Luxury Weddings

Bridesmaids Gifts

Re: Bridesmaids Gifts

• Viczaesar said:
    I would hate those necklaces and monogrammed bathrobes, and there's no way I would be letting someone take pictures of me in a robe. 

I was just in my brother's wedding and we al had matching robes. However, my SIL also bought us matching tanks and cotton shorts to wear under the robes. So, I certainly did not mind being photographed that way at all.

I think we've come to the conclusion that BM gifts are a very personal thing. I know all of my BMs loved jewelry and I knew that because I knew them so well. It's really up to each person what they are comfortable buying for their friends and at what price point.

That's a great idea!  Most of the girls I'm planning on asking to be my BM's have actually mentioned the idea to me as something they think is cute.  However, if one of them was uncomfortable with the idea of being photographed in a robe, I would obviously tell her to wear whatever she is comfortable in, or ask the photographer not to photograph her if she wanted to wear it, but not have her picture taken.
  • @ssautter- I have a pic of me in the robe somewhere floating around here. It's not really a robe in the sense of what most people think. But, since it was shorter and loose fitting satin, having shorts and tanks was essential. So, it was more of a "coat" over the outfit. We all had white tanks and lavender cotton shorts (wisteria was the wedding color.) The MOB and MOG had light purple button up shirts with MOB and MOG embroidered on the front and white cotton shorts.

• ssautter said:
    Viczaesar said:
    I would hate those necklaces and monogrammed bathrobes, and there's no way I would be letting someone take pictures of me in a robe. 

I was just in my brother's wedding and we al had matching robes. However, my SIL also bought us matching tanks and cotton shorts to wear under the robes. So, I certainly did not mind being photographed that way at all.

I think we've come to the conclusion that BM gifts are a very personal thing. I know all of my BMs loved jewelry and I knew that because I knew them so well. It's really up to each person what they are comfortable buying for their friends and at what price point.

That's a great idea!  Most of the girls I'm planning on asking to be my BM's have actually mentioned the idea to me as something they think is cute.  However, if one of them was uncomfortable with the idea of being photographed in a robe, I would obviously tell her to wear whatever she is comfortable in, or ask the photographer not to photograph her if she wanted to wear it, but not have her picture taken.
    I'm glad to hear that.

• @Azalea. Those robes are adorable!

FWIW, since there was some back and forth over this, I didn't actually have robes for my BMs. I actually didn't even have BMs for my second wedding. I had a robe for my brother's wedding. It was a cute idea, the bride ran it past everyone first (though she knew everyone in the wedding super well, so she didn't really have to ask), and there are only a few pictures of us in them.

• @thisismynickname that's a really good point, thanks!  I wasn't planning on putting my wedding or anything on the robes - just the BM's name or initials.  I agree that getting them shirts that say "Steph's wedding!" would be way over the top.  I just want to do something cute in addition to their bigger gift (jewelry, etc.).
  • The necklaces are really cute. I would wait to purchase until you ask them to be your bridesmaids and they confirm. You never what what life will throw your way and who will be able to attend or not.Would you want the girls to wear the necklaces for the wedding? The robes are always a nice touch for the photos. 
  • I think at the end of the day, you need to choose something you know your BM's will like and appreciate and use in public. 

Speaking as a former sorority girl (and I say this with Pi Love), there is this odd compulsion for people to memorialize everything.  Let me just say this.... I saw a guy at the gym wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off that said something like "John and Jane Wedding Party, June 2012".  

Some people have jobs that provide a lot of "swag" too. Oh, and I run races so have a t-shirt for each race.  So let's see, I have shot glasses left over from college that say ADeePi, I have t-shirts from races, tote bags with work logos, monogrammed jewelry/wine glasses/shot glasses from weddings.... All of which I never use unless I am at the gym, or lounging around sick and barfing, or drinking myself to tears watching chick flicks.

Point is, memorializing needs to die when college ends. We're adults, find something classy that people will enjoy receiving as a gift and actual wear or use in public!  
    hahaha how did I miss this? It's so true..
    *********************************************************************************

• I think at the end of the day, you need to choose something you know your BM's will like and appreciate and use in public. 

Speaking as a former sorority girl (and I say this with Pi Love), there is this odd compulsion for people to memorialize everything.  Let me just say this.... I saw a guy at the gym wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off that said something like "John and Jane Wedding Party, June 2012".  

Some people have jobs that provide a lot of "swag" too. Oh, and I run races so have a t-shirt for each race.  So let's see, I have shot glasses left over from college that say ADeePi, I have t-shirts from races, tote bags with work logos, monogrammed jewelry/wine glasses/shot glasses from weddings.... All of which I never use unless I am at the gym, or lounging around sick and barfing, or drinking myself to tears watching chick flicks.

Point is, memorializing needs to die when college ends. We're adults, find something classy that people will enjoy receiving as a gift and actual wear or use in public!  
    hahaha how did I miss this? It's so true..
    LOL that is true! I wear my sorority stuff when I'm doing yard work or working out. I sometimes wear my work swag out and about to run errands, but it's not very obvious what the company is when you look at it. But, then again, I'm so casual that it would be normal for me to wear it often because I'm almost always bumming around. LOL

This is so true.  I made a quilt from all of my sorority t-shirts and I love it, but if I hadn't made a quilt, I would have zero use for them.

The only thing that we plan on having with our names on it at our wedding are the bags for the candy bar and maybe something pre-printed on photobooth strips so people remember when they took the photos.

My 'maids will be getting individual gifts suited to their personality/tastes.  Maybe they'll get "matching" manicures the day before (meaning I will pay for all of them to get their nails done in a shade of their choosing), but other than that, no matching.  Even their dresses won't be 100% matching.  

Perhaps 4 years of Rush left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to "matching" outfits and things?  Haha.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I adore those necklaces.  When I saw that you were getting something from Tiffany my first thought was that it might be too flashy for a wedding gift, but I think these are just perfect.  I might steal this idea for my own wedding!  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • I shopped for my girls individually, for things I thought they would like and not having anything to do with the wedding.

That said, I happened to buy 5 of them Coach bags (not all the same-all different in their own styles) and 2 of them Tiffany's gift cards.  I am currently adding a massage gift certificate to each of them as well as a little something extra, since all of them enjoy the salon/spa experience.

• I call BS on most of this. 

Nothing like drama for no reason. Bored, much?

Why?

@Ktjanesmom Why???

• I got my two girls this: http://gifts.redenvelope.com/gifts/jewelry-roll-30090134?ref=RE_CatalogRecipient_15off&viewpos=28&trackingpgroup=RJEWL  so they can travel with whatever jewelry they want! I am going to put a bracelet in the one for my MOH and a necklace in the one for my BM that they can wear to the wedding or not. I also am getting them both access to a quarterly wine club that will send wine to their house. 

I need help figuring out what to get my parents now! 

Why?
    It's the luxury board, and there are plenty of people who can and do buy things like this as gifts. I know people who make enough that they can and do spend it on things such as this, so why is that so hard to believe?
  • edited January 2014
    CaliMel11 said:
    I call BS on most of this. 
    Why?
    It's the luxury board, and there are plenty of people who can and do buy things like this as gifts. I know people who make enough that they can and do spend it on things such as this, so why is that so hard to believe?

It may have been directed at everyone, but honestly, I think she just had a problem with me in general, as she didn't like that I posted about details of my first wedding/marriage. She found it annoying and tried to (maybe successfully) to block me. Whatever the case, I just try to share my experience as my weddings were polar opposites of one another.

edit- computer froze

• CaliMel11 said:
    Why?

It may have been directed at everyone, but honestly, I think she just had a problem with me in general, as she didn't like that I posted about details of my first wedding/marriage. She found it annoying and tried to (maybe successfully) to block me. Whatever the case, I just try to share my experience as my weddings were polar opposites of one another.

edit- computer froze

She is also known for terrible etiquette advice in general.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am making each bridesmaid a clutch and their own signature perfume. I plan to purchase a couple other small things to put into each clutch as well for each girl.
  • I'm still trying to think of good gifts for my MOH and bridesmaids.
    most of the gift ideas I have seen [not on this thread] are terrible.
  • I want to get my bridesmaids and MOH necklaces from Swarovski but didn't find any I liked so far :(
  • antotoantoto member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Suggestion - Check out Kate Spade jewelry.  Super cute idiom bangles, and much more reasonably priced :)

• I got my BM an adorable Kate Landry clutch. Its one of the minaudière bags and it's a butterfly. I have the owl so I thought it'd be fun for photos. I'm also buying her dress, shoes and all that jazz. I'll add some oth things in as I find them too.  

We are gifting her and her husband (best man) a vacation. We're going to babysit the kids and let the have a special getaway without ay worries.
  • antoto said:
    Suggestion - Check out Kate Spade jewelry.  Super cute idiom bangles, and much more reasonably priced :)

I love the Kate Spade bridal collection!  I was thinking of doing that for gifts as well.  

photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • @drexelkathy You are right! I used to wear Tiffany's when I was a teenager! I would never buy it for my bridesmaids.. I'm also in my late 20's!
  • I just brought all my bridesmaids Swarvoski necklaces and I got my MOH a necklace and matching bracelet!
    http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/1082753/product/Nouba_Necklace.html
  • CaliMel11 said:
    Why?

edit- computer froze

Thank you for sharing your experiences. You are one of my favorite knotties and I love your travel advice.
  • I bought my MOH a Tiffany necklace from The Gatsby Collection.  I bought it as a "Will you be my MOH gift"  I have no idea what to give the other girls for the actual wedding.  But i agree that jewelrymay not fit everyone and monogrammed items may seem good at the time but if you have many unmarried women in the bridal party, they may not be "useful" for a long time.  Shopping for each person individually is the best option.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards