Wedding Reception Forum

Dancing?

Hello all! How much is dancing really expected at receptions? I know most people probably expect it when they go... but it's it so big of an expectation that it would be disappointing to not really have any? My FI and I do not dance... ever, at all. My family won't dance, most of his won't dance. I honestly can envision a dance floor where like five people are partying it up on their own and everyone else we know just watches.

Would a reception where we just eat with some background music be really boring? Is that uncommon? How do we keep people entertained with just a formal lunch/dinner?

Re: Dancing?

• nicolea19 said:
    Hello all! How much is dancing really expected at receptions? I know most people probably expect it when they go... but it's it so big of an expectation that it would be disappointing to not really have any? My FI and I do not dance... ever, at all. My family won't dance, most of his won't dance. I honestly can envision a dance floor where like five people are partying it up on their own and everyone else we know just watches. Would a reception where we just eat with some background music be really boring? Is that uncommon? How do we keep people entertained with just a formal lunch/dinner?
    I expect to see dancing at receptions....I've never been to one without it.  It's not the end of the world if there isn't dancing, but I probably wouldn't stay terribly long, especially if my DH and I don't know many people.  

I would probably steer towards an afternoon reception if you didn't want any dancing.....I tend to think "PARTY!" more with an evening reception.  Also, if you don't have any dancing or dance floor, be sure not to have any of the usual spotlight dances (ie first dance and parent dances).
  • Dancing is one of my favorite things about weddings, so I'd be bummed, but I wouldn't necessarily hold it against you  since good food, company, and drink are all that you need to have a nicely hosted reception. However, I also would probably leave a little early.

You know your crowd best. Remember just because you and your family wouldn't partake doesn't necessarily mean the rest of your guests wouldn't enjoy themselves. 

A formal lunch reception could be perfect for your wedding; I wouldn't expect dancing then. 
  • I've been to a late afternoon reception where heavy appetizers or food stations were provided and there was no dancing. It was fine. I figured it's really whatever the bride and groom prefer and I don't feel it's required. But I'm far from a traditional bride/person when it comes to these things. In my opinion very few things are required. It's all about what will make it special for the couple.
  • I love dancing & look forward to it at wedding receptions. However, if you're not a big fan and want to exclude it, that's perfectly acceptable. Your guests are grownups, so they should be able to entertain themselves with conversation. Don't expect your reception to last too long, though. 
  • I enjoy dancing at weddings, but I think it's more important that you have a reception that's authentic to you. If you want to minimize any disappointment, I agree that an afternoon wedding might be better because people don't typically dance that much at those. But really, as long as your guests are reasonably comfortable, you should do whatever feels right to you.
  • I've been to weddings without dancing plenty of times.  They have a different vibe than the weddings where people do but it's not the end of the world. Most of them have been morning or early afternoon wedding, but one was in the evening.  I personally love to dance at weddings and can't imagine our own day without it but that's really a "to each their own" thing. It's certainly not a requirement.
  • I think you should be able to have dancing as an option without everyone else having to watch. Tell the DJ you don't expect much dancing and he can keep the music volume a little lower (for chatting/mingling) and so he doesn't try to harangue people into dancing.

Anniversary

• It depends on the crowd you invite. I come from a family where we love to dance as do my friends. I learned very quickly at my wedding that my in-laws and all of their relatives love to dance. Had we not had a good dj, the reception would have been over quickly. Heck, we had to kick people out at the end of the night because there were still probably 30+ people out on the dance floor.

But if the majority of the people you invite aren't into dancing, then just maybe have some nice background music for people to enjoy. Do what will make you happy.

• I always expect dancing at weddings, especially one's that take place in the evening.  I love to dance and would be disappointed if a late evening reception didn't have any dancing.

Now if the wedding took place in the morning or early afternoon I wouldn't be expecting much dancing at all.

Just know that without dancing your reception is more likely to end early.

• It depends on the wedding. For example, if I were invited to a brunch/lunch wedding that was only slated for a couple of hours, I would not expect dancing at all.

At a dinner reception, I assume there will be dancing. I think this is a know-your-crowd thing. In your case, I think it's fine to clear just a small dance floor so it doesn't seem super empty since you only expect 5 or so people to dance. I'd still clear one, even if it's relatively small. At least people have the option. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks to everyone for their thoughts!!! 

My FI and I decided to have a four course formal lunch.  We will have some music and a clear space for people to dance if they choose, but it won't be a focal point of our reception.  Honestly, after talking to our friends who will eventually be guests, we hang out with people who just don't dance.  Most stated they always feel awkward at parties.  We hang out with a bunch of wall flowers, lol!
  • JoanE2012 said:

nicolea19 said:

Hello all! How much is dancing really expected at receptions? I know most people probably expect it when they go... but it's it so big of an expectation that it would be disappointing to not really have any? My FI and I do not dance... ever, at all. My family won't dance, most of his won't dance. I honestly can envision a dance floor where like five people are partying it up on their own and everyone else we know just watches.

Would a reception where we just eat with some background music be really boring? Is that uncommon? How do we keep people entertained with just a formal lunch/dinner?

I expect to see dancing at receptions....I've never been to one without it.  It's not the end of the world if there isn't dancing, but I probably wouldn't stay terribly long, especially if my DH and I don't know many people.  

I would probably steer towards an afternoon reception if you didn't want any dancing.....I tend to think "PARTY!" more with an evening reception.  Also, if you don't have any dancing or dance floor, be sure not to have any of the usual spotlight dances (ie first dance and parent dances).

Or just keep it casual.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards