Wedding Etiquette Forum

They knew and they did it anyway...

Re: They knew and they did it anyway...

• Southernbelle IS overreacting, in my opinion.  And, I think its whining, again my opinion.  She didnt like my opinion and how I expressed it in a public forum, so she complained that I violated TOS and asked that I be warned. 

Now, her fellow lynch mob bridezillas have chosen me as their next target.  Just as I predicted.  Bet no one will complain about their various violations of the TOS.  I certainly wont be asking someone to ban anyone for an opposing view.   Its real life, welcome to it.

My choice to respect, or not respect my DIL has nothing to do with that.  Just because Southernbelle doesnt get what she wants from her inlaws has zero bearing on how I should (or will) interact with my DIL or son for that matter.  To make the conclusion that because I think its childish to have an issue with someone refusing to call someone something specific means that I am going to be a horrible mother in law, or person in general is illogical. 

• jeull64 said:

Attack all you want.  If it is what my future DIL wants, then it is what she will get.  Its her wedding, her marriage and her life.

THIS is the lynch mob I was talking about. 

If you believe your FDIL deserves that respect then why not @southernbelle0915?

• @jeull64 - you make it quite clear that you haven't read the TOS. You got warned because you violated the TOS. Also, calling everyone here a lynch mob and bridezillas is another one. Keep it coming.

Just out of curiosity, do you think my husband is "childish and immature" because he took the initiative to correct his family? You seem to really take issue with me inparticular but not anyone else involved or anyone who posted in support. I'm curious why you seem to be targeting me?
    *********************************************************************************

• Respect is earned and not demanded.
  • jeull64 said:

Respect is earned and not demanded.

Why are you suggesting that I don't deserve respect?
    *********************************************************************************

• @knotporscha - this poster still doesn't seem to understand that personal and targeted attacks are against TOS.

• Jen4948 said:
    @southernbelle0915, is there any chance that jeull64 is your SIL's screen name?
    haha nah - looks like she's an MOG (other threads). I just feel really sorry for her FDIL and her son if she acts like this IRL... that poor girl is in for more than she probably realizes.

WAIT... its ok to personally attack ME though???  You are a piece of work.  I am finished with this entire conversation since there seems to be 2 sets of rules.  Its ok to attack me, but if I say anything, you yell for an Admin. 

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    jeull64 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    @southernbelle0915, is there any chance that jeull64 is your SIL's screen name?
    haha nah - looks like she's an MOG (other threads). I just feel really sorry for her FDIL and her son if she acts like this IRL... that poor girl is in for more than she probably realizes.

WAIT... its ok to personally attack ME though???  You are a piece of work.  I am finished with this entire conversation since there seems to be 2 sets of rules.  Its ok to attack me, but if I say anything, you yell for an Admin. 

It was neither a joke nor an attack.  Given how hostile and how personally you've taken the OP's posts, it sounded like a reasonable possibility.

If you want people to take your advice seriously, then lose the name-calling, sarcasm, and hostile attitude.
  • I didn't attack you, call you any names or otherwise. If there's any violation, @knotporscha will warn me - she administers warnings fairly. I really think you need to freshen up on the TOS...

• Thank you for pointing out the TOS.  I went back and read them again.  It made reporting violations so much easier.
  • jeull64 said:
    Respect is earned and not demanded.

But it IS expected that one be called by her own name.  To think otherwise is just plain silly.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• +misslisa said:

Methinks the MOG on the thread is taking this very, very personally. She's reading this as a suggestion that a new wife should 'cause a rift' between a new husband and his parents, and it's rankling her big-time.

It has nothing to do with any of us. I wish she could see that this situation has nothing to do with HER.

That would seem to be the case.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

• The fact that jeull64 cannot see the vast chasm of difference in someone referring to her as "a piece of work," and her telling someone that she should remove herself from the gene pool truly has me floored.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    jlhart76 said: At a former job, I was covering for Laurie, the CEOs secretary. He paged me "Laurie, I need..." I replied, "This is Okie, Laurie isn't in but I'd be happy to do that for you." After the third time he called and I told him my name, he snapped "I don't care what your name is, Ill call you whatever I damn well want." Then he called my supervisor, who had a talk with me about "respecting your supervisors". Because of that, I'm sensitive to call people by the name they wish to be called. Its a matter of respecting them as a human being. I'm glad you got lectured because your CEO obviously had so much respect for you. I don't understand how you couldn't just return it! 
    imageETA: Why am I in the quote boooooooooooooooooooooox!?!?!?!??
  • jeull64 said:
    Southernbelle IS overreacting, in my opinion.  And, I think its whining, again my opinion.  She didnt like my opinion and how I expressed it in a public forum, so she complained that I violated TOS and asked that I be warned. 

Now, her fellow lynch mob bridezillas have chosen me as their next target.  Just as I predicted.  Bet no one will complain about their various violations of the TOS.  I certainly wont be asking someone to ban anyone for an opposing view.   Its real life, welcome to it.

My choice to respect, or not respect my DIL has nothing to do with that.  Just because Southernbelle doesnt get what she wants from her inlaws has zero bearing on how I should (or will) interact with my DIL or son for that matter.  To make the conclusion that because I think its childish to have an issue with someone refusing to call someone something specific means that I am going to be a horrible mother in law, or person in general is illogical. 

Oh Jesus. 

There is no lynch mob. And to use the term for a bunch of people disagreeing with you on the internet, is ludicrous. Fine - you disagree that she has the right to be called by her legal and preferred name. A bunch of people have opinions that differ from yours. THAT is the "real life" that's going down here. Quit being so f***ing dramatic about it already. 
  • ElcaB said:
    jlhart76 said:
    At a former job, I was covering for Laurie, the CEOs secretary. He paged me "Laurie, I need..." I replied, "This is Okie, Laurie isn't in but I'd be happy to do that for you." After the third time he called and I told him my name, he snapped "I don't care what your name is, Ill call you whatever I damn well want." Then he called my supervisor, who had a talk with me about "respecting your supervisors". Because of that, I'm sensitive to call people by the name they wish to be called. Its a matter of respecting them as a human being.
    I'm glad you got lectured because your CEO obviously had so much respect for you. I don't understand how you couldn't just return it! 
    Huh? The CEO had no respect for her.
  • Jen4948 said:
    ElcaB said:
    jlhart76 said:
    At a former job, I was covering for Laurie, the CEOs secretary. He paged me "Laurie, I need..." I replied, "This is Okie, Laurie isn't in but I'd be happy to do that for you." After the third time he called and I told him my name, he snapped "I don't care what your name is, Ill call you whatever I damn well want." Then he called my supervisor, who had a talk with me about "respecting your supervisors". Because of that, I'm sensitive to call people by the name they wish to be called. Its a matter of respecting them as a human being.
    I'm glad you got lectured because your CEO obviously had so much respect for you. I don't understand how you couldn't just return it! 
    I sensed sarcasm in that post. Also - that gif cracks me up!! Throwback AND applicable. My favorite :)

• Jen4948 said:
    I sensed sarcasm in that post. Also - that gif cracks me up!! Throwback AND applicable. My favorite :)
    Yeah, cute gif. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Jen4948 said:
    ElcaB said:
    jlhart76 said:

Indeed, you did  :) 

ETA: Because I'm still in the freaking QB. 
  • ElcaB said:
    Jen4948 said:
    ElcaB said:
    jlhart76 said:

Indeed, you did  :) 

ETA: Because I'm still in the freaking QB. 
    Ahhhhhhh.  My apologies, ElcaB.
  • Just throwing in a different prospective... My FI and our daughter have one last name and I have my last name (haven't decided if I'm changing it or not). I get mail to The HisName Family; Mike, H, and Isabella HisName; Mike and H HisName; etc. Also, because of our daughter, I'm often called Mrs. HisName since people know hers and assume. After the first bit of correcting people, I've decided to go with it. When daycare called my office the other day, they goofed and my admin just said thank you and put them through. If his mom wants to send us an awesome care package with The HisName Family, I'm going to enjoy the cookies and not get my shorts in a bunch over how it was addressed. Not everyone sees it as a big deal. It may not even be a big deal to them...
  • Back to the name issue : I agree with @SingleMom31
    I am a huge fan of keeping one's  maiden name. But if you do that, naturally people will not always call you Ms. Maidenname, if they know only the names of the other members of your family.  SingleMom31  pointed out to children/school situations. If your children have different last name than yours - your husbands name, the other parents will call you Mrs. Husband's ( children's) last name. If someone wants to casually invite your family,  or even mention your family,  it will be "lets invite the Simpsons", not " Lets invite the Simpsons and Marge Maidenname" . Which doesn't sound better, by the way, because it sounds as if she is not part of the same family .

Also the "Mrs". comes from "the mistress",  meaning the female person of power in a household. And of course that is the wife of the male person of power in the household.  With that said,  Mrs also means "the wife of..."  You can't be Mrs. Maidenname, because it's your father's name and you are not married to him.  It's your mother who is "the Mrs"  there - the female of power in your father's  household.  You, legally Ms. Maidenname , are "the mistress" ( the Mrs, the person in charge, the female of power, etc. ) of  the household of Husbandsname ( children included)

I don't know what the intentions of those inlaws were , but maybe they were just overexcited and wanted the address to somehow show that it is to a married couple? Pretty much everybody who wants to address you as a family, would address you as Mrs and Mr Hisname, or "the Hisnames"
    Wouldn't bother me at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards