Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Can I wear a veil after I elope

My husband and I eloped for financial reasons for school. (Idk if its the same everywere but if you are under the age of 26 your parents have to fill out part of the fasfa for me to go to school. Even after I asked them to multiple times they didn't.) So we had been dating for four years and was already planning on getting married anyway and we eloped. We didn't tell anyone other than immediate family because we wanted a big wedding... well you know how secrets are if more than one person knows. It doesn't stay secret for long.

Anyway my mom is throwing me a wedding and we got to talking about the veil. She says that its tacky to wear a veil if you're already married but Ive ALWAYS dreamed of wearing a veil. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to not have my dream just because I eloped

Re: Can I wear a veil after I elope

• Options
    My husband and I eloped for financial reasons for school. (Idk if its the same everywere but if you are under the age of 26 your parents have to fill out part of the fasfa for me to go to school. Even after I asked them to multiple times they didn't.) So we had been dating for four years and was already planning on getting married anyway and we eloped. We didn't tell anyone other than immediate family because we wanted a big wedding... well you know how secrets are if more than one person knows. It doesn't stay secret for long.

Anyway my mom is throwing me a wedding and we got to talking about the veil. She says that its tacky to wear a veil if you're already married but Ive ALWAYS dreamed of wearing a veil. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to not have my dream just because I eloped
    Just... no. You already had a wedding. So, that's done, you can't have another one. You could have a big party to celebrate your marriage if you wanted, but no wedding stuff, no wedding dress, definitely no veil. You chose to elope, so now you have to deal with the consequences.
  • Options
    I'd be more concerned with how your friends and family will feel about being lied to.

Have an anniversary party - you already made the choice to get the benefits of getting married, and now you have to deal with the consequences.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    But guuuuuuuys, the first time was for moneeeeey. All decency becomes moot when it comes to moneeeeeeey.

Anniversary

• Options
    No.  You are married.  You can't have another wedding.

Have a nice party to celebrate your marriage.  No wedding gown, no wedding party, no wedding ceremony, no veil.

Also, please tell everyone you're married ASAP.  Your friends and family will be very hurt that you lied to them.  The longer you wait, the more upset they will be.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    I had the same issue with my family, so I went to community college while working full time, then transferred to a university when I turned 23 (apparently the magic age where they think your family stops helping you here).

You are already married. You can have a "celebration" of your marriage or an anniversary party, but you don't get a second wedding. Also, I second PP that pointed out you probably shouldn't trust your mother to do this.
  • Options

Wait, she thinks its tacky to wear a veil after your already married but has no problem throwing a fake wedding?  I'll let the others do the explaining about how wrong this is...but it baffles me that the same woman wanting to throw the PPD has a problem with a veil.  
  • Options
    No you cannot wear a veil now. You are already married. If you "ALWAYS dreamed of wearing a veil" why didn't you when you eloped (=got married)?????
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2013
    Also, the FAFSA cutoff is not age 26. It's 24. I remember because I turned 24 on January 9 and had to wait an entire year to apply as independent (the cutoff is Dec 31).
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. But just in case we have any lurkers, if you have been married once, DIVORCED, and are getting married again it's not against etiquette (I don't think) to wear a veil. But traditionally, the veil was there to make sure the groom didn't see his bride until the very last second. So really the original purpose of the veil is pretty much gone now. At least, I'm assuming most people (except in some cultures) meet their husband-to-be before the wedding. So really it is just part of the attire. And the bride's attire (unless someone else is paying, and even then it should be) is up to the bride.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    I agree with PPs. But just in case we have any lurkers, if you have been married once, DIVORCED, and are getting married again it's not against etiquette (I don't think) to wear a veil. But traditionally, the veil was there to make sure the groom didn't see his bride until the very last second. So really the original purpose of the veil is pretty much gone now. At least, I'm assuming most people (except in some cultures) meet their husband-to-be before the wedding. So really it is just part of the attire. And the bride's attire (unless someone else is paying, and even then it should be) is up to the bride.
    This is almost right. For a second wedding (ie not a re-do) a bride shouldn't wear a blusher veil (the part that covers the face), but can wear other types of veils.
  • Options
    @tiny speck. Thanks for correcting me.
  • Options
    My absolute biggest issue with PPDs is the lying. My ex's middle daughter married her high school sweetheart after he finished AIT (he's in the army). The had a lovely wedding that followed the guidelines of their very conservative denomination. It was a lovely spring day, the bride looked great, the groom was handsome in his Class A uniform, my ex was a very emotional, proud daddy giving away one of his three daughters in the first of weddings of that generation. Everything was just LOVELY.

Fast forward almost a year to when he and I found out that the couple had married in Georgia right after the groom had graduated from AIT...with the bride's mother's blessing and attendance. They got married for all the reasons other people give  for secretly getting married in the military. The only people who knew were the MOB and the bride's sisters. I was highly offended that we had been lied to, but my ex was very very hurt. I'm pretty sure there are others in that family who still don't know it was a PPD and it's been about 7 years.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the dress and all that...I just wouldn't call it a wedding and would make damn sure EVERYONE knew the couple was already married and were really just renewing their vows. As i've said before, I'm going to be officiating a vow renewal for friends of ours on their 22nd anniversary and she wants to do the whole dress, guests, cake, car, etc. But EVERYONE knows they are married and everyone is excited and looking forward to it. In our circle of friends it's ok.
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    CheleLyn said:
    My absolute biggest issue with PPDs is the lying. My ex's middle daughter married her high school sweetheart after he finished AIT (he's in the army). The had a lovely wedding that followed the guidelines of their very conservative denomination. It was a lovely spring day, the bride looked great, the groom was handsome in his Class A uniform, my ex was a very emotional, proud daddy giving away one of his three daughters in the first of weddings of that generation. Everything was just LOVELY.

Fast forward almost a year to when he and I found out that the couple had married in Georgia right after the groom had graduated from AIT...with the bride's mother's blessing and attendance. They got married for all the reasons other people give  for secretly getting married in the military. The only people who knew were the MOB and the bride's sisters. I was highly offended that we had been lied to, but my ex was very very hurt. I'm pretty sure there are others in that family who still don't know it was a PPD and it's been about 7 years.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the dress and all that...I just wouldn't call it a wedding and would make damn sure EVERYONE knew the couple was already married and were really just renewing their vows. As i've said before, I'm going to be officiating a vow renewal for friends of ours on their 22nd anniversary and she wants to do the whole dress, guests, cake, car, etc. But EVERYONE knows they are married and everyone is excited and looking forward to it. In our circle of friends it's ok.
    Oh wow that's awful!

I agree...I don't love the AWish stuff but I can handle the attendants, dresses, etc (don't like it, but won't get upset over it), but calling it a wedding is lying.  It is not a wedding.  It is deceitful and not cool.  
  • Options
    I roll my eyes at this new trend of calling something a "vow renewal" to avoid getting blasted for having a PPD. Traditionally, vow renewals were designed for the milestone anniversaries - 10, 25, 50 - or when you had a separation with your spouse and then worked things out and wanted to make it super awesome and "official". Those I can get down with. Yay, party.

But to use it as an excuse to wear a pretty dress and get presents and be all "me me me" for a day because you were too impatient to wait a few months to a year?

No.
    Preach. 
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, the post-parties are fine. My cousin eloped because he and his wife didn't want a big wedding, and my aunt was really, really hurt. She asked if she could at least throw them a party, and they agreed that would be okay. 

Their parents and witnesses wore suits and dresses, but nothing as fancy as they'd wear at a wedding, and the mothers and fathers had boutonnieres and corsages. They had food, drinks, and dancing, and some people brought cards and gifts. But it wasn't wedding-y at all. It was great, and nobody side-eyed it one bit. The cake was just a regular sheet cake with some pretty decoration in their favorite colors, and it said, "Congratulations Scott and Sally".

If they'd done a fake wedding or anything wedding-y, people would still be talking about how tacky it was.

As for the invitations, I recall they were similar to a party invitation. They said something like, "Come celebrate the recent marriage of Scott and Sally." Then it had the usual place/time/date and an RSVP card.
  • Options
    No wonder the divorce rate is so high. Few take marriage seriously anymore. It's all about the frills.  

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    Have a 1 year anniversary party. Wear a nice dress, have good food, have a cake, have a lovely time with your guests, but don't act like a bride because you aren't. You're a wife now and any kind of wedding would be an act.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think you should wear what you want. If you want the veil then go for it. Just be clear about who's going to pay for it and if your mom is still going to have the wedding for you if you do. As for offending people - those people are probably already offended. Also, on tk these types of celebrations aren't well received. Have you gone to wedding wire? It seems like they'll give you more support on your wedding. http://m.weddingwire.com/forums/etiquette_and_advice
    In other words, here you'll get honest answers...over there you'll be told what you want to hear.

o_0"""
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    aurianna said:

GlassButton said:
    I think you should wear what you want. If you want the veil then go for it. Just be clear about who's going to pay for it and if your mom is still going to have the wedding for you if you do. As for offending people - those people are probably already offended. Also, on tk these types of celebrations aren't well received. Have you gone to wedding wire? It seems like they'll give you more support on your wedding. http://m.weddingwire.com/forums/etiquette_and_advice
    We don't support it because it's not a wedding. A wedding requires two people getting married. This is two people's lying to their friends and family by pretending to get married, very possibly for attention and presents. In what universe does that sound like something people should support?

If OP wants to have a big party to celebrate her marriage with her nearest and dearest she can totally do that and everyone here still supports a reception-only or anniversary party... as long as you she comes clean to her friends and family prior so they know that they are already married and that this is not a wedding.

I just think if OP is unable to come up with at least three reasons that are not selfishly motivated why a pretend wedding after the secret one is a good idea, then it's not a good idea.

Exactly! OP, since you aren't getting married you shouldn't be having a ceremony and should be inviting people to a celebration of your marriage. You should really wear a nice cocktail dress rather than a wedding gown, but honestly as a guest I don't really care what you wear, I care that you are honest with me instead of leading me there under false pretenses, and that you host me properly at whatever type of party you throw.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards