Chit Chat
Options

Some people on here are pretty mean :(

Re: Some people on here are pretty mean :(

• Options

Some of the "ladies" commenting on this thread sound like they need a tampon. Just saying.

Are you looking for a suggestion regarding where to shove one?
    No but I'm sure you can give me some, you're probably an expert.
    Why, yes, yes I am an expert regarding suggestions for tampon shoving locations:

Up your nose:
    In Pie:
    Bedazzled, on your finger:
    In your pocket:
    In the trash:
    up your kid's nose:
    or my personal favorite, up your ass....soaked in vodka
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Gah WTF happened with my post?!  It's all funky!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Yeah, it's definitely a funky post. It was over my Tarra-avatar so I first figure someone hacked my account.
  • Options

All I can think about is Red giving Piper the tampon burger.

I think I've been watching too much Orange Is the New Black.

• Options

Some of the "ladies" commenting on this thread sound like they need a tampon. Just saying.

Are you looking for a suggestion regarding where to shove one?
    No but I'm sure you can give me some, you're probably an expert.
    Are you not?  How old are you?  Awww...did your mom not explain how to use them when you started your period a few months ago kiddo?  
  • Options

All I can think about is Red giving Piper the tampon burger.

I think I've been watching too much Orange Is the New Black.

I watched the entire season already! I'm on round 2!
  • Options
    @elcab, Why stop there? Celebrate EVERYTHING with yarn!
  • Options
    edited August 2013

jlhart76 said:
    I've read the posts in question and can't find anything approaching mean until the op starts insulting people who didn't like their opinion. As for the example given above about the mall, you're a bit off in your illustration. Its more like you're looking around a shop and pick up a hunter orange floor pillow, then turn to other shoppers and say "I love color so I think this would go perfect with my pastel pink couch. I already bought some lavender curtains and a bright red rug. These will look great, won't they?" and when they tell you its going to clash you get upset and argue that they must have lousy fashion taste because you KNOW it looks good and all of your friends have agreed. Friends will be more tactful because they're your friends and don't want to hurt your feelings. Anonymous strangers on the internet are more likely to tell you the truth. Especially when you ask etiquette questions that have been answered a thousand times already, but you still ask because you have an exceptional situation and obviously people should agree that it may be tacky in every other situation, but for you etiquette doesn't apply. If you don't want to have someone tell you an idea is bad, don't ask in a public forum. if you can't handle criticism then don't ask for other people's opinion.
    My FMIL Demanded we go dress shopping for her in the summer for our fall wedding. I said, they are going to have summer dresses, we should wait a few weeks.  We got there, and whadya know....summer, summer, and summer.

She got excited because everything was on sale. She put on a dress that was 2 sizes too small, made her look like Spongebob, and it was hot pink.

When asked what I thought, I was nice. I tried to avoid telling her she was too fat for the dress and focused onthat I thought it would look out of place being such a summery color. I said it would kind of look like someone highlighted her on all the photos and suggested that if she wanted pink, we could wait a few weeks and find more of a raspberry color for her. She kept asking me to forget colors and tell her what she looked like in it and I suggested a larger size. We went by the a few shirts that were fall colors and I showed them to her and she got all excited and said that color pink is exactly what she wanted.

She ended up telling my fiance how awful I was and how I didn't like anything and went out and bought them anyway. When she modeled them for others, they said the same things I did and asked if she wanted to look like a mother or an awkward standout guest.

But I'm the bad guy for saying it first. If I didn't say it, she'd be mad at me when the photos came back from the photographer. 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options

jlhart76 said:
    I've read the posts in question and can't find anything approaching mean until the op starts insulting people who didn't like their opinion. As for the example given above about the mall, you're a bit off in your illustration. Its more like you're looking around a shop and pick up a hunter orange floor pillow, then turn to other shoppers and say "I love color so I think this would go perfect with my pastel pink couch. I already bought some lavender curtains and a bright red rug. These will look great, won't they?" and when they tell you its going to clash you get upset and argue that they must have lousy fashion taste because you KNOW it looks good and all of your friends have agreed. Friends will be more tactful because they're your friends and don't want to hurt your feelings. Anonymous strangers on the internet are more likely to tell you the truth. Especially when you ask etiquette questions that have been answered a thousand times already, but you still ask because you have an exceptional situation and obviously people should agree that it may be tacky in every other situation, but for you etiquette doesn't apply. If you don't want to have someone tell you an idea is bad, don't ask in a public forum. if you can't handle criticism then don't ask for other people's opinion.
    My FMIL Demanded we go dress shopping for her in the summer for our fall wedding. I said, they are going to have summer dresses, we should wait a few weeks.  We got there, and whadya know....summer, summer, and summer.

She got excited because everything was on sale. She put on a dress that was 2 sizes too small, made her look like Spongebob, and it was hot pink.

When asked what I thought, I was nice. I tried to avoid telling her she was too fat for the dress and focused onthat I thought it would look out of place being such a summery color. I said it would kind of look like someone highlighted her on all the photos and suggested that if she wanted pink, we could wait a few weeks and find more of a raspberry color for her. She kept asking me to forget colors and tell her what she looked like in it and I suggested a larger size. We went by the a few shirts that were fall colors and I showed them to her and she got all excited and said that color pink is exactly what she wanted.

She ended up telling my fiance how awful I was and how I didn't like anything and went out and bought them anyway. When she modeled them for others, they said the same things I did and asked if she wanted to look like a mother or an awkward standout guest.

But I'm the bad guy for saying it first. If I didn't say it, she'd be mad at me when the photos came back from the photographer. 
    That's okay, because:

Anniversary

• Options
    I wasn't a bitch at all! I try really hard with her.

But......I do get stuff done. I ended up finding the dress she loves for $30
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I understand both points of view. However, some responses on the message boards are rude. Disagreements are going to occur almost always on a board filled with women who have their own mind and are planning their own big event. But there are some responses that are more than just blunt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being blunt, but when you go past that and actually mock someone's idea instead of offering constructive criticism, the comment becomes in fact rude.
    Everyone needs the truth rather than lies on here, but don't beat the bride with a stick because you disagree. 
  • Options

I wasn't a bitch at all! I try really hard with her.

But......I do get stuff done. I ended up finding the dress she loves for $30
    ^^^ True story.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited September 2013
    FiancB said:
    I've been a forum poster for a long time and typically enjoy the posters that are more blunt. I don't like people being nice for the sake of being nice and like honest opinions, when intelligent and tactful. Most of the forums I post on are horse related, which are their own special brand of crazy.

I swear though, one could write a goddamn psychological or sociological thesis about this board. 

Don't get me wrong. It's a great forum with a lot of people from a lot of different walks of life. But the obsession with tacky is getting kind of old. It's like a constant pissing contest to see who can find the "tacky" ideas first and do the bitchiest rundown of how it's tacky. 

First of all, I think it's people trying to reassure themselves that THEY are having the best wedding EVAR. By pointing out others' tacky ideas, they feel a little bit more reassured that they are not tacky. The more you demonize others for daring suggesting having a cash bar, the better you feel about your wedding. 

But then again, you don't want to feel like a bridezilla that is overspending, so you also have to attack people that are having a very expensive, luxe wedding. God forbid they're lucky enough to have someone that's happy to pay for it! Basically, if someone is spending more than someone else, they're a spoiled brat. If they show any sign of trying to save money and spend less, they're tacky. Motivation comes from either jealousy or wanting to feel like you're having the better wedding.

For all the hate that PPDs get, it seems that the only reason to get married is to have a Pretty Princess Day. It isn't about, you know, everyone having a good time and you getting legally/spiritually bound to someone you love. There are legal and financial reasons to get the paperwork done early but God forbid it doesn't take place on the same day as you going through this weird ritual of getting in a white dress and trying to impress everyone with your etiquette skills. 

I have a friend that got married just recently in a gorgeous park. She (gasp!) had paper plates, which isn't looked upon to favorably around here. You know what? The food on top of the paper plates was really good and it was a fabulous wedding. In the same venue I would do the same damn thing. Nobody gives a rat's butt. 

Weddings are out of control from what they used to be. Not that long ago it was normal to have a small, simple wedding with a quick cake and punch reception after and call it a day. Now if you're not having a full plated dinner omggggg how tacky!

Same goes for any suggestion of getting help with different tasks at the wedding. A lot of people do. That's what friends do. Friends are also understanding and forgiving but it seems any little BM drama is cause to not be friends with that person anymore. 

So all I'm saying I guess is calm the F down and think about the real motivation you may have for tearing into someone else. By no means am I saying to agree with every idea out there and go "that sounds great!" but seriously, trim the claws. 
    It is a fucking etiquette board that people post these topics on.

That's the only motivation for tearing into or advising against a tacky idea.

(edited for clarity)

imageimageimage

• Options
    Aw, you can google up some GIFs. So skilled. Have a cookie, you. 

If the only motivation is that it's tacky then I'm not sure why people get so deeply offended and are so vested in the interest in scaring away the tacky, since these are weddings of total strangers that you won't be attending. 
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    FiancB said:
    Aw, you can google up some GIFs. So skilled. Have a cookie, you. 

If the only motivation is that it's tacky then I'm not sure why people get so deeply offended and are so vested in the interest in scaring away the tacky, since these are weddings of total strangers that you won't be attending. 

I have attended two weddings with big etiquette no-nos. The first was a cash bar. The cash covered every drink except soda. I have to pay for water! I was extremely dismayed that my only option was to drink soda.

The other was no chairs at a ceremony. 45 minutes later it was over and a lot of guest's legs were sore. I know this because we spent the entire reception talking about it.

The brides in the above weddings didn't realize that they were against etiquette. I am sure there are other brides in the same predicament. We are just trying to help them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards