Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Tuxedo Rentals

I'm doing research for DF (as I told him to decide weeks ago).  We are trying to decide where to rent tuxedos from.

Any recommendations? Any bad experiences? 
TIA!
Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

Re: Tuxedo Rentals

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are renting through Men's Wearhouse.  So far they've been really nice and helpful-even calling the guys a week before they had to rent to remind them so they wouldn't get overage charges.  We used the one at Ross Park Mall
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We rented at Men's Warehouse as well, specifically the one in Monroeville. For the most part, everything worked out fine. I only have 2 small complaints: First, they wouldn't let BIL or FIL get fitted for their tuxes in Erie (closer to where they live). Originally, they had told me this was fine, so I called them to complain and they let them get fitted in Erie.

Second, I didn't notice it on the wedding day, but the best man's tux pants were waaay too long. I was obviously focused on other things, but it looks silly in pics. Oh well though, he should have done something about it himself. All in all, I think they are a decent place to rent from, but I don't have anything really to compare them to (didn't look into other places).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim-We have one GM that is OOT.  Men's Warehouse was soemthing we thought about as he could get fitted in NJ.  I'll have to confirm that detail with them if we end up using them.

Did either of you need to rent a ring bearer tux?
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we used mens warehouse and had no problems. our boys got fitted at different locations without an issue. in fact, my grandfather got fitted in florida and had his tux delivered to a pgh location for us to pick up. all went smoothly.

i vaguely recall an issue and i had to go in and talk to them. but to be honest..i cant even recall what the issue was. it had something to do with my grandfather's tux order-i think they accidentally stuck a toddler tux on the same order (we had no children in our wedding)-it was something so random that i didnt even worry, i just went in and figured out the problem with them. they were super easy to deal with and had it fixed quickly.

now, on the flip side, we had a HUGE issue with them re: the tux that DH rented for his brother's wedding. but that is a very long story that gets confusing. and in the end i spent 20 minutes yelling at a man on the phone and eventually got all but $20 of our money refunded. the lesson they learned was that they need to follow their own policy regarding the fact that ONLY the bride & groom can make changes to their bridal party tux orders. they learned their lesson and were out $170 as a result!
  • Options
    CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    men's warehouse in SHV mall was fine.  No complaints other than our jr. groomsman jacket was a bit too small in the sleeves...but it was ok for the ceremony and once we hit the reception he took it off!! 
    image Ivory
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jrsy- Yikes! DF was in a wedding a few years ago and everyone had the wrong pants, which was really funny at first as FI had the groom's father's pants on, who is about 5in shorter than him.

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Men's Warehouse also and had people fitted in 5 different places, none of them the store we picked them up at (in Robinson). We had some issues with various pieces not fitting right, but I think that had to do with whoever took the measurements screwing up. DH's jacket was too small, vest way too big, BM's pants were like 4 inches too short, it was nuts. They had to go back the next day and pick up a bunch of new pieces but in the end everyone had a tux that fit.

Vacation

• Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also doing Men's Warehouse.. we went to South Hills Village Mall as well. I was a little disappointed that DF didn't actually try on any tuxes as they did not have them there? We just picked out of a book. I wanted to compare charcoal tuxes with black.. but DF was happy with everything and the prices!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i dont think we had any issues with the boys and their tux sizes. if they did, nobody told me. which was smart, bc i would have gone bananas!

FWIW-when dealing with whatever the random issue was i went to the robinson store over by bravo (not the one by cold stone). they told me that if the boys had any issues with their tuxes not fitting correctly to head to that store in particular bc they have someone on staff at all times to do alterations. i don't know if that was true or not, but i kept it in mind and had DH pass the word around to the boys..just incase.

oh, and after the incident with DH & his tux rental for another wedding i had them mark our account in HUGE CAPITAL LETTERS to not allow changes to the tux orders unless made specifically by the bride or groom. we were concerned a certain someone was going to walk in and try to eff with our tux orders (which was totally plausible).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Tuxedo Junction because all but one of our GM was OOT and they were cheaper than Men's Warehouse.
    Everyone got measured OOT and submitted their orders online (easy-peasy). We ordered from Robinson but picked up in Monroeville. No issues with anyone's tuxes, sizing, orders, etc. Everything was smooth sailing.

I just rented a tux for Eddie at Valotta's Tuxedo in Baldwin. Very nice people, good prices! Not sure if they do OOT measurements or not though.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are also renting through Men's Wearhouse - I didn't really look around much, just picked them because they're a national chain.  We went to one here to pick them out, and they had sample jackets for my FI to try on.  Our groomsmen live all over the country, and they are just going to local stores and getting fitted.  Then all the tuxes will be delivered to the MW at Ross Park Mall.  There are 2 MW's on McKnight Road so I asked if it mattered which one we sent them to, and she said generally the mall stores are better because they deal more with formalwear rentals, so they'll have more in stock if something doesn't fit.

We have a 4-year-old ring bearer and he'll be wearing a tux too.  Unfortunately it's the same price as the men's tuxes ($150), which I think is ridiculous. I told his mom that he could just wear pants and a vest if she didn't want to pay that.

They have a sale going on now (at least they did when we rent) that FI gets either a free tux rental or a free suit, so that's a nice deal.  After the wedding he gets a $400 credit to buy a suit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    218 invited image 137 accepted image 81 declined image 0 haven't said image
    RSVP Date 7/30/2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Julia- $150 for a ring bearer! That is RIDICULOUS!

Nunu- Did Valotta have a decent selection?  DF is friends with the owner's son (if I"m remembering correctly).

Planning Bio

• Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With our ring bearers (who are 3 & 6) we are having them wear black suits. I think it was about $60 cheaper to do this. The unfortunate thing is that a lot of these small tuxes are returned ruined because kids sometimes roll aroun on the floor and get food all over them and that is why it is so expensive I guess.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Men's Wearhouse also. We went to the Waterfront store Saturday. Very helpful, she got everything in the system. All 3 GM are OOT and they said no problem to get fitted elsewhere, then they can pick up here or in hometown. Then we'll return them all to the Waterfront store the day after the wedding. We were very happy with the service and FI commented how "painless that was!"
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also doing Men's Wearhouse.  All of our GM and family members except my youngest brother actually own tuxes, so he is the only one renting a tux from there and the rest of the guys will be wearing their own.  All our GM are, however, renting the same "accessories" pack to give some semblance of continuity.  So they still have to go in and get measured, but they'll only be getting the shirts, cufflinks, ties, suspenders, and pocket squares that we requested.  I was really happy that they were willing to be flexible with me about this, and it's very cheap ($30-40?) to just rent the accessories this way.

Our GM will be fitted all over the country, and then their rentals will be delivered to the MW at Ross Park a few days before the wedding, so we can pick them all up together and deal with any issues at once and locally.

Like Trisha, though, I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to actually see all the shirts and ties in the colors we wanted, just picked them from a catalogue, but this seems to be a very common practice that I just wasn't aware of.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tuxedo Junction (a national chain) gives your groom a free rental and your ring-bearer a free rental with the GM tuxes rented from them. AND, it is cheaper than MW. I really suggest some of you ladies look around before committing your GMs money. I certainly priced out around three stores for this reason. 

Duq-- Valotta's had a great selection! We just did a simple tux since it is for a fundraiser, but they had a number of really nice jackets, vests, etc.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_tuxedo-rentals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:2bb46fef-e8ba-4b2b-a2fd-0866af126de0Post:f58c5252-0cce-4636-89f7-420bc3b566ee">Re: Tuxedo Rentals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tuxedo Junction (a national chain) gives your groom a free rental and your ring-bearer a free rental with the GM tuxes rented from them. AND, it is cheaper than MW. I really suggest some of you ladies look around before committing your GMs money. I certainly priced out around three stores for this reason. 
    Posted by Nunu&Eddie[/QUOTE]

My daughter and son-in-law rented their tuxes from Tuxedo Junction.
    (My son got his tux for Senior Prom in 2207 from there and had a great experience.)

As N stated - The Groom and the Ring Bearer receive free tux rental when a certain number of GMs/Dads/Grandparents rent.  All the Groom had to pay was for the shoe rental.

There were a few little fitting issues - but the tuxes arrived a few days before the wedding and the problems were fixed ( wrong size pants - 1 brown shoe, 1 black) a day before the wedding.
  • Options
    steelerschicksteelerschick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Duq-we rented our tuxes through Valotta.  We were originally going to go with the Mens Warehouse but they didn't have the color that FI wanted for the vests.  Valotta had a huge selection of colors. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used First Class Tuxedo!  We had the best price!  Margie was excellent to work with.  We had no out of town guest but I know they work with wedding parties that do have people from out of town.  First Class is located inside of Big Day.  Our tuxes were half of what Men's Wearhouse charges.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to throw out another local vendor, we used First Class Tuxedo, in Big Day in the Strip.  Sean was amazing to work with - ordered DH two different jackets for sizing, he picked up the tuxes at the hotel the next morning, etc.  

FWIW, all of our GM were OOT (as were we) and we didn't go with a large chain because of the issues that SIL had with her wedding.  Just because you have GM all over the country doesn't mean that you can't use someone locally.  Our GM got measured at any dry cleaners or other tux shop and then just entered their measurements on First Class' website.   MIL actually measured FIL!  Every tux fit just fine! 

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Modern Tux which is located in the same store as MB Bride.  It was considerably cheaper than Men's Wearhouse and offered my FI a discount since he had a certain number of GMs, Fathers, etc.  We haven't had any issues so far but our wedding isn't until July 2nd so I'll keep you posted!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meg-We've had no issues with the guys trying on at MW OOT-everyone is OOT, and they've all gone to their local store.  As for the RB, what we did with him is there was a matching suit that came with the vest for $50 instead of the $150.  It looks almost identical (same maker, same style) and $100 cheaper.  Much better for a little kid to wear, so that's an option!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    missyt180missyt180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kinda OT:

FI is looking into places to get a tux, so it was very timely this thread came up.

I have been super swamped at work, so sent him an email with just the link and a note - "check this out re: tux rentals".

He called me completely flabbergasted - I forgot that if you aren't a Knot regular, the acronyms are insane.  Smile

He said, "I think that KRM is saying that First Class Tux is a good place, but I am not sure - what do FWIW, OOT, SIL, and DH, and GM mean?"

Cracked me up!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::waves Hi Missy::  That is really funny about FI!  Laughing

Planning Bio

• Options
    abbys0420abbys0420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Duq,
    Did I read before that you are looking for gray? I am too (I think that would go best with my girls' navy dresses), and I have had a hard  time finding a place with a large selection of gray. Let me know if you find somewhere good!!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_tuxedo-rentals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:2bb46fef-e8ba-4b2b-a2fd-0866af126de0Post:29edad96-9132-4fe5-ad62-8eb9ce06d852">Re: Tuxedo Rentals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kinda OT: FI is looking into places to get a tux, so it was very timely this thread came up. I have been super swamped at work, so sent him an email with just the link and a note - "check this out re: tux rentals". He called me completely flabbergasted - I forgot that if you aren't a Knot regular, the acronyms are insane.  He said, "I think that KRM is saying that First Class Tux is a good place, but I am not sure - what do FWIW, OOT, SIL, and DH, and GM mean?" Cracked me up!
    Posted by missyt180[/QUOTE]

Haha, this made me LOL ;)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    missyt180missyt180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi duqcheer and LaFemme!  Cool

I guess I can count my blessings that I didn't send him a link about Save The Dates! 

"FI- not time to talk, but I think its really important for you to read this link about STD's".

Back on-topic - our wedding coordinator recommended First Class b/c they deliver tuxes - not sure of their range, but its one less step to worry about!
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    abbys - my BMs are in navy and FI and his GM are wearing grey tuxes.  We got them from Modern Tux (see my above post). HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We originally were going to use MW, but we had the ultimate sticker shock when it came down to prices. They wanted to charge us $210 per rental! They said we could switch out the paisley tie for stripes, but failed to mention it would cost us an additional $20 and like Jen said, they were charging to rent the accessories.

We took the paperwork to Top Hat Tuxedo and they beat the base price by $10 and do not charge for the extras. The only thing we liked about MW was the ability to get our deposit back! :)

I found a suit for the ringbearer at Burlington Coat Factory for $25. Amazingly, it is the exact shade of brown as the tuxes.
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had Paisley ties for my wedding!  I loved them! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards