Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Tasting at the venue

I hope someone can help me understand this.  We have our tasting scheduled on Thursday 8/22.  There are 8 items on the tasting menu, 3 chicken, 3 meat and 2 fish.  We are allowed to chose 2 options.  The problem that I have is the CM told me to chose 2 items to taste.  I am basically confused on how I am supposed to chose 2 of the 8, if you only make us 2.  I kinda figured that we would at least get to try 2 chicken entrees and 2 meat entrees. I asked her if we could add the other 2 entrees to taste, she said yes but for a $25 for each.  How many entrees did all the B2B out there get to taste?

Re: Tasting at the venue

• Yeah, weird. Did you point out to her that if you don't care for one of them, then you are forced to make a blind selection? I always ask professionals what they recommend. If they recommend dish B and dish E, then that is what I'd probably choose to taste.
  • I think we tasted about 6 apps and 5 entrees.  I think that it is a little strange that your venue is limiting you to only 2 entrees out of the 8 they offer.

I like NYCs suggestion of asking them what is most popular/what they would recommend.  I would also ask what they will do if you decide that you don't like either option you chose to taste.  I think charging you $25 for each item past the two free entree tastings is a bit greedy on their part.

• We tasted 2 chicken entrees (we already knew which beef one we wanted) as well as 3 passed apps (we knew 1 already and wanted to pick 2 more).
  • We went to a group tasting so we were pretty much able to try everything.  Does your venue offer that?  If not and they don't budge on the price, I'd probably spend the extra $50 and try out 2 more entrees (split each entree between you and your FI and whoever else might be going, no need for everyone to have their own plate).  Food is one of the most important elements of a reception and you want to be sure you're making the right decision.  Good luck!
  • Ours only lets us try two, BUT we have to pay to taste... $20 per person.  We're not doing a tasting though esp. since I have eaten at the place numerous times along with most of my dad's side of the family.  My parents might do the tasting for us though just because they want too haha.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My venue that I'm considering won't even let me taste the food until I sign a contract with them.
  • engelsigh said:
    My venue that I'm considering won't even let me taste the food until I sign a contract with them.
    I would seriously reconsider that venue under those circumstances.
  • engelsigh said:
    My venue that I'm considering won't even let me taste the food until I sign a contract with them.

That's the way my venue was. They don't schedule a tasting until they have a signed contract and deposit. I can understand that from a buisness stand point.

I had two tastings. I was very lucky because the first one was scheduled but my fiance had to go away for military training so he was unable to attend. When they found out he was away they asked me if I wanted to schedule another one with just the two of us.

The tasting included a variety of different foods. Mostly, you're tasting the quality of the foods, not every item on the menu. They even gave us a check list of the menu so we could check off the ones we tried and make comments about which ones we liked and didn't like.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards