Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Cellphone/Camera ban

Re: Cellphone/Camera ban

• We will be asking our guests not to take photographs or use flash photography during the ceremony by asking our Pastor to announce it as well as having a sign. With that being said, the two people who probably will not adhere to this rule will be my dad and uncle. My uncle take and captures pro shots and people will think he is another photography. My dad on the other hand is my dad. I will not trip if people take pics, it is merely a preference. We talked about it with our photographer and she gave very good reasons for doing it, but totally left the decision up to us.
  • I think the other brides put it well, you can ask all electronics and cameras be put away during the ceremony, but not the reception. I love taking pictures, LOVE IT, and sometimes your friends and family catch moments your photographer is too busy to catch or is off doing something with you guys. It's not going to hurt to have extra pictures anyway. As a guest, i'd be pissed if you asked me not to take pictures at all.
  • hheartsc22hheartsc22 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2013
    I am still playing with wording for mine, I will keep some of these suggestions in mind.
  • One way you can prevent people from walking into the aisle is draping the side of the rows with something. My two friends at each of their weddings, they draped ribbon along the aisle entrance from the rows so people couldn't step out in the aisle and block the photographer.

In regards to the photos, I think now you think it will be a big deal, but later on down the road you'll be thankful you have some of the candid shots. My fiance is a photographer by hobby and the most important thing to him when choosing our wedding photographer was how much candid/photo journalistic shots they had in their portfolio. Of course we'll have the posed/portrait shots after the ceremony, but it was a concern for both of us for our friends and family to look natural. I know for my future sister-in-law's wedding, some of her best photos came from guests. I've noticed at the handful of weddings I've been to that people don't typically walk in front of the aisle.

Just breathe...either way you're still marrying the man of your dreams. :-)

• That totally makes sense. There is a big difference between snapping a picture and uploading it.
  • banana468 said:
    Just thought I would share http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wedding-social-media-etiquette-173100324.html
    That totally makes sense. There is a big difference between snapping a picture and uploading it.
    I like how the article says, at the ceremony, your job is to bear witness to the ritual of a wedding, after the bride and groom kiss, then it becomes a celebration, and you become a guest to their reception. And that you owe it to the sacredness of that wedding to respect the "sanctity of the occasion". 
  • Someone taking a pic with a cell phone doesn't ruin any pro photos. But someone taking a shot with an obnoxiously bright flash can. Personally I don't care either way. My 'photographer' will be my sis in law armed with a decent quality point and click so I'm hoping others take pics and share with me.
  • jlhart76 said:
    Someone taking a pic with a cell phone doesn't ruin any pro photos. But someone taking a shot with an obnoxiously bright flash can. Personally I don't care either way. My 'photographer' will be my sis in law armed with a decent quality point and click so I'm hoping others take pics and share with me.
    The flash doesn't have to be obnoxious or bright for it to affect the professional image--any flash can mess up the color balance..even the red/green beams that help focus the camera can show up in pro pictures.  There's also eyes/body language to look at.  If 7 or 8 people are looking at the pro, and 1 is making a funny face at their cousin standing 3 feet to the right holding their iPhone, it changes the picture.  I don't completely agree or disagree with you, I just want to bring up that multiple cameras can bring up logistical problems. 
  • banana468 said:
    Just thought I would share http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wedding-social-media-etiquette-173100324.html
    That totally makes sense. There is a big difference between snapping a picture and uploading it.
    I like how the article says, at the ceremony, your job is to bear witness to the ritual of a wedding, after the bride and groom kiss, then it becomes a celebration, and you become a guest to their reception. And that you owe it to the sacredness of that wedding to respect the "sanctity of the occasion". 
    If I saw this in a program, I'd honestly roll my eyes so hard it isn't funny.

Guests don't have a "job" at a wedding.  They are invited guests. 
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jlhart76 said:
    Someone taking a pic with a cell phone doesn't ruin any pro photos. But someone taking a shot with an obnoxiously bright flash can. Personally I don't care either way. My 'photographer' will be my sis in law armed with a decent quality point and click so I'm hoping others take pics and share with me.
    The flash doesn't have to be obnoxious or bright for it to affect the professional image--any flash can mess up the color balance..even the red/green beams that help focus the camera can show up in pro pictures.  There's also eyes/body language to look at.  If 7 or 8 people are looking at the pro, and 1 is making a funny face at their cousin standing 3 feet to the right holding their iPhone, it changes the picture.  I don't completely agree or disagree with you, I just want to bring up that multiple cameras can bring up logistical problems. 
    You can't control where everyone looks and you can't control a funny looking cousin standing near your photographer. Serious bridezilla territory.

Anniversary

• The bottom line is this:

YOU chose to hire a photographer, it is their JOB and responsibility to capture the event in the most flattering and best way. By hiring them you have shown that you TRUST them to do this. If you didn't, you wouldn't of hired a photographer. You could just as easily use your guests images to remember the day.

Your guests have been invited to your event. While some may think it pushy, you paid for everything: planned it, hired the vendors, chose the decorations. It is about you and your intended, it is rude of your guests to not respect your wishes. You did not have to invite them after all.
  • We're encouraging people to take pictures, but we're having our officiant announce that no flash photography is allowed because it is prohibited by the church.

• I think this is a fabulous idea! Our officiant will ask our guests to put away cameras and cell phones. In my cousin's wedding pictures, almost everyone has a phone up and taking pictures. Yuck. The reception is fine, and our ceremony will take 10 minutes, they can put down their phones for that long!
  • I have been thinking about doing this for the ceremony, when the bride is walking down the aisle is one of the most photographed times and I hate seeing pictures where everyone is looking throught their camera/phone insted of what is going on (the Bride). This is why we are paying someone to take pictures so that you (the Guest) can be just that!

• My photographer is verrrrry stern that brides should have it announced not to take pictures during the ceremony as it blocks her shots numerous times. I already told her she'll have to boot my dad out of the aisle and take it away from him.... Good thing my photographer is a friend lol
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • You obviously can't take your guests phones/technology. But I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask them to turn cell phones off during the ceremony. I plan on doing this at my own. At the reception? Go crazy, but when we're having an intimate ceremony, I'd rather the phones be put away. 
  • I like the idea of asking ppl to refrain from using cameras and smart phones during the ceremony. As a society we are so "plugged in." Ceremonies are typically only 20 minutes anyway! Thought this was relevant:  http://gawker.com/short-film-about-smartphone-overuse-is-smart-poignant-1189811144
  • I've just noticed this trend of "unplugged weddings" and I think it's freaking weird. 

The more pics, the better. I have a pro but I would love to have people putting up their candids before the pros get pics back to me. Plus they will want pics of their own too. 

I would hope that guests would have the courtesy of not sitting on their phones all night, but I suppose if they do it's their prerogative. I would never demand everyone have their phones off- they may need to check in with their babysitter or just, you know, be adults and have the freedom to check their phone every once in a while if they want to.

I would be pretty annoyed if I were a guest and told to do this like I'm in a high school class or something. The only issue I see with having phones/cameras out might be somebody getting in the way of the pro, but in that case I'd hope they'd have the cajones to say "excuse me". 
  • Also just throwing it out there, no matter how many requests you make or how cute the poem is you write in the program (which I would advise against anyways), there will be people who won't listen and take a picture or have their phone on. I was I church last weekend and the priest's phone rang in the middle. If the person who MADE the announcement to turn off phones can forget to actually do so, I think it's safe to say that someone will always forget. I've been on vacation touring different tourist hot spots including many churches that don't allow photos. No matter how many signs, announcements, and guards there are, someone always thinks that they are the exception to the rules.

There may be a flash that ruins a photo or a phone that rings in the middle of the ceremony. It isn't going to "ruin" your day unless you let it. Seriously, don't worry yourself trying to figure out how to control your guests. Because you can't. And trying to beyond a simple request is just going to stress you out and upset you when it doesn't work.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I don't mind people taking photos, (At our reception we will have a camera at each table, asking guests to take candid photos of moments they love for us to publish and give back) I do mind people posting pictures that I have not seen yet to facebook. BUT, like previous posters have said, you can't do anything about that. People are going to take pictures and post what they want no matter what you tell them. I'm just going to have my pastor make a polite announcement asking people not to step into the isle. Thats all.
    You can set your settings so that they can't tag you without your approval.

Anniversary

• I just saw a news segment about unplugged weddings a few days ago. One particular couple had everyone check their phones and cameras with their coats. I guess it's becoming a popular trend.
  • I just saw a news segment about unplugged weddings a few days ago. One particular couple had everyone check their phones and cameras with their coats. I guess it's becoming a popular trend.

There's no way in hell I would ever do this. I'd be keeping my phone in my purse or leaving the ceremony.

These brides are control freaks.

• PDKH said:
    I just saw a news segment about unplugged weddings a few days ago. One particular couple had everyone check their phones and cameras with their coats. I guess it's becoming a popular trend.

There's no way in hell I would ever do this. I'd be keeping my phone in my purse or leaving the ceremony.

That' what I said!  I wish they had interviewed some of their guests to go their reaction to checking their phones and cameras. We already know what the bride and groom think.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one worried a bit about this!  This is what I did - going to put a little blurb in my programs (and it's also on our website). I didn't want to come off as a bridezilla but also didn't want my first kiss pictures to end up with a random arm sticking out lol

"With the advance of cellphones, everyone is a photographer these days! We would love nothing more than to see all the great shots taken with your phones!

We picked an app that allows you all to upload what you take at the wedding, right to the site!  You just search your app store for WedPics. Once you have it, look for *******, that's us!

http://www.wedpics.com

We can't wait to see what pops up! We would only ask that during the service, be aware that we will have our photographer running around trying to get pictures too! So an arm sticking out of the aisle during our first kiss might not be the best idea.

*loud speaker amusement park voice* Please keep all arms and legs inside the wedding at all times. This is for your safety. We cannot be responsible for the Bride if she runs down the aisle to football tackle you due to errant arms.

Juuuust kidding!
    But do be considerate and remember this is a family wedding.

Snap away friends!! "

Hopefully the jokey manner will offset the fact that I'm worried people will not be aware of our photographer ( I do know my family and friends.. some of them won't think anything of raising an arm to get pics lol )  Of course, if we do get arms, legs, or whatever else - Photoshop is wonderful lol

• PDKH said:

I just saw a news segment about unplugged weddings a few days ago. One particular couple had everyone check their phones and cameras with their coats. I guess it's becoming a popular trend.

That' what I said!  I wish they had interviewed some of their guests to go their reaction to checking their phones and cameras. We already know what the bride and groom think.

I just wouldn't do this. If we bring phones and our DSLR to any place they're more expensive than anything else in our possession at the time. You can ask me not to take photos but I'm not checking my expensive stuff so you can be the control freak in white and lace.

• I'm glad I'm not the only one worried a bit about this!  This is what I did - going to put a little blurb in my programs (and it's also on our website). I didn't want to come off as a bridezilla but also didn't want my first kiss pictures to end up with a random arm sticking out lol

"With the advance of cellphones, everyone is a photographer these days! We would love nothing more than to see all the great shots taken with your phones!

We picked an app that allows you all to upload what you take at the wedding, right to the site!  You just search your app store for WedPics. Once you have it, look for *******, that's us!

We can't wait to see what pops up! We would only ask that during the service, be aware that we will have our photographer running around trying to get pictures too! So an arm sticking out of the aisle during our first kiss might not be the best idea.

*loud speaker amusement park voice* Please keep all arms and legs inside the wedding at all times. This is for your safety. We cannot be responsible for the Bride if she runs down the aisle to football tackle you due to errant arms.

Juuuust kidding!

Snap away friends!! "

Hopefully the jokey manner will offset the fact that I'm worried people will not be aware of our photographer ( I do know my family and friends.. some of them won't think anything of raising an arm to get pics lol )  Of course, if we do get arms, legs, or whatever else - Photoshop is wonderful lol
    Um, no, the joking does not make it any politer. And as was mentioned, the people who were going to do that kind of thing anyway will still do it. So you will annoy your polite guests for no reason.

"With the advance of cellphones, everyone is a photographer these
    days! We would love nothing more than to see all the great shots taken
    with your phones!

We picked an app that allows you all to upload what you take at the
    wedding, right to the site!  You just search your app store for WedPics.
    Once you have it, look for *******, that's us!

We can't wait to see what pops up! We would only ask that during the
    service, be aware that we will have our photographer running around
    trying to get pictures too! So an arm sticking out of the aisle during
    our first kiss might not be the best idea.

*loud speaker amusement park voice* Please keep all arms and legs
    inside the wedding at all times. This is for your safety. We cannot be
    responsible for the Bride if she runs down the aisle to football tackle
    you due to errant arms.

Juuuust kidding!

Snap away friends!! "

I don't normally take photos during the ceremony at weddings, but if I saw this I would want to take one or two just to spite you. This is one of the most patronizing and self-centered things I've ever read as far as wedding websites/programs go.

Just make an announcement at the beginning of the ceremony asking people to not take pictures during the ceremony. People will respect it or they won't. It's a reasonable request and you don't need to give an explanation or a reason for it.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • NYCBruin said:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one worried a bit about this!  This is what I did - going to put a little blurb in my programs (and it's also on our website). I didn't want to come off as a bridezilla but also didn't want my first kiss pictures to end up with a random arm sticking out lol

Juuuust kidding!

Snap away friends!! "

I don't normally take photos during the ceremony at weddings, but if I saw this I would want to take one or two just to spite you. This is one of the most patronizing and self-centered things I've ever read as far as wedding websites/programs go. Just make an announcement at the beginning of the ceremony asking people to not take pictures during the ceremony. People will respect it or they won't. It's a reasonable request and you don't need to give an explanation or a reason for it.
    LOL agreed 100%

Juuuust kidding!

Snap away friends!! "

Soooooooo I can't show my tits?

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards