Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Chicken Marsala or Cordon Bleu?

Happy Monday, ladies! FI and I are picking our menu and we're stuck on the chicken dish. No, this is not AT ALL an important detail, but we seem to disagree on which is more of a crowd-pleaser, so I figured I'd turn to you to see which one "wins." If it helps at all, the other menu selections are Chateaubriand, Veal Francaise, and Chilean Sea Bass. TIA!

Chicken Marsala or Cordon Bleu? 45 votes

Marsala
55% 25 votes
Cordon Bleu
44% 20 votes

Re: Chicken Marsala or Cordon Bleu?

• This is actually a hard one. I like both equally. I picked Cordon Bleu, but they are both yummy.
  • So, this IS a hard one.  Primarily because I hate mushrooms... I know a lot of other people that hate mushrooms also.  So, the marsala would be out for me.  I would eat the cordon bleu, but, I know a lot of chicken eaters that don't eat pork, so that slice of ham in there would mean no dinner for those folks.

• Oooh! I love both.  I ended up going with marsala because both of your other meat options are red-meat and the (shockingly large number of) people who don't eat red meat or pork would probably be screwed if the only poultry dish included ham.

People can pick the mushrooms in a marsala sauce out.

• So, this IS a hard one.  Primarily because I hate mushrooms... I know a lot of other people that hate mushrooms also.  So, the marsala would be out for me.  I would eat the cordon bleu, but, I know a lot of chicken eaters that don't eat pork, so that slice of ham in there would mean no dinner for those folks.

FI brought up the point of mushroom-haters. I said they could pick them out, but that's easy for me to say because I like mushrooms. Would you pick them out or do you hate mushrooms to the point where they can't touch your food (I used to have a similar aversion to tomatoes, so I can relate)? Also, this will be a late dinner, so I was thinking we should keep it on the lighter side. Good point about the pork; I had't considered that. Add in the fact that a lot of people don't eat veal on principle and/or hate fish and NO ONE will eat at my wedding! Oh boy... I hope they let us bring home leftovers!
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

So, this IS a hard one.  Primarily because I hate mushrooms... I know a lot of other people that hate mushrooms also.  So, the marsala would be out for me.  I would eat the cordon bleu, but, I know a lot of chicken eaters that don't eat pork, so that slice of ham in there would mean no dinner for those folks.

FI brought up the point of mushroom-haters. I said they could pick them out, but that's easy for me to say because I like mushrooms. Would you pick them out or do you hate mushrooms to the point where they can't touch your food (I used to have a similar aversion to tomatoes, so I can relate)? Also, this will be a late dinner, so I was thinking we should keep it on the lighter side. Good point about the pork; I had't considered that. Add in the fact that a lot of people don't eat veal on principle and/or hate fish and NO ONE will eat at my wedding! Oh boy... I hope they let us bring home leftovers!

I would be hungry, because I HATE mushrooms. The sauce that will cover the whole chicken is a mushroom base.  So, nope, I wouldn't pick them off.  My plate would end up in the trash.     I didn't notice that you were serving veal?   Ugh... yeah, honestly, you might want to rethink your menu.
  • I just suggested to FI that we do chicken francaise and another type of veal (which I don't think a lot of people will order anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal...we tried taking it out as a meal option to either cut down on the cost pp or add something else, but the venue said it wouldn't save anything so we might as well keep it in). @FierceFemme, would you eat the chicken francaise or is there no pleasing you?
  • I just suggested to FI that we do chicken francaise and another type of veal (which I don't think a lot of people will order anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal...we tried taking it out as a meal option to either cut down on the cost pp or add something else, but the venue said it wouldn't save anything so we might as well keep it in). @FierceFemme, would you eat the chicken francaise or is there no pleasing you?
    I would totally eat that. And for the record, I would eat the cordon bleu as well.  I like pork, but I know a ton of people that don't.  So, I was just pointing out the ham issue with that dish.  
  • PS -  I guess what I'm saying is, it's a good idea to have at least one "generic" choice.  The choices you have so far are very taste specific and the veal will turn people off for social/political reasons, at least, it would in my crowd. Honestly, if we even offered veal as an option, people in my circle would side-eye us.

I would totally eat that. And for the record, I would eat the cordon bleu as well.  I like pork, but I know a ton of people that don't.  So, I was just pointing out the ham issue with that dish.  
    Gotcha.  Was just joking. Like I said, I appreciate you making that point because I hadn't thought of it.  

@Stage and FF, I always thought marsala was a wine sauce with mushrooms IN it; I never realized it was an actual mushroom-based sauce. Thank you for the newsflash; seriously! And, like I said, we tried to take the veal out; I know A LOT of people who won't eat it and I figured it could save us some money.  But I also know some people who do eat it, so to each his own, I guess. 
    Gotcha.  Was just joking. Like I said, I appreciate you making that point because I hadn't thought of it.  

@Stage and FF, I always thought marsala was a wine sauce with mushrooms IN it; I never realized it was an actual mushroom-based sauce. Thank you for the newsflash; seriously! And, like I said, we tried to take the veal out; I know A LOT of people who won't eat it and I figured it could save us some money.  But I also know some people who do eat it, so to each his own, I guess. 
    It doesn't matter (but yes, mushrooms are the base of this sauce, along with marsala wine). Mushrooms reduced in any base of sauce (cream or wine) are going to flavor the sauce.  My point is that people who don't dislike mushrooms always say things like "eat around it" or "just scrape it off", but if it is the TASTE of mushrooms that you do not like, then there isn't much to be done because the taste is still there.  Plus, have you ever tried to pick mushroom pieces out of a sauce?  Try it sometime and tell me how successful you are.  

ETA: Not trying to be mean, just a bit exasperated at the lack of understanding for those who don't like mushroom (which is like half the people in the country).

I don't like mushrooms either, Stage.  But I swear to you (and maybe my palate sucks) that I cannot taste mushroom in 90% of sauces.  Marsala? I'm going to taste wine, garlic, butter....and that's about it.  

It doesn't matter (but yes, mushrooms are the base of this sauce, along with marsala wine). Mushrooms reduced in any base of sauce (cream or wine) are going to flavor the sauce.  My point is that people who don't dislike mushrooms always say things like "eat around it" or "just scrape it off", but if it is the TASTE of mushrooms that you do not like, then there isn't much to be done because the taste is still there.  Plus, have you ever tried to pick mushroom pieces out of a sauce?  Try it sometime and tell me how successful you are.  

ETA: Not trying to be mean, just a bit exasperated at the lack of understanding for those who don't like mushroom (which is like half the people in the country).

I don't like mushrooms either, Stage.  But I swear to you (and maybe my palate sucks) that I cannot taste mushroom in 90% of sauces.  Marsala? I'm going to taste wine, garlic, butter....and that's about it.  

I think it depends on how much you don't like mushrooms.  The taste of mushrooms makes me want to gag.  If there was mushrooms on a pizza, I can taste it in the cheese, even after I take the mushroom off. I don't do that anymore.  I also hate the texture of mushrooms, but that's another issue all together. 

If there were mushrooms in spaghetti sauce, I won't eat it. You'd think that with a heavy tomato sauce, I wouldn't taste it, but I can.

• It is very...surprising? to see veal on your menu, especially since you also have a steak dish. 

Personally I prefer chicken francese over marsala or corden bleu, I do like mushrooms but every chicken marsala I've had at weddings/banquet events was terrible. But I really think you need a non-red meat option, I know quite a few people who don't eat pork who aren't Jewish/Muslim. 
  • Love chicken Marsala, hate mushrooms. I push them aside and enjoy the wine, butter, garlic flavors.
  • like I said... I guess it dependds on your level of hatred towards the mushroom.  If you cook a shit load of mushrooms in a wine... that is a mushroom sauce as far as I'm concerned. 
  • Too funny - we just had a similar decision to make.  I won given my dislike of marsala sauce (WAY too sweet for me).  Can't stand it and I have tried it quite a few ways. 
  • like I said... I guess it dependds on your level of hatred towards the mushroom.  If you cook a shit load of mushrooms in a wine... that is a mushroom sauce as far as I'm concerned. 
    This, times 1000.  For me, cooked mushroom releases it's flavor into whatever you're cooking.  It's not about the texture, it's the taste, which is absolutely in or on whatever you've cooked it.  It's a potent flavor that I can detect regardless.  And like QF, it makes me nauseous and gaggy.  It's not like eating brussel sprouts or something where I don't care for the taste, but can fork down a half dozen bites to be polite.  

I respect that for you and for QF this dislike of mushrooms is overwhelming.   But I think that to say that half of all people dislike mushrooms to this degree....to the point of not being able to simply pick the mushrooms out of a sauce and carry on....is a hugely exaggerated number.  I would say 90% of people would either eat the mushrooms or be perfectly fine picking them off.
  • Update for anyone interested:  You all have great points about peoples' general disdain for mushrooms or the fact that someone might not eat the cordon bleu because of the ham.  We decided chichen francaise would be a safer option. Thanks, all, for your opinions; they really helped!
  • Update for anyone interested:  You all have great points about peoples' general disdain for mushrooms or the fact that someone might not eat the cordon bleu because of the ham.  We decided chichen francaise would be a safer option. Thanks, all, for your opinions; they really helped!
    Sounds good!!! And I'm glad you kept the veal - every crowd is different. I know a few people who wouldn't eat veal, but no one who would decline a wedding invitation solely because someone may or may not be eating veal. Not tha there's anything wrong with feeling that way, my crowd just doesn't. I freaking LOVE veal and I would be super excited to see it on a wedding menu. I went out to dinner with my family last week and 7/8 of us ordered veal.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards