Not Engaged Yet
Options

I'm sorry, what? Discussion time!

2»

Re: I'm sorry, what? Discussion time!

• Options
    lennonkdc said:
    I saw this a couple of days ago.

That, along with a lot of other things I've observed since moving to the Midwest, have brought out the Republican in me.

No, Sweetheart, no one needs to pay for your kids but YOU and the scumbags who knocked you up.  How do you even have FIFTEEN kids?  FIFTEEN?!?!?!?!?!!?!

Why do MY tax dollars need to go to pay for YOUR kids that you're popping out uncontrollably?  WHY?  GET A JOB AND/OR GET ON BIRTH CONTROL!
    But Republicans wouldn't be cool with her accessing BC because Jesus. Just saying....

And yeah it make me sick that this woman is screaming about somebody needing to pay, but what make me eve more sick is those poor kids. They didn't ask for a lazy ass mom and dead beat felon for a father, look at how their living. What shot do they have at doing any fucking better? None. No actual fucks are give about those kids and they can't even be pulled from the house, and even if they could be the foster care system is a fucking joke. So yeah, the mom pisses me off, but I'm heart sick for those kids.   
    actually, nope.  lots of Republicans use and advocate for birth control, family planning, and personal accountability.  :)
  • Options
    I can't get through more than a minute and a half of this video. GAH. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    lennonkdc said:

That, along with a lot of other things I've observed since moving to the Midwest, have brought out the Republican in me.

No, Sweetheart, no one needs to pay for your kids but YOU and the scumbags who knocked you up.  How do you even have FIFTEEN kids?  FIFTEEN?!?!?!?!?!!?!

Why do MY tax dollars need to go to pay for YOUR kids that you're popping out uncontrollably?  WHY?  GET A JOB AND/OR GET ON BIRTH CONTROL!
    But Republicans wouldn't be cool with her accessing BC because Jesus. Just saying....

And yeah it make me sick that this woman is screaming about somebody needing to pay, but what make me eve more sick is those poor kids. They didn't ask for a lazy ass mom and dead beat felon for a father, look at how their living. What shot do they have at doing any fucking better? None. No actual fucks are give about those kids and they can't even be pulled from the house, and even if they could be the foster care system is a fucking joke. So yeah, the mom pisses me off, but I'm heart sick for those kids.   
    actually, nope.  lots of Republicans use and advocate for birth control, family planning, and personal accountability.  :)
    Actually, I was referring to the general sentiment of Republicans in regard to being fiscally conservative.

I know many Republicans who use and advocate for birth control.
  • Options
    @love2shop4shoes - if you're referring to my comment, it wasn't directed at you.  :)  honestly, I don't really identify myself with either party... I tend to be centrist/Libertarian (less government, but not complete anarchy) but lennon's REPUBLICANS HATE BIRTH CONTROL AND WOMEN! comment just made me cringe a little.

and I think that your sentiment of "pay for your own stuff" might lean a tad bit Libertarian...  what do you think?
  • Options
    @love2shop4shoes - if you're referring to my comment, it wasn't directed at you.  :)  honestly, I don't really identify myself with either party... I tend to be centrist/Libertarian (less government, but not complete anarchy) but lennon's REPUBLICANS HATE BIRTH CONTROL AND WOMEN! comment just made me cringe a little.

and I think that your sentiment of "pay for your own stuff" might lean a tad bit Libertarian...  what do you think?
    @CocoBellaF You are correct, there are many Republican's who do advocate for issues relating to women's reproductive health, including easy access to birth control. I apologize for painting such a diverse group with such a broad brush. With that being said, MANY Republicans who hold elected office do not seem to reflect that attitude, and here in Ohio are making it harder and harder for woman to get access to safe and affordable contraception. And then there was the Rush Limbaugh/ Fox News double punch that erupted after Sandra Fluke testified in front of a Congressional panel.  That is what I was referring too.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I was thinking about this while getting ready for work, yes, the mom has to be held accountable, but why didn't anyone educate her that having sex can produce babies?

My grandmother had my mom at 16 and at the time it was lack of sex-ed. No one told my grandmother when she had sex with my grandfather they would get pregnant.

I was brought up with the "it only takes one time to get pregnant, so don't do it or go on BC." and I made the choice to go on BC.

I think the accountability has to be put not only on the mom, but also the lack of sex education in certain towns, cities, states, etc. We had sex-ed in our school, my friend who moved to TN when we were in 4th grade never had sex-ed classes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @buddysmom80 - do you think that sex ed should begin in the home and with family, instead of at school?

@lennondkc - I gotcha.  :)
  • Options

@cocobellaf a little of both. My personal experience my parents had me later in life, so there was never a new baby in the family for me to start questioning "mom where do babies come from?" I used to be scared to death of pregnant woman probably because I didn't know what was going on. When I was 10 or so we had our annual appt with the pediatrician and she gave my mom and I books about the birds and bees so it kind of forced my mom into the sex talk and she told me to read the books. Regardless in 5th grade we had sex-ed that continued on until sophomore year of high school.

Once my mom found out I was sexually active, she took me to the gyn to discuss BC options. As you can see it was always someone else giving me the sex talk, I don't think it helped that my mom went into menopause the same time I started my period.

But, in the long run, I've been sexually active since 16 and I haven't had a baby yet, so I think it should be both. I remember in HS sex-ed we could ask questions that we would not ask our parents. Our sex-ed teacher was awesome, she didn't judge and honestly answered a lot of questions without being uncomfortable like a parent would be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @cocobellaf, I know you do directed the question at Buddy, but IMO it should be in both at home and in the schools, not one or the other for so many reasons. Even if you are comfortable talking to your kids about sex doesn't mean that you kids will feel comfortable talking to you about it. And kids need repetition, and sexual health is such an important message, that it bears repeating. It should not JUST be left up to the schools, nor should it JUST be left up to parents. Both need to work together to make sure both young woman and young men understand the myriad of issues that stem from our sexuality. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    H and I hope to be proactive about teaching about sex and love in the home at age-appropriate levels, so that they don't have to learn it at school.  my parents never taught me about sex, and we didn't learn too much about it at school, surprisingly.  and to me, there is a difference between learning the biology and mechanics of sex (like at school) and learning how to make smart choices and the emotional side of sex.

my goal is for my kids to learn everything they need to know about sex and love via H and I, and anything that is talked about at school is extra/review...  and that they feel they can come home and ask questions from us!

my mom and I still don't ever talk about sex or anything related to it.  I had to go ask other people what to expect before I got married, and I would like it to be different for my kiddos.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @lennondkc - I just don't know if I am comfortable with schools (and the government) being the ones responsible to educate MY children on sex and sexual health, beyond the biology and hard facts behind it... and sex is SO MUCH MORE than just biology.  that is MY job as a parent, and if I don't do my job then (IMHO) I am failing in that area of being a parent.

it's the Libertarian in me!  I just feel that in the perfect and ideal world, certain things should be learned in the home and merely accented in schools.  but I am aware that this is not the perfect and ideal world, and that most kids won't learn about sex at home and have to do so in schools or through friends.
  • Options
    @CocoBellaF - I think it's great that you are ready and willing to teach your future children all the right things about sex and being safe etc. But, as you alluded to, the unfortunate situation is that this isn't true for a lot of "parents." Especially (and this is from my experience of watching the news in a major city for 6 years) children from lower socioeconomic status who have broken homes and little adult supervision (often times these kid's moms are very young themselves). So I think the schools should teach about safe sex options (not to mention nutrition, other health issues and general life skills) in order to reach these kids who don't have a strong support structure at home (if any at all). 

• Options
    @cschiano - I am totally with you...  I think there needs to be some life skills classes in schools, probably starting around the early junior high years and going through high school.  nutrition, basic hygiene, basic home ec skills, finances and budgeting, basic etiquette, post-high-school job skills...

when my brother graduated high school, he didn't even know how to address an envelope.  SERIOUSLY. 
  • Options
    Also agree it needs to be both at home AND in school. I actually don't remember ever have "the talk" with my mom, but I always knew I could go to her with any questions and she would answer honestly. The sex-ed I had in middle school was very - technical. I do remember that we all had to take turns saying "Penis" and "Vagina" out loud 10 times each so that we would get more comfortable using those words in front of our peers and teachers - it was hilarious. 

When I'm a parent, I think I'll try to find a few different books with great information, and I'll leave them in the bathroom or something for my pre-teen son or daughter to read. Even though my mom wasn't judgemental and I was always really comfortable with her, I NEVER wanted to go to her to ask sex questions - I would be mortified. So, as a teen, I think it would have been nice to have good information readily available.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What Lennon said. And also what CocoBella said. Simultaneously. And additionally what everyone else said.

I gained a lot of perspective from talking to my parents. It helped me to clarify my own values about sex, some of which are the same as theirs, some of which are different. Having health education at school gave me a much "safer" place to learn about things I didn't want to ask my parents whether due to embarrassment or our differences or whatever. I was pretty proactive in doing my own research into protection/contraception when the time came, but for those kids who need some guidance, I think it's important to have as many resources in place for them as possible.
  • Options
    @Hummingbird125 - I like your book idea!
  • Options

I have always maintained an open line of communication with Bean regarding just about everything. I've answered, or tried to answer (finding the answer if I didn't know it off the top of my head), every question he's had about life, science, love, math, etc etc etc. Because of this, I've been fortunate enough that my son knows that I'll answer him as honestly as possible and without judgement no matter what the topic is. And so he comes to me with questions about sex and puberty.

We've had several at length discussions (two-just this week) regarding sex. When he was younger, we talked about sex from the biological standpoint. Now that he's older and starting to see girls in a new light, we have transitioned into the emotional aspect with emphasis on the repercussions. He's also received sex ed in school since (I think) 3rd grade.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    lennonkdc said:

I'm Republican and am an advocate for birth control!!!! I'd rather tax dollars pay for baby prevention than have to pay for the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards