Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tipping Our Engagement Photographer?

Hi,

I am going this weekend to get my engagement pictures done. I hired a photographer just to do the engagement pictures because my wedding photographer is booked until December and is gifting us a Spring engagement session. I hired him because I needed to do our Save the Date picture and also cause I wanted Fall pictures. My question is do I tip him? And if so, what is the usual amount? I have already paid his fee and I also paid a travelling fee so I am just wondering what the correct etiquette is. Thanks!

Re: Tipping Our Engagement Photographer?

• Options
    Sounds like he is an independent photographer? If so, tipping is not necessary.

You may want to send a nice holiday card with a note of thanks after you receive the photos. Writing up nice reviews on Yelp or wedding sites are always appreciated, too.
  • Options
    I tipped our engagement photographer after I received the retouched engagement photos. I think I tipped 15 percent.  Like you, our wedding photographer did not have availability to do the engagement shoot. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    We did not tip becuuse he was the proprietor of his independent photography business. We gave him a great review everywhere we could though!
  • Options
    I would not tip a photographer for a regular portrait session or in this case an engagement session. A wedding is a little different IMHO - it takes all day and is more intense. 
    A portrait session is a fixed price and time. When I used to do senior photos on the side I never received or expected a tip.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    IMO, tipping is never wrong - who doesn't want extra cash for doing something? 

You could also get a small gift for your photographer - I just purchased this for my wedding photographer & her second shooter: 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards