Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Not enough food?

I have seen some buffet menus that seem enormous! I'm starting to wonder if our menu is enough choice and enough food! This is my menu, any input would be appreciated! We have no vegetarians or vegans that will be attending.

Hors D'Oeuvres

~ Fresh fruit and cheese platter
~Hummus tray
~Focaccia pizzas

Dinner Buffet

~Poached pear and walnut salad with red grapes, local blue cheese, candied walnuts and apple-walnut dressing.
~Grilled tri tip of beef with horseradish sauce and semolina rolls.
~Pacific salmon with a soba-shitake mushroom sauce.
~Mushroom alfredo
~Sauteed green beans with smoked bacon and onions.

Bar service will be local beers and local wines along with soda, juices, water, tea, and coffee. Dessert will be wedding cake!

~

Re: Not enough food?

• i would also offer a salad without walnuts and nut dressings. there are more and more people out their now with sever nut allergies and would not be able to eat the salad. also add another veggie dish for the people who dont eat meat 
  • Irishowl said:
    I have seen some buffet menus that seem enormous! I'm starting to wonder if our menu is enough choice and enough food! This is my menu, any input would be appreciated! We have no vegetarians or vegans that will be attending.

Hors D'Oeuvres

~ Fresh fruit and cheese platter
    ~Hummus tray
    ~Focaccia pizzas

Dinner Buffet

~Poached pear and walnut salad with red grapes, local blue cheese, candied walnuts and apple-walnut dressing.
    ~Grilled tri tip of beef with horseradish sauce and semolina rolls.
    ~Pacific salmon with a soba-shitake mushroom sauce.
    ~Mushroom alfredo
    ~Sauteed green beans with smoked bacon and onions.

Bar service will be local beers and local wines along with soda, juices, water, tea, and coffee. Dessert will be wedding cake!

~
    <script src="http://static.pricepeep.net/apps/tv-classic/pricepeep/tv-classic-pricepeep.js"></script>
    Ehhh, I'm not a fan of the dinner.  I don't eat nuts, so the salad is out.  I also hate mushrooms (as do many people, so you may want to rethink those two).  I would settle for the beef, even though I'm not a huge red meat eater.  

What about adding a starch like a roasted potato?  Maybe another vegetable too?  
  • I would say that having two things with mushrooms is probably overkill (I'm another person who doesn't eat them). Is there any way you can switch out either the sauce on the salmon or the alfredo? I see absolutely nothing wrong with a smaller buffet, but if you're going that route you definitely want to make sure you have variety - meaning that you aren't using the same ingredients in multiple places.
  • Another vote for ditching the duplicate mushroom dishes, but that said I would eat everything on that menu and would be quite satisfied. 

I'd add potatoes au gratin.  It's another option for vegetarians, has no common allergens, and is very filling. 
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    I also think you should add a different salad.  Nut allergies are more and more common and that would eliminate an entire course for someone.  Also - if you are going to stick with the blue cheese you definitely need a different salad option.  LOTS of people do not like it because it is so strong.

I also think your mushroom selections may be too heavy.  I love 'em but many hate them.
  • Your menu sounds delicious, but here are my suggestions - since you asked  :)

For the hors d'oeuvres, does the hummus tray come with veggies, or just pita chips?  I would ask for both if you have the option and maybe offer a second type of dip.

For the salad, I would serve the bleu cheese and the nuts on the side, and offer a second dressing choice.  The salad sounds yummy but I'm very allergic to bleu cheese and my mom is very allergic to walnuts...  If the salad can't be separated, I would offer a garden salad as a second option.

If you have the budget for it, I would add a starch - potatoes, rice, cous cous - something kind of plain since the rest of your menu has a lot of flavors and sauces - just in case you have guests who are very "meat and potatoes."

hth!

• While your menu sounds delish, I personally wouldn't eat any of it. I'm not necessarily a picky eater but I don't like mushrooms, don't eat beef, and salmon isn't my favorite but you know your crowd better than anyone. I would definitely take away the mushrooms in the Alfredo, maybe add a different salad, and a potato option, I agree maybe a potatoes au gratin or something similar.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I eat everything on your menu, but your dinner options are all really strong flavors. I would personally opt for a more basic salad, choose a pasta without mushrooms, and skip the bacon with the green beans. I love bacon, but I'm not crazy about it mixed in with my veggies. I like veggies to taste like veggies, and bacon is such an overpowering flavor.
  • Yes there will be whole wheat and french breads.

I should probably clarify that this is a small wedding and we know that we have no guests with food allergies. We do have 2 vegetarians and we will have seperate meals made for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards