Attire & Accessories Forum

city hall wedding - dress shopping

I am having a very simple civil cermony, afternoon in nyc in oct.  trying to decide between a a few different dresses. these two pictured here are bit opposite I know - black and white.   Any votes either direction?   My normal style definitely leans more the dark one, but I kind of like the silvery one also. I am 43 and have a pretty simple/classic style.  Any votes either direction?  or neither?  if you are having a city hall wedding, what are you wearing?

Re: city hall wedding - dress shopping

• You can't go wrong with either, IMHO. I love them both. The white one is more bridal, but the dark one rocks. What's the vibe you're going for?
  • I also like them both, but of course the white one is more bridal (and super cute). 

It really depends; 10 years from now, what do you want pictures to look like?
  • They are both pretty.  The dark one looks like a cocktail dress that you could wear to a party or something.  The lighter dress is more bridal while still being on the casual side.
  •  I really like the white one! As mentioned above, it's more 'bridal' & looks really nice on you! :) I don't love the second dress. It fits you nicely, but to me, it's more of a 'business' type outfit, or something you would wear to work. 

Regardless of opinions, you should go with whichever dress feels right to you! They both fit you beautifully. In the end, it's your wedding, your pictures etc. Wear what you feel awesome in! :)

*J
  • Love them both! I think you'd have more options to rewear the dark one, but then I started wearing white a lot more frequently after my wedding since I realized how good I look in it. So you might also rewear the white.
  • Thanks everyone, really helpful to hear your comments, I appreciate it.  The black dress is something I would wear normally and feels very "me." (I think I will buy it regardless as a dress I would wear.)  However I keep leaning toward the white/silvery one for the civil cermony even though it feels a little "prettier/cuter" than is my normal style. I wouldn't normally wear white/silver color normally either. But then again, this is my wedding!  I think I am gong to go with the silvery one!.  I wasn't sure if it was appropriate or looked OK on me, so very helpful to hear good comments about it. Now for shoes!  Nude, Silver or maybe icy blue? red?  I also plan on a small bouquet with matching flower for my sweetheart's suit lapel.  fun shopping!
  • Ok, it is done. I bought them both!  White one for the city hall cermony during the day, then may change to the black one for the evening dinner celebration with family/friends.  happy with that!

• White for the ceremony and black for dinner sounds fantastic! Best of both worlds! You look great in both. 

If it's your style, I'd totally go for some colorful shoes. Red or blue would both be really cute. 
  • Thank you!  And coincidently- I am online looking at both red and blue (and teal) shoes on Zappos right now!  I def will do something fun for shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards