Wedding Etiquette Forum

How do I let friends & family know that they will not be invited?

Hello all! Thanks first off for your input. I have one main question and a few others as well.

My FI and I have decided on a small wedding. 11 guests, no significant others unless already married, no plans on budging on this. I've already asked my MOH if this was okay with her before we even sent out official invites. I then let my other non married guests know this as well. They were way cool about it. We are trying to keep down costs, as we just found out we are pregnant, but do not want to completely be cheap. We have a $2000 budget for everything, except the wine which is from my personal stock. Also, I have never wanted a big wedding, but have decided to invite the people who are important to me and my FI. Since my FI and I have been together for years I am quite sure that certain friends and family will be put out by not being invited. How do I inform my family and friends that it is not meant to be a slight?

As for our wedding plans: Halloween Morning, courthouse steps, rain or shine, having a friend deputized to perform the ceremony, have requested Cocktail to dressy casual, no wedding photographer, luncheon to be followed at a restaurant my FI and I have enjoyed. I will choose appetizers, and have guests order off the menu. I will provide the bubbles and red wine, and will be having cupcakes & small cake in several flavors.

Re: How do I let friends & family know that they will not be invited?

• What she ^^^ said. It's insulting to your guests to tell them what to wear. If non-invitees ask about your wedding, just tell them it's a small private wedding.
  • Tell them that you are having a very small wedding with only your parents, etc.  
  • I do NOT see the big deal with not inviting SO's. We are having a much larger wedding than you, and most SOs will not be invited. FI and I have each been invited to weddings without the other, and it was never a big deal to us. Honestly if someone really takes issue with it, they won't come- no sweat off my back.  Our closest friends get a date, but only because we are also friends with the SO as well. Cousin Johnie who we haven't seen in 10 years and is only getting an invite because he is part of the circle, will not. I'm not a fan of having people we never met at our wedding.

If any of your other friends ask, I'd say that we are planning a courthouse wedding/eloping.
  • SO's are social units, and it's poor manners to separate social units.

More to the point, on a day dedicated to the love you and your spouse have for each other, does it feel right to separate established couples? Didn't think so.
  • I do NOT see the big deal with not inviting SO's. We are having a much larger wedding than you, and most SOs will not be invited. FI and I have each been invited to weddings without the other, and it was never a big deal to us. Honestly if someone really takes issue with it, they won't come- no sweat off my back.  Our closest friends get a date, but only because we are also friends with the SO as well. Cousin Johnie who we haven't seen in 10 years and is only getting an invite because he is part of the circle, will not. I'm not a fan of having people we never met at our wedding.

If any of your other friends ask, I'd say that we are planning a courthouse wedding/eloping.
    Well then have fun being rude. People are going to be pissed at you and snicker behind your back. 
    Pissed? Don't come, I'll save the $100. Honestly the only person I NEED in attendance on my wedding day is the groom and two witnesses.  Snicker, my reply is always "I have been called worse by  way better." 
  • Teddy917 said:

I know you said that you weren't planning on budging but I'll point it out anyway. Not inviting SOs is rude. And what if someone was getting married the next day (that you didnt know about)? Wouldn't you feel bad later that you didn't let the spouse come?
    Also don't put anything about attire unless it is truely black or white tie or it's venue rules.
    Now for your real question: Don't inform them. If they bring it up say that you couldn't invite everyone that you wanted and then bean dip.

I love this___^^ you guys turned me into .a.EW!!

• NYCBruin said:
    I do NOT see the big deal with not inviting SO's. We are having a much larger wedding than you, and most SOs will not be invited. FI and I have each been invited to weddings without the other, and it was never a big deal to us. Honestly if someone really takes issue with it, they won't come- no sweat off my back.  Our closest friends get a date, but only because we are also friends with the SO as well. Cousin Johnie who we haven't seen in 10 years and is only getting an invite because he is part of the circle, will not. I'm not a fan of having people we never met at our wedding.

Well then have fun being rude. People are going to be pissed at you and snicker behind your back. 
    Pissed? Don't come, I'll save the $100. Honestly the only person I NEED in attendance on my wedding day is the groom and two witnesses.  Snicker, my reply is always "I have been called worse by  way better." 
    If you don't care about the feelings of your guests, why are you even inviting them?

Is saving $100 bucks really worth more than your relationship with someone?  Maybe it's time to rethink your priorities.

If you don't care about your guests, elope and save all the money.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Rain or shine on the courthous steps? Why? And as a frequent user of the courthouse, security isn't going to like you clogging up the steps

I think you'll be losing a lot of friendships with that attitude.  I hope that's no sweat off your back.
  • We're doing 18 people because my dream venue doesn't allow for any more.  This leaves out A LOT of relatives and acquaintances so we're avoiding the issue all together.  Don't talk about the wedding, don't announce the engagement and after it's over send out a beautiful announcement with your best wedding photo. I have to agree with the SO's- we're not talking "dates" we're talking actual relationships and with a guest list so small (mom/dad/ siblings/ MOH and best man?), everyone there should be the closest people in your lives- which mean you know their partners well.  

• banana468 said:
    I do NOT see the big deal with not inviting SO's. We are having a much larger wedding than you, and most SOs will not be invited. FI and I have each been invited to weddings without the other, and it was never a big deal to us. Honestly if someone really takes issue with it, they won't come- no sweat off my back.  Our closest friends get a date, but only because we are also friends with the SO as well. Cousin Johnie who we haven't seen in 10 years and is only getting an invite because he is part of the circle, will not. I'm not a fan of having people we never met at our wedding.

Why do you consistently advise others to not follow etiquette on the etiquette board?
    I would love to know this as well. If you know what proper etiquette is, why are you saying you aren't following it and are proud that you are being rude to your guests by not inviting SOs, not hosting guests properly, having a dollar dance, etc, etc, etc.?????
    When people are that adamant, I normally think they are a troll. 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • NYCBruin said:
    banana468 said:

Why do you consistently advise others to not follow etiquette on the etiquette board?
    I would love to know this as well. If you know what proper etiquette is, why are you saying you aren't following it and are proud that you are being rude to your guests by not inviting SOs, not hosting guests properly, having a dollar dance, etc, etc, etc.?????
    Her SN does declare that she is a "cheap" bride.  So apparently being rude doesn't matter as long as it saves money and/or raises money.  Money > people, duh!
    Then back to my point about her eloping and saving all her money.
    But then she wouldn't get gifts!  Or have guests to tell her how beautiful she is.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • AddieL73 said:
    Yes, what better way to celebrate love and unity than by not inviting the loves and social units in your life......everybody dance!

But who will they dance with if their SOs can't come????
    The bride and groom, of course!  The all are tooooootally cool with it and love and adore the bride and groom and isn't that what the reception is for, to show the bride and groom how much you love and adore them and if guests don't like it they can get the fuck out?!  Nobody needs their SO there when they should be focused on the happy couple! 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited August 2013
    Would like to thank everyone for their input. I can understand differing points of view. Regardless, my point of view & wishes matter most. So I have not been shamed into inviting SOs, and am moving forward with my plans. This is actually more to do with my MOH and my great friend Z who used to be a couple, and well now she can't stand him and hasn't seen him since they broke up. I don't need for those 2, and their SOs to become clickish at my small wedding, but I will not choose between the two of them, as to who can attend my wedding. My apologies for not having having made that detail known prior. I guess that, I don't believe in standing on ceremony and inviting more people than I could possibly want to host. For those who find this rude that, is honestly okay with me. Also, the $2000 is for everything from invites,dress, suit, shoes, court fees, cupcakes, lunch reception, hair & makeup, and not just the reception alone.

I have only mentioned to those who have asked if they're invited, that they are not. That is truly the way to go.

Though you're in the minority, I'm glad you are able to see things my way. Though, I would hate for one of my friends to take issue with it, I would understand if they were slighted and didn't come. I would not like it, but I would understand, and well frankly I would get over it. Once again, thanks for your input and being the Devil's advocate in this conversation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards