Not Engaged Yet
Options

How much do you give at a wedding?

2»

Re: How much do you give at a wedding?

• Options
    I may be totally off base when I say this, but I think east coast weddings are typically more on the formal side. I have only ever been to country club or estate weddings. I went to one backyard wedding this past summer, but it was still fancy with a century tent and parquet dance floor. Therefore "justifying" $200+ gifts. I usually give $200. I think it's interesting that other east coasters give the same amount.
  • Options
    My culture has always given money and I prefer to give money over buying off the registry. On average we give $200, more if we really know the couple and less if they are some acquaintance or distant relative.  Give what you can afford, when I was single I would give $75. 
  • Options
    500days said:
    I may be totally off base when I say this, but I think east coast weddings are typically more on the formal side. I have only ever been to country club or estate weddings. I went to one backyard wedding this past summer, but it was still fancy with a century tent and parquet dance floor. Therefore "justifying" $200+ gifts. I usually give $200. I think it's interesting that other east coasters give the same amount.
    I'd love to see some data on this, but I don't trust the sites that purport to have it. Just curious, where do you think west coast weddings are held? ;)

I actually think the weddings probably cost the same (at least in the expensive parts of CA vs the east coast). Possibly there are some cultural differences, as showers aren't that common in my group (only one person had one), and generally cash is given at the wedding, not so much gifts.
  • Options
    leia1979 said:
    500days said:
    I'd love to see some data on this, but I don't trust the sites that purport to have it. Just curious, where do you think west coast weddings are held? ;)

I actually think the weddings probably cost the same (at least in the expensive parts of CA vs the east coast). Possibly there are some cultural differences, as showers aren't that common in my group (only one person had one), and generally cash is given at the wedding, not so much gifts.
    @Leia1979 you know us west coasters get married barefoot in the forest or at the beach you know that.  Hippie granola weddings FTW!  Cause seriously weddings in grand ballrooms or at a napa vineyard and hillside mansion over looking the ocean are sooooo not our style.
  • Options
    motoLyn said:
    leia1979 said:
    500days said:

@Leia1979 you know us west coasters get married barefoot in the forest or at the beach you know that.  Hippie granola weddings FTW!  Cause seriously weddings in grand ballrooms or at a napa vineyard and hillside mansion over looking the ocean are sooooo not our style.
    Yeah I know, I can't totally support it. Just thought of the climate differences, but that doesn't add up to cash gift amounts at all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards