Chit Chat
Options

Smart ladies!

So many of you appear to be and I am sure are, very smart women.   I am curious although I am sure its none of my business, how old are you?  What is your level of education?  What kind of work do you do?     I am 51, MOG.  I graduated from HS in 1980.  Did a year of college.   Quit to get married.  Had 3 children, stayed married for 22 years, got divorced and ive been on my own for several years.  I work as a home health aide.   My son  is 25, will be 26 when he marries next fall.  He is a middle school science and social studies teacher.  His fiance ,25,  whom/who I adore is a middle school science  teacher also. 

Re: Smart ladies!

• Options
    I'm 28. I finished HS in 2003, did a legal secretarial diploma in 2004, did a year of LLB in 2006 and a year of Information Science in 2008. I've worked as a cashier, a receptionist, a switchboard operator, a stock controller, a legal secretary, a course administrator, a video store clerk, a bookkeeper, a data capturer, a writer, an editor, and now a social media manager. I'll also be working as a short-course facilitator in the future.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited November 2013
    I'm 24. Finished HS in 2008. Went to college from 2008-2011 (graduated a semester early) with a degree in Secondary Education- German. I've worked as a cashier at Lowe's until Sept '12 while I was in college. Currently working for a school district as an administrative assistant (I do all the budget, findings, and paperwork for a grant). They don't have German in the location I moved to, which I knew when I moved down here because my FI got a high school social studies job. I have two lovely and hyper Shetland sheepdogs (see pic) that I show competitively in Agility as well :)

ETA: Fun fact: when I toured my college I picked I sat in on a German class (he's the only prof. for German- wanted to make sure I liked him enough for 4 years) and I actually sat behind my FI while observing in a German 1 class. FI was also in my education classes(sat right behind me), but we never really talked minus group work. The first time he flirted with me was actually graduation. We sat next to each other. Christmas '11 I added him to facebook and we went on our first date dec. 30 '11.  I found out him and I know a lot of the same people and went to the same bars.. yet I never ran into him at a bar or anything.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I'm 26. Graduated from high school in 2005, got my BS in chemical engineering in 2010 (took an extra year to do a co-op). I'm now in graduate school going for my Ph.D. in chemical engineering. I also knit on the side.
  • Options
    I'm 33. I'm the director of purchasing for a pastry company. I got married when I was 24 and divorced shortly after. No kids. 
  • Options
    I am 29.  I graduated from HS in 2002 and from college in 2008 (switched majors from Biology to Business with a concentration in marketing so it took a bit longer to finish up).  I have a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing.  I am currently working for a government contractor as a Project Management Analyst and Technical Writer.  I have been considering going back to school to get my Masters but the thought of going back to school after being out for so long just doesn't sound all that fun.

As for some fun facts, I am a home body and have an adorable 2.5 year old yellow lab named Gracie. I love to bake and cook and do all things crafty.

• Options
    I'm also 29, graduated high school in 2002, got a bachelor's degree in English in 2007. I manage communications and marketing for a university. I've tried a couple of graduate programs but not found one I like yet. We got married in August and are currently trying to start a family, but in the meantime, we love our crazy cat. 

Some fun facts: we enjoy cooking and baking. I made my own wedding cake, we bought a smoker with our wedding money, and we just made our first batch of bratwurst from scratch. 
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm 29 (30 in March).  I graduated high school in 2002.  I have my AA in Elementary Education from a local community college.  I transferred to a 4 year school.  I have all my requirements filled for my BA except for the year of student teaching.  Unfortunately, it's not worth quitting my full time job to fulfill the requirement :(

I taught PreK for 6 years.  Right now I'm an executive assistant for a VP.  I'll be here 5 years in February.

Fun Fact:  I have a 10 year old Yorkie named Emma.  I'm the crazy dog lady.  She has numerous outfits and I have a crazy habit of talking to her like she's human.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am 29, graduated from HS in 2002 and college in 2006 with a triple B.A. in economics, political science and German with a minor in ethics from a very good private university. I have a few law classes under my belt as well but decided against getting my JD. I work in government finance and run my own photography business. First marriage and our daughter is 5 1/2 :)
  • Options
    I will be 31 (12/26). I graduated HS 2002 and college December 2006. I have a B.S. in Culinary Arts.
  • Options
    34, I teach junior high and I have 2 Bachelor degrees, an extra year of Uni and I'm looking at starting a Masters this summer.  Waiting to see if the program I want will actually start.  I as working with a Prof and a small group of others to get it off the ground.  I think I'm pretty smart unless I need to do math.  But when I can do math I feel like a superstar!!  ;)

• Options
    CallaLily25CallaLily25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    I'm 24 and will be 26 when I get married. I graduated HS in 2007 and college in 2011 with a BA in English and a minor in German. I currently work as a Marketing Associate for a graduate school. 

ETA: Fun fact: I absolutely hate peanut butter.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013

I am 28. I graduated HS in 2003 and went to an Ivy League college. I double majored in government and public policy. I now work in government affairs (ie, I am a lobbyist.)

Fun fact I wrote my thesis on childhood obesity and public school systems. And I played lacrosse in college

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am 37, graduated college in 1999 (so old!) with a bachelor's in History and I work in banking although my dream is to open a bookstore. Sigh...

ETA: Fun fact: I absolutely hate peanut butter.

That doesn't sound fun; I love peanut butter. It's my breakfast staple every morning although my fun fact is I hate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I hate the taste and consistency of pb and jelly together. I love them individually though.

• Options
    I'm 33 (for a couple more weeks). Graduated undergrad in 2001 with a Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy. Pursued that for a couple of years before changing careers. Graduated in 2005 with a Master of Science in Healthcare Administration. Currently an executive in strategy, business development and innovation for an academic medical center. And though most people's eyes glaze over when they find out what I do (I don't talk about it often), I REALLY enjoy it and am passionate about creating opportunities for QUALITY and ACCESSIBLE healthcare for patients. I'm also an adjunct professor at the University where I received my Masters.

Not to be defined by my work, I'm also a crazy dog lady, avid college football fan and marathon runner (love Zumba, yoga and strength training too)
  • Options
    There are a ton of us in this thread who studied German in college- I always felt like I was the only one! :)
  • Options
    There are a ton of us in this thread who studied German in college- I always felt like I was the only one! :)
    haha I was about to write this!!! So weird to see so many German students. I was one of 10 in my college, but only 2 (including me) going for German education.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I'm 26 (27 later this month) hold a BA in History (2009) and a law degree (2012). I'm currently a gov't attorney for my state. I've just been accepted to an MSPharm online degree that will boost my prospects in my field of law.

I'm a chocoholic, the office baker, and am playing around with an idea for a novel. I've two kitties, one is a thief, the other a con artist. FI just finds them funny, and the con artist is a total daddy's girl with him. 

• Options
    I'm 21, work in a childcare center as a teacher in the 2 year old room, and am currently not in school (long story) but will eventually be going back with the goal of a bachelor in early childhood. Fun facts: I have a pit bull, Liam, that is my baby, and I spin and knit in my spare time. Currently working on a sweater for H and a scarf for our work secret santa.
  • Options
    I have to say I am quite impressed with all of you.  I knew I was right about you being smart/educated women. 
  • Options
    I'm 45, currently an Emergency Medical Responder, and going to school in January for Emergency Medical Technician. I am also a wildlife artist (thus my screen name, short for natswildlifeart). Graduated HS in 1986, took one year of university, then straight into the job market. Worked 5 years at Michaels' Arts and Crafts as the frame shop manager. Fun Fact: met my SO there, he was a customer :)
  • Options
    I am 22 and graduated HS in 2009. I have a certification in veterinary assisting. I currently work in Customer service/compliance for a regional electronic components distributer.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm 24, graduated high school in 2007 and college in 2011 with a BS in biochemistry.  Having a little trouble with the economy and have been working for a craft store chain for over 2 years now where I am currently the person who handles all the money and monitors the cashiers in my store.  Basically, I'm an old person.  I knit (and would love to eventually learn to spin @pittiemama14 ) and my husband makes furniture for fun.  We have two dogs (miniature schnauzer named Chauncey and pit bull/collie mix named Buddy Moose) who are currently staring at me.
  • Options
    @TheFutureMrsRohlman22... I actually enjoy spinning more than knitting, but I have to have something to do with all my handspun! I use a ladybug wheel, and I love it. Do you have any yarn shops or fiber studios you could take a class at? Some places even let you use a wheel so you don't have to commit to buying one before you know you like it. If not, there are some great videos out there to learn how, but you would have to get your hands on a wheel to learn that way, which I would not invest in until you know you like it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    34,  Bachelors degree, Work in pr, communications, video and photography.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I'm 31, I graduated with B.S. in Television in 2004. I'm a producer. I got married June 2012 and I will not be having children. 

Fun fact: I'm obsessed with movie lists (100 Top British Films, Sight & Sound Top 50, Top 100 Movies since 1990, Top 1000, etc). Every time I see a new list, I feel compelled to make a spreadsheet, mark which ones I have seen, and work towards finishing off the list. I have about 10 lists going right now, and I don't think I've finished a single one, because there are always 1 or 2 films that aren't available ANYWHERE. 
  • Options

@TheFutureMrsRohlman22... I actually enjoy spinning more than knitting, but I have to have something to do with all my handspun! I use a ladybug wheel, and I love it. Do you have any yarn shops or fiber studios you could take a class at? Some places even let you use a wheel so you don't have to commit to buying one before you know you like it. If not, there are some great videos out there to learn how, but you would have to get your hands on a wheel to learn that way, which I would not invest in until you know you like it.
    I haven't seen any classes like that where I live now, but it's something I've been tossing around for awhile so I'll definitely keep looking.  I'm a little hesitant to commit as far as getting a wheel first though so if I could find a class that would let me practice first that would be ideal.  I might have to bite the bullet though and just go for it eventually.  H has even said if I get into it and we have enough land we might try sheep raising but that would be a long way off.
  • Options
    I am 22, will be 23 when I get married.  I graduated high school in 2009 and moved to myrtle beach for college.  I just graduated from there in May with a degree in Communications and Minor in Journalism/PR.  I am now in training to take over my families company and have the joy of working with so many different companies out there including wedding companies  :)

FI is 22 and will be 23 when we marry also.  He graduated high school in 2009 and has had a few years of college but has a passion for building so he is working with his uncle to take over her company to build houses :)

A little extra : In the middle of planning this wedding while 4 hours away at the time we thought it would be a WONDERFUL idea to start building a house... which thankfully it has all come together but I do not recommend it to anyone else out there...   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 28. Graduated from HS in 2004, college in 2008. I used to do compliance work and fraud and abuse investigations for a national health insurance company. Now I work in regulatory compliance and internal audit for a national hospital/healthcare system (you may have even been to one of our facilities!). I've been thinking about getting my MBA.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Another 29 year old here/HS Class of 2002.

I got my MBA in 2008. I work in Human Resources, which means by nature I have little tolerance for general stupidity :-)
  • Options
    I'm 29, class of 2002. Had some college with a communications degree. Decided to go be a snowboarding bum after my associates. Ended up back at a university but haven't finish...yet.

I work for a helicopter touring company.

Fun fact: I was homeschooled after freshmen year, so I have been working full time since I was 15.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards