Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Song Request without tipping

Our music for the reception has been gifted to us by one of FI's closest friends who runs his own sound business.  I briefly talked to him about doing song request cards for our guests to use (that I have made) and he is all for it, but wants to make sure that none of the guests feel pressured to drop a tip in the "jar" with the card. (We will be giving him something at the end of the night for all of the amazing things he has done for us) Has anyone been in a similar situations? Any input is welcome :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Song Request without tipping

• Options
    Why can't your guests just verbally request a song?

Alternatively, the DJ can walk around to the tables during dinner and collect the cards if you insist on using them.
  • Options
    I've never heard of song cards.  If people wanted to hear a song at our wedding, they just went up to the DJ and requested it.  

I also think if you put out something like these sounds cards, all you would be playing all night is guest requests.  I generally wouldn't go up and request a song, but if I had a card to write it down, I might throw a few obscure oldies on there just for kicks. 

If you opt for this route, make sure you talk to the DJ so you're on the same page with the number of guest requests and the type of request.  You want a nice balance of song choices that appeals to the masses.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    I've never heard of song cards.  If people wanted to hear a song at our wedding, they just went up to the DJ and requested it.  

I also think if you put out something like these sounds cards, all you would be playing all night is guest requests.  I generally wouldn't go up and request a song, but if I had a card to write it down, I might throw a few obscure oldies on there just for kicks. 

If you opt for this route, make sure you talk to the DJ so you're on the same page with the number of guest requests and the type of request.  You want a nice balance of song choices that appeals to the masses.
    To the bolded: That's exactly why we thought of doing request cards, I personally hate going up to the DJ but I have loved it when the cards are available so I can dance to my "jam" :)  

I'm not concerned about playing guest music all night, we've already worked out all of the other details and he will only be playing a certain percentage of requested songs and the rest will be ours :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What if you used a flat basket instead of a jar?  That might look less like you are supposed to tip.  
  • Options
    What if you used a flat basket instead of a jar?  That might look less like you are supposed to tip.  
    Excellent idea, thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards