Wedding Reception Forum

Stand up reception? how to do? suggestions?

My ceremony and reception is at a gorgeous mansion with a beautiful garden. The problem is I'm going to be having 90-100 guests , so we are over the limit for a sit down reception. We are having a stand up reception with a buffet/stations , we will still have several big tables with chairs, stand up tables, cafe tables throughout the mansion for are guests to sit and eat or sit and enjoy the entertainment. After the ceremony when we are taking pictures I'm planning on having cocktail hour with hor d'oeuvre's for about an hour and than the buffet/station dinner. How would it work for when the bridal party comes in and the flow of the reception? I've never been to one and googling stand up receptions doesn't bring up anything.

Re: Stand up reception? how to do? suggestions?

• mcybela18 said:

My ceremony and reception is at a gorgeous mansion with a beautiful garden. The problem is I'm going to be having 90-100 guests , so we are over the limit for a sit down reception. We are having a stand up reception with a buffet/stations , we will still have several big tables with chairs, stand up tables, cafe tables throughout the mansion for are guests to sit and eat or sit and enjoy the entertainment. After the ceremony when we are taking pictures I'm planning on having cocktail hour with hor d'oeuvre's for about an hour and than the buffet/station dinner. How would it work for when the bridal party comes in and the flow of the reception? I've never been to one and googling stand up receptions doesn't bring up anything.
    You need to figure out a way to have a chair for everyone.  Who likes to eat standing up the whole time?  Also, many guests will be hovering at their seat and afraid to move once they realize you don't have enough seating for everyone.  Did you honestly expect people to stand for 5 hours?

Yeah. No. Why can't you rent extra chairs, bars tools, etc, and scatter them around the site? I assume you meant you were over capacity for them to serve a plated dinner, but I'm not sure how that limits your seating in general.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Stand up receptions are...awfully chaotic and uncomfortable for guests. There really will not be a flow if it is a stand up reception. Sorry if I come across harshly but I do not know why anyone would purposefully book a venue where people will not be able to sit at a table. If you cannot seat all your guests for dinner then you may need to trim your list or find a bigger venue...
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    Not having places for everyone to sit is going to be hard on your guests' bodies, especially those who can't stand for prolonged periods.  And eating while standing is very uncomfortable.  No one likes to juggle a plate, utensils, napkin, and glass while standing and trying to eat.

You really need to get enough seats for everyone to sit.  It's a hosting basic.  If you can't do that in your current venue, you need to find another venue-even if it means eating any deposit you have made.
  • I am guessing your question was how do you come in from your photo session? I would either have someone announce you or just walk in and start chatting with guests, then move on from there.
  • I never said we didn't have enough tables and chairs for everyone. That's not the issue, the issue is the flow of the reception. We have enough tables and chairs for everyone
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    So it really isn't a stand up reception? A little confused by what you meant when you said 'stand up reception.'

I am assuming that when you say 'throughout the mansion' you mean everything is in different rooms and there is not one single room to accommodate all your guests. If so, there may not really be a 'flow' because everyone will be in different stages doing their own thing in different rooms...
  • I think what you're referring to is a "roaming reception."  Does the mansion have a PA system where guests could hear announcements throughout the property?  If so, you can have your emcee announce when you are ready to come in, and ask all guests to gather in the main room for introductions/welcome greetings.  Then you should let guests go back to roaming the property so they can find seats and not have to stand for too long.
  • edited October 2013
    DH and I did a strolling dinner for our reception. There were no assigned seats and we had several stations with different types of food and passed hors d'oeuvres.

As long as you have enough chairs and seats for people at a table, you're fine. We had 15% more seats than people needed so that if anyone left a space or empty spots at a table, it wasn't a big deal. Make sure you have clear announcements since people will be all over the place. We had a large balcony with tables set up and we had speakers out there so that anyone outside could hear announcements/music.

The sky did not fall. There was no chaos. It was really, really fun and people keep telling us what an awesome time they had (the wedding was 3 months ago). PM me if you need more details or want further suggestions.

ETA: Our "announcement" was when we arrived at cocktail hour. Our WP was already up at cocktail hour (we had 20 minutes of photos with just DH and I and they left for cocktail hour), so we didn't announce the WP - just us, the B&G. From there, we mingled for a little bit and people ate dinner. Then we did cake cutting and first dances to open the dance floor. Then we danced. The end! :)
    *********************************************************************************

• grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    mcybela18 said:
    It won't work.  It's a rude, bad idea.  Get a different venue if your guest list can't be accommodated.

Edited:  Your OP is super confusing.  What southern described above sounds fine but be wary of multiple rooms as it can leave some people feeling left out of the action.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mcybela18 said:
    I never said we didn't have enough tables and chairs for everyone. That's not the issue, the issue is the flow of the reception. We have enough tables and chairs for everyone
    Ah, okay.  So it sounds like you plan for everyone to move around the reception room while eating, dancing, etc.

I think the way I'd do it is to have very clear announcements so that the guests know when you are coming in and what to expect.  I probably would reserve tables for you and the wedding party (and SOs) so you'll have definite places to sit and eat, announce dinner, and then have music play for dancing, etc.
  • Story time: I went to a wedding reception that was at a restaurant. For whatever reason the bride decided to have about 75 seats at tables and a few highboys for 150 people. I assume she thought that people would go through the buffet, sit eat and get up. People made a mad rush for a seat,and then lingered for a long time after they finished eating. I finally got to sit, at a dirty table, at 9:30, once people finally got up. By that point I was exhausted from it being Friday, standing through cocktail hour and a 2 hour gap. We left quickly after we ate. Also the bride was mad because the reception flow was messed up. No one watched the first dance because people were eating. Then half the reception was ready to dance/ party while other were sitting waiting for food. So the dance floor remained mostly empty.

Moral of the story: You need a chair for eveyone and have all of your guests eat at the same time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think there is a bit of a communication gap here.  Sounds like you are having food stations....kinda like a buffet but more spread out....and people will get food then sit down (at the seating provided that fits them all).   Our food is like that, though we do plan on assigned tables...

I think we'll have the "social hour" (dry cocktail hour) while we do some pics etc and then have the staff open the seating area and move people over to the reception room (it is all in one place, the room has three parts that will open as the events progress).  I imagine we'll have everyone get seated, do intros and maybe the 1st dance, then open the food.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards