• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Ceremony and Vow Ideas

Walking Down the Aisle with 2 Parents?

So, I have kind of an odd situation. My dad has been my dad since I was born and he and my mom were married up until six months ago. The reason they divorced is because my dad is transgender and halfway through her transition to a woman. I'm thinking about having both of them walk me down the aisle, since I'm equally close to both. Am I missing any potential problems with this?

Re: Walking Down the Aisle with 2 Parents?

• Actually, the former/current genders of your parents are irrelevant. :) If you want to have both parents walk you down the aisle, that's fine. It's common in Jewish weddings anyway.

If your father is transitioning, ask him/her how he/she wants to be identified in the programmes; female name and pronouns, etc.

Congrats to you for being so understanding of your father's new identity!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
    [Deleted User]tally7acanon526
  • Thanks. She's actually had all her legal documents changed to her correct name and gender. And my fiance is actually half Jewish (in heritage) so that part is actually kind of cool.
  • SP29SP29 member
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Nope.

You can have anyone you want walk you down the aisle. 

Your family sounds very loving and supportive, it would be lovely to have both walk you down. 
  • phiraphira Bahstin member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary 5 Answers
    You can definitely have both parents walk you down the aisle. Honestly, I feel like the only limitation in terms of who walks you down the aisle ... is that you only have two arms!

I also wanted to say that I hope that your dad's transition is going well (I don't know if you still refer to her as your dad or not--I'm sorry if that's not correct).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
    tally7
  • No problems at all. Enjoy having both your parents walk you down :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards