Getting in Shape

Frustrated to the point of giving up

I just needed somewhere to vent. I know I don't post here but I usually lurk here.

I have been attempting to lose weight for the past year and I started with Shakeology. H friend sold it and really sold me on it. Well, I started to lose weight and I started exercising and eating healthy. I told myself I would only do the shakes until my wedding (this past April) because it was ridiculously expensive. I stopped the shakes in April and since I have gained about 10 pounds. I still exercise 4-5 days a week and eat as healthy as I can.

I've had some gas/bloating issues recently and at my most recent physical (last week) they tested me for lactose intolerance and gluten sensitivites, both of those tests came out normal. I started my new bootcamp session last night and we got weighed, I gained another two pounds since my doctor's visit last week. How is this possible??!!

How do I get myself out of this rut? I'd say how do I get back on track, but I never really fell off track. I'm just so disappointed and feel like giving up.
-End Vent-
Anniversary

Re: Frustrated to the point of giving up

• I think part of your problem stems from the fact that you initiated weight loss with a food program that wasn't sustainable. Do you calorie count? If you haven't already, you should check out a site like myfitnesspal.com and start keeping track. It's wonderful that you've started paying more attention and are exercising regularly - keep those habits up! Now you just need to balance your food better.
  • I use MFP and for the most part I come in at the right calories... some days I am under when I exercise but don't know how to up the calories without adding extra fat/carbs or other things I don't need. I am a pretty picky eater so it's difficult to find new and healthy things.
    Anniversary
  • xcaly that makes total sense. I measure everything I eat. Before I used to just scoop meals onto my plate "Yup, that looks good", but now I really pay attention to what the serving size should be. I always have breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks a day.
    Anniversary
  • I stay away from saturated fats. I think poly unsaturated is the good kind?
    Anniversary
  • Jessalyn - do you eat back your exercise calories? What kind of deficit are you currently on with MFP? Are you netting over 1200 calories a day? Are you constantly hungry or constantly feeling like you're forcing yourself to eat too much? If you answer these questions we might be able to help you a bit more.
  • MFP says I should eat around 1100 calories a day. I'm never hungry, I feel like it's hard to come up with the calories especially on workout days. When I workout I do cardio kickboxing, weights and bootcamps so I usually burn a lot of calories. It's very difficult for me to make up the calories I've burned with my exercises so I don't make them up completely.
    Anniversary
  • edited June 2013
    There is your problem - you are under-eating and starving yourself (unless you're under 5' tall). I recommend checking out TDEE calculations and figuring out on your own what your body burns on an average day and then you can manually create a deficit from that. If your TDEE calculation comes back at 1800 calories a day to maintain, then you would consume 1300 calories a day to lose approx. 1lb a week (which is the recommended pace). You NEED to properly fuel your body and it sounds like you're starving it instead and then overworking it on top of that.

ETA: ALSO - you NEED to eat back your exercise calories! You're already AT a deficit!!!!!
  • I am 5' exactly. I put in to lose 1lb/week. I guess now I just need to figure out how to increase my calorie intake. I feel like I am forcing myself to eat sometimes since I am never hungry.
    Anniversary
  • According to the TDEE calculator I should be getting 1700 calories a day. Holy crap! I am way under! My daily diet is something similar to this: Cereal for breakfast, fruit for snack, sandwich for lunch, yogurt or veggie for snack, rice/chicken or fish/veggie for dinner. Looks like I need more snacks.
    Anniversary
  • xcaly that's a tough question... I love carbs (muffins, bagels etc) and meat. I eat breakfast at work so I try to make something quick and easy (cereal or yogurt with banana), sometimes I have two hardboiled eggs instead of cereal or yogurt.
    Anniversary
  • Protein is good, I could use more of it. Omelets sound like a good idea in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Anniversary
  • If you need calories try nuts/seeds, avocado, dried fruit, peanut butter, olive oil.  

I find it's hard sometimes to met my calorie intake so i will eat a handful of nuts or trail mix at the end of the day.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Nuts sound like a good idea. I really wish I liked avocado, I just don't. I'm so picky and bland. When I eat apples I usually try to have it with peanut butter.
    Anniversary
  • ditto xcaly - almond butter is amazing!! One thing to check with peanut butter (and even almond butter), a lot of companies add sugar. Double check to make sure yours is "natural". Just check ingredients and the only thing should be either roasted almonds or peanuts. :)

• I'll look into almond butter, I've been wanting to try it.
    Anniversary
  • stage these are muffins that are made with eggs? I've never heard of these! I'll have to google some recipes.
    Anniversary
  • NonosGirlNonosGirl member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I second the egg muffins! I like to think of it as baked scrambled eggs in a muffin tin. I also make oatmeal muffins. Just oatmeal, eggs, bananas, milk (I use almond milk), and baking powder. From time to time I add nuts too. I also make quinoa cinnamon bake. Cooked quinoa, eggs, cinnamon, milk, and maple syrup or honey if you like them sweetened.
  • DH calls me a picky eater.  My parents and sister's family is so bad I think I'm a foodie.  I guess I'm really in the middle.

Anyway I've never been a big vegetable fan.  It was not flat out dislike, I eat a salad if it's part of the meal, but it was never a go-to meal for me.   Especially home. I never cooked them right or something.  I also blame my mom who had the idea of vegetables was throwing a box of frozen stuff in a gallon of water and boiling it for an hour.  So yeah.

Well June 1 I started eating better and "forced" myself to eat more vegetables.  I'm happy to say I now crave veggies. I eat large salads most days (I switch it up between lunch and dinner) and want them when I don't.  My plate is always so nice and colorful and it makes me full.      Yesterday  I surprised myself by having  a grilled cheese sandwich with a side of crinkles cut carrots. They are better then potato chips yet still have the same crunch and I get an additional 35 calories.

Baby step.  You will get there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards