Favors

So, HE wants favors - I was going to skip them. Go figure.

This came up last night and I was very surprised - I've always found favors to be a waste but he's not budging.  Once he said that, I pitched him an idea I saw online awhile back and he went for it:

Although ours won't be "love songs" it will just be bitchin' tunes we both love (we're both well known to be very into music). 

I wonder what else he's going to obsess about that will surprise me... he told me last night "We have to have colors, duh."  I honestly didn't even care about that.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: So, HE wants favors - I was going to skip them. Go figure.

• My first question is do any of your friends listen to CDs anymore? I got one of these at a wedding, itunes would not let me import it to my iPod.  

Next question.  You think the songs are bitchin' but will your guests?  I love that CD.  My parents were also guests at the wedding, they did not like it at all so it ultimately ended up in the trash.  

How will you hand them out?  One per person? A married couple doesn't need 2 of the same CD.  One per a couple?  But what if they don't live together?  

Just some things to consider and maybe bring your FI around to no favors.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's also not technically legal to make copies of CDs and distribute them...
  • itzMS said:
    It's also not technically legal to make copies of CDs and distribute them...
    I never thought about that until someone else brought it up today.  I'm going to let him know, I don't think he thought of it either.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you must do favors, I'd stick with something edible.  Pretty much every other favor goes unused by me and thrown away.

• mysticl said:
    My first question is do any of your friends listen to CDs anymore? I got one of these at a wedding, itunes would not let me import it to my iPod.  

Next question.  You think the songs are bitchin' but will your guests?  I love that CD.  My parents were also guests at the wedding, they did not like it at all so it ultimately ended up in the trash.  

How will you hand them out?  One per person? A married couple doesn't need 2 of the same CD.  One per a couple?  But what if they don't live together?  

Just some things to consider and maybe bring your FI around to no favors.  

I agree with this sentiment. I don't want to give something that will just be thrown out.
  • It's only illegal if you SELL the music.  If it's a copy of music you already paid for and you're giving it away, then it's not illegal.
  • It's only illegal if you SELL the music.  If it's a copy of music you already paid for and you're giving it away, then it's not illegal.

@mizeryschild Not true. Any distribution is illegal.

http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law
  • Just making a copy without proper authorization is illegal.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hmmm. Two heart shaped cookies in a cellifane (sp) bag with a small bow or ribbon. Maybe a small organza bag or other bag with kisses or other candy inside.
    When I play music for the elderly people in the nursing home I work with, you are supposed to register to play each and every song first. I'm not selling it to them, and it's technically being played in their home... it really sucks.

It was a creative idea. Hope you find something that works better for you.
  • FWIW, we did bookmarks. We're both writers, and big readers (as in our library spans 1000+ books), and it fit with our theme. They ended up being $.84 a piece, I think, and people have RAVED about them to me, saying they appreciated a non-useless wedding favour. Most of our friends are also big readers, though, so there is that.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • My aunt and uncle gave out CDs as favors. My parents still have theirs but have never once listened to it. I didn't even take one.

I do love this idea since FI and I are also huge into music. But not everyone likes the same music we do.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Someone I went to hs with went to the thriftstore last year, and in the cds they actually found one of the cds they gave out as a favor at their own wedding.
    That pretty much sums up how much people like those favors.

I think food is a much better choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards