the month as someone else stated above.  I hope this helps! (:
  • We are getting married at Just Peachy through Carolina Shores in Oct 2013. We just got back to Ohio from meeting with caterers and touring the house. More excited than ever! Everyone was wonderful! So helpful and friendly and willing to work with our budget. Amazing experience!
  • I am planning an all in one event at a event home next July in 2014 and I am completely overwhelmed! For those doing or have done the same, do you plan on having the entire wedding outside? If so, where? Ie. the deck, just the beach, etc. thanks everyone!
  • Our ceremony will be in the front lawn with the reception in the pool area.  The home has a pool house with a full bathroom, bar and sauna as well.
  • edited July 2014
    PeakSarah: I have just put a hold on this same house (Absolute Elegance of Carolina Designs) for my wedding in September of next year. I would love any recommendations or advise that you can give about having a wedding at this beautiful home. I also have a potential "hold" on Harrys Harbour of Twiddy. Twiddy is a bit more expensive for the wedding fee and this house in particular. I am planning on getting married on the beach and then having the reception in the back yard. These two houses both have huge back yards that can hold like 100 people in a seated tent (I am thinking of doing a tent just in case it rains). Any help or advise from any brides that have done this similar venue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I would also try sending Sarah a PM. For some reason, it's not putting her name in bold as to flag her to this post.

• Carlyandjustin:I know you posted this awhile back, but I hop you booked Absolute Elegance for your wedding. I could not have been happier that we chose to rent this house. We had our ceremony at the currituck then had a small reception (26 peopel) back at the house on the lawn. The gazebo up on the top of the dune was where we did our fist dance as well as the daughter/father and mather/son dances. It made it private enough that you could really take in the moment an the view of the ocean was perfect. We did not do a tent so i dont have any advice about that. feel free to send me a PM and I can send you a link to our pictures so you can see some of what we did.
  • I am helping my daughter plan an event home wedding this September.  We just rented Take It To the Limit.  We could use recommendations for reasonably priced vendors:  DJ, hair/make-up people, photographer.  We have very little time.  Thanks to all!
  • I am helping my daughter plan an event home wedding this September.  We just rented Take It To the Limit.  We could use recommendations for reasonably priced vendors:  DJ, hair/make-up people, photographer.  We have very little time.  Thanks to all!
  • Hello and welcome!!! First off, that home is absolutely amazing!!! The beaches in S. Nags Head are wider, so you will have plenty of space to work with. I would start calling people asap.....like today bc a lot of vendors will be booked. Look at The Outer a banks Wedding Association, under the Vendors tab, and you will find a complete list to reference. Lots of great info. A lot of us have used DJ John Harper; very well known and a great DJ. I went to "Its Royalty Salon" over in Manteo.....partly bc I won a gift certificate at the wedding expo and since we were also in S. Nags Head, it was a quick drive. I used Outer Banks Productions as my photographers. I really wanted Matt Lysk, but he was and always is booked up. Don't forget cake--I used The Atlantic Cake Co and Susan was great to work with and cakes are amazing!!

Get on the phone ASAP and start booking :) I know it's a short time line to work with, but it can be done, so don't get too stressed. Let us know if you have any questions or need any other suggestions.

• Hi and welcome! We used Matt Lusk for our photography, highly suggest him, although as OBX said he's likely already booked. Rev Jay for our officiant, we used Sugar Snaps for flowers, Great Cakes for our cakes and the Sanderling Spa for hair and makeup. Highly recommend all of them. I would also take a look at the Wedding Association site for other suggestions as the more popular vendors are likely booked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards