Luxury Weddings

Bridesmaids Gifts

Okay, so I know my wedding is really far away, but I’m considering starting to purchase some of my bridesmaids gifts now so I don’t have to worry about that expense later.  I’m thinking about getting everyone Tiffany’s necklaces with their first initial on it.  I don’t have an “official” bridesmaid list yet, but I absolutely know some of the people who will be bridesmaid like my cousin (who is my MOH) and my fiancé’s sister.  I was also thinking of getting them monogrammed robes in my wedding color for getting ready pictures, and maybe a bottle of wine each. 

I will obviously wait on purchasing those other things, but the necklaces are expensive, so I might want to start buying them now.  I’m a student right now, and my parents are paying for most of the wedding, so I think it makes sense to slowly buy the things I need to now, in case I don’t get a high-paying job right out of law school (very possible since I want to work for the Federal Government).

What did you all get your BMs?  What do you think of these necklaces?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP03133&mcat=148204&cid=287465&search_params=s+2-p+1-c+287465-r+101323338-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Re: Bridesmaids Gifts

• edited July 2013

I'm not a jewelry person, but I have gotten a Tiffany necklace as a BM and I have given them at my first wedding. I was actually registered at Tiffany, so it was easy to pick something out when I was in there creating the registry.

ETA- for some reason, TK always screws up my posts! I was just in my brother's wedding and we all had matching robes and wine glasses with our names and wedding role on them! The robe can be seen in the hair post.

• I think the necklaces are really pretty and I know on other boards a lot of the ladies say you shouldn't get personalized gifts, but I like your ideas. The only thing I would caution is getting the necklaces early because you never know if someone might not be able to be in your wedding or something and then you're stuck with an expensive necklace that you can't do anything with. Would you be able to just put the money somewhere for the necklaces instead of actually purchasing them right now?
  • ssautter said:
    Okay, so I know my wedding is really far away, but I’m considering starting to purchase some of my bridesmaids gifts now so I don’t have to worry about that expense later.  I’m thinking about getting everyone Tiffany’s necklaces with their first initial on it.  I don’t have an “official” bridesmaid list yet, but I absolutely know some of the people who will be bridesmaid like my cousin (who is my MOH) and my fiancé’s sister.  I was also thinking of getting them monogrammed robes in my wedding color for getting ready pictures, and maybe a bottle of wine each. 

I will obviously wait on purchasing those other things, but the necklaces are expensive, so I might want to start buying them now.  I’m a student right now, and my parents are paying for most of the wedding, so I think it makes sense to slowly buy the things I need to now, in case I don’t get a high-paying job right out of law school (very possible since I want to work for the Federal Government).

What did you all get your BMs?  What do you think of these necklaces?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP03133&mcat=148204&cid=287465&search_params=s+2-p+1-c+287465-r+101323338-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Honestly, I would say wait on buying and just save for the wedding. Also The issue with the monogrammed stuff is that sometimes people don't use it. I received a bathrobe as a bridesmaid gift and like I already have 2, it was cool to wear in pictures but that was about it.

I got my bridesmaids a coach wristlet purple, to use for the day of the wedding and then stuffed each with nailpolish, gc to restaurants, or other stuff they individually liked.

I would love the necklace, but I know not everyone would.
  • I think the necklaces are really pretty and I know on other boards a lot of the ladies say you shouldn't get personalized gifts, but I like your ideas. The only thing I would caution is getting the necklaces early because you never know if someone might not be able to be in your wedding or something and then you're stuck with an expensive necklace that you can't do anything with. Would you be able to just put the money somewhere for the necklaces instead of actually purchasing them right now?

Thanks!!  I was only planning on purchasing a few for the people who have to be in it (i.e., family members), and getting the rest later.  I’m also going to put money aside, but I like the idea of purchasing as much as possible in advance.  I’m kind of weird like that – I get Christmas presents a year in advance, and have had my fiancé’s bday (in Sept.) planned for months :)

• ssautter said:
    I think the necklaces are really pretty and I know on other boards a lot of the ladies say you shouldn't get personalized gifts, but I like your ideas. The only thing I would caution is getting the necklaces early because you never know if someone might not be able to be in your wedding or something and then you're stuck with an expensive necklace that you can't do anything with. Would you be able to just put the money somewhere for the necklaces instead of actually purchasing them right now?

Thanks!!  I was only planning on purchasing a few for the people who have to be in it (i.e., family members), and getting the rest later.  I’m also going to put money aside, but I like the idea of purchasing as much as possible in advance.  I’m kind of weird like that – I get Christmas presents a year in advance, and have had my fiancé’s bday (in Sept.) planned for months :)

I am totally with you here. My DH is one of 9 kids, we have 3 nephews and a niece. I started Christmas shopping officially 3 weeks ago.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm starting to work on this myself.  I think I will be getting each of them a pashmina (since it is a winter wedding) and then I'm thinking a GC for dinner out for them & their SO/DH as well as a set of wine glasses and a bottle of wine.

I haven't decided yet...still debating.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally just had a thought with monogrammed items. I cannot tell you how many items I had to get rid of when I got married the first time and then got married the second time. I like the idea of robes, necklaces, etc, but without monograms.

• I totally just had a thought with monogrammed items. I cannot tell you how many items I had to get rid of when I got married the first time and then got married the second time. I like the idea of robes, necklaces, etc, but without monograms.

That's a good point. It works the other way around too when single girls get married. If you stuck with just their first initial though that would be ok.
  • @Jells2dot0 I didn’t think of that – thank you!!  I really appreciate you making me think of this because I’m the very first of my friends to get engaged, so there will likely be lots of last name-changing in the future.

The necklaces will just be the first letter of their first name, which is unlikely to ever change.  I like the idea of making it personal, even though it’s a uniform gift.  You’re totally right about the robes, though.  I love the robes for pictures, but obviously don’t want to make that the only gift because it’s more for me than for them, so that’s why I want to do robes, the necklace and then something else that’s ONLY for that individual BM.  What do think of their names instead of monogrammed initials?  I don’t want it to just say “bridesmaid” because, even though it totally is for photos, I do hope that at least some of them will re-wear the robes after the wedding.

• @drexelkathy – I’m so sorry, I’m very new to these boards.  What does “GC” mean?
  • @drexelkathy – I’m so sorry, I’m very new to these boards.  What does “GC” mean?
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @ssautter - I'm sorry.   When I used "GC" I was meaning "gift card".  We have some fantastic restaurants, etc. around here that I was thinking of getting gift cards for.
  • @drexelkathy thank you!  I’m a law student and all I could think of was “General Counsel” haha.  Stupid 1-track mind.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Honestly, I would reconsider your gifts. Most people I know are very particular about the jewelry they wear, myself included. I would never wear that necklace, It looks too young for me (I am 28.) Same thing with the robes, I never wear a robe. So while I would be happy to wear one getting ready for a friends wedding, afterwards it would sit in the back of my closet while I donated it.

I would shop for your girls like its their birthday. If you have a foodie in you BP, get them a gift card to a great restaurant or a cooking class. A wino: maybe some great bottles of her favorite type. And maybe someone really would love the necklace, so get it for that one person, not everyone.

For my BP gifts: I did buy them robes but only because that is what they asked for. I also paid for their hair and make up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I loved that necklace. I was looking at Tiffany's jewelry too the other night for some ideas for gifts for my WP. My only thought was that jewelry is so personal I worry someone may not like it.  I also wouldn't want them to feel obligated to wear it on the day of the wedding either.  I've gotten jewelry as a bridesmaid's gift before and I was like um... do you want me to wear this tomorrow????

I love the idea of the coach wristlet though and putting some GC's inside.

Anniversary

• ssautter said:
    @Jells2dot0 I didn’t think of that – thank you!!  I really appreciate you making me think of this because I’m the very first of my friends to get engaged, so there will likely be lots of last name-changing in the future.

The necklaces will just be the first letter of their first name, which is unlikely to ever change.  I like the idea of making it personal, even though it’s a uniform gift.  You’re totally right about the robes, though.  I love the robes for pictures, but obviously don’t want to make that the only gift because it’s more for me than for them, so that’s why I want to do robes, the necklace and then something else that’s ONLY for that individual BM.  What do think of their names instead of monogrammed initials?  I don’t want it to just say “bridesmaid” because, even though it totally is for photos, I do hope that at least some of them will re-wear the robes after the wedding.

What made me think of it was mentioning Tiffany. My MOH gave me a Tiffany keychain with my new monogram on it the day of my wedding. It was my first possession with my new initials. When I got married the second time, my DH surprised me with a new Tiffany keychain and my new monogram. He was happy to see that old monogram go :)

• I was thinking about the same ones...be warned they are REALLY small. I went to Tiffany's to look at them and they are less than the size of a dime.

I ended up getting them this instead: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP03140&mcat=148204&cid=287465&search_params=s+5-p+28-c+287465-r+101323338+101424819-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+
  • I got my 7 girls the same necklaces, op. I liked them and I thought they would too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• They are not my style. I know some people say shop like it's their birthday, but there are also benefits in getting gifts that are basically the same (but personalized to the person), especially if they are opening them together. There are other Tiffany necklaces in this price range. I would go into the store and personally pick out each girl's necklace. Choose something that looks like what they would normally wear.
  • I got all of my bm the open heart - you're celebrating love, so the heart seemed appropriate. I've seen all of my bm's wear it after the wedding, I love seeing it on them. http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=29667233&mcat=148204&cid=287465&search_params=s+5-p+6-c+287465-r+101323338+101674964-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+
  • Why? Why buy expensive jewelry when you're a student and you don't have a job lined up yet? Also everyone I know got these for a sweet 16/bat mitzvah gift. I think they're a waste of money for you and you would be much better off buying something cheaper and more personal closer to the date.
  • I would hate those necklaces and monogrammed bathrobes, and there's no way I would be letting someone take pictures of me in a robe. 

• Viczaesar said:
    I would hate those necklaces and monogrammed bathrobes, and there's no way I would be letting someone take pictures of me in a robe. 

I was just in my brother's wedding and we al had matching robes. However, my SIL also bought us matching tanks and cotton shorts to wear under the robes. So, I certainly did not mind being photographed that way at all.

I think we've come to the conclusion that BM gifts are a very personal thing. I know all of my BMs loved jewelry and I knew that because I knew them so well. It's really up to each person what they are comfortable buying for their friends and at what price point.

• Viczaesar said:
    I would hate those necklaces and monogrammed bathrobes, and there's no way I would be letting someone take pictures of me in a robe. 

I was just in my brother's wedding and we al had matching robes. However, my SIL also bought us matching tanks and cotton shorts to wear under the robes. So, I certainly did not mind being photographed that way at all.

I think we've come to the conclusion that BM gifts are a very personal thing. I know all of my BMs loved jewelry and I knew that because I knew them so well. It's really up to each person what they are comfortable buying for their friends and at what price point.

That's your prerogative, but I'm not going to be photographed in a bathrobe, regardless of what I'm wearing underneath it.

• Personally, I think Tiffany's is a waste of money. I don't know anyone who wears it. It was trendy when we were in our 20's, but now, I kind of associate it with the teens in the mall that walk around with "juicy" on their butt, carry a coach bag, etc. It just isn't as classic any longer. If you want to do jewelry, why not speak to a local jeweler and have something custom done? You will probably get something much nicer and much more personal than buying from Tiffany's.
  • @Drexel most of these girls are in their 20s, some even early 20s! I know there are a few of us that aren't :) I agree with you, though- I won't even consider carrying Coach anymore. they sold out IMHO.

• edited August 2013
    Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:

That's your prerogative, but I'm not going to be photographed in a bathrobe, regardless of what I'm wearing underneath it.
    That's fine, we all have opinions. However, your opinion came off quite harsh and if you disagree with what the pp was saying she was going to do, there are other ways to state it. Perhaps she ran the robe thing by her group and they loved the idea. I know I travel a lot and am photographed in my bathing suit very often. I'm much more comfortable being shot in a robe with a tank and shorts underneath than my bikini.

• Jells....valid point! I'm showing my age! LOL
  •  

Jells....valid point! I'm showing my age! LOL

Yeah, I sometimes forget how old I am! I got engaged to my first husband in 2002 when I was 22, so it's been over 10 years!!!

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:

That's fine, we all have opinions. However, your opinion came off quite harsh and if you disagree with what the pp was saying she was going to do, there are other ways to state it. Perhaps she ran the robe thing by her group and they loved the idea. I know I travel a lot and am photographed in my bathing suit very often. I'm much more comfortable being shot in a robe with a tank and shorts underneath than my bikini.
    Clearly I don't need to state the fact that I would not allow myself to be photographed in a robe in another way, as I got my point across just fine.  I don't do photographs in my bathing suit either, by the way. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards