Registry and Gift Forum

No more replies please

Re: No more replies please

• There is no "cute" way to ask for money, or for that matter, any kind of gift, including none at all.

You can register for upgrades for things for your house, but you cannot politely use your wedding as a fundraiser.  If you get a gift you don't want (and it's probably a very safe bet you'll get at least one), then you can discreetly dispose of it and use the proceeds as you see fit, provided you graciously thank the giver and don't let them know that you are disposing of it.  But you cannot short-circuit the process by telling them to give you cash.
  • We don't need much either, so all I'm registering for is stuff for my bridal shower for the few things we do need. We are going to Sandals Montego Bay for our honeymoon and decided to register for that. You can check it out online. You can just register for trip contributions or for special things like a couples massage. Basically how the trip contributions work is you pay for your trip then you will get the money deposited to a specified account for the money people paid towards your trip. You can then actually use this money for your trip or for something else. Problem solved. We are going to use it to put a new roof on our house (shh don't tell).
  • My fiancé and I have been going thru the same dilemma. We are both a little older and have lived on our own for quite a while. So combining our stuff after I moved in with him, we found that we have MORE than we need.
    So, in doing some research, I found a genius website called www.honeyfund.com

You can register there. You can aske guests to contribute to your honeymoon, first home, or anything else.
  • honeyfund.com  *also can be used for down payment on a house, etc. Classy and personable way to register for non-traditional gifts.

• We are in a similar predicament. We’ve been living together for almost 4 years and really we don’t need anything + we have no place to store anything new as well. Honestly money toward a downpayment of a house would be awesome, but I find asking for money to be tacky and rude. (I realize in some cultures it’s actually traditional to give money to the bride and groom. If you are old school Italian American I doubt you’ll even need to let people know you want money as that’s a traditional gift. But you might need to walk around with a crisp, new and white pillow case to receive it).

There are a number of other options that might work otherwise, that you can register for. 
    Websites like Honeyfund.com - allow you to register for honeymoon items. (If you are paying for your own honeymoon, you can let others buy you cocktails or dinner out as part of your experience and squirrel away that money instead. Of if your parents are paying, I’m sure you can agree that the money they would have spent go to something for your future.) There are also sites that allow you to register for classes, dinners, gallery openings etc around town. (Once again if these are things you regularly do you can save the money, if not. Find things that would be an awesome experience for the two of you to have.) I think we will do some of the above as I have been informed by family members that they’d rather give us money. However, I am also registering for smaller things I need/want replaced -> like those awesome cast-iron skillets I just can’t get myself to splurge on, or new cutting boards.

Two other suggestions to consider: 1) As someone who is more crafty but has limited funds, I like to give people things like their wedding album, or do the wedding makeup. I have substantial skills in both and it cost me nearly nothing to pump out a product that most of my friends cannot. You should consider how it will make your friends feel if you ask for money. Some might decide they can’t afford to come, esp if your wedding is in another town and they have to pay for travel and accommodations.

2) If you have friends who have talents like baking, or playing an instrument, or have amazing calligraphy skills. You can ask them to help you out on your wedding day in lieu of a gift. Having a friend bake you a cake (even if you pay for the ingredients) costs them nearly nothing and saves you a bundle of money. Same thing with having people play the music at your ceremony. It makes the whole thing more personal and it probably saves both you and your friends a bit of money. (More money to save toward your dream home.) 

I think there are a lot of great, and classy ways to indirectly ask for money without letting people know you are holding open your pocket-book. Have a chat with your fiancé and see what you guys can come up with. I’m sure you’ll find some great ideas. (And you can still alway register for those new cutting boards and steak knives for those people who just can’t help themselves. Seriously, register for something, because otherwise you’ll get stuff you don’t want and probably can’t return. And worst might be stuck with to be polite). 
  • It seems that the idea of a honeyfund is getting a lot of slack from people as being "rude". I too am setting up a honeyfund and I don't see it as being rude at all. We are including a small registry of items as well for those who like to give tangible gifts. I have had numerous friends use this and it is received very well. Also, your guests do not pay any fees, it simply goes to a pay pal account and when you buy something and use pay pal, you do not pay any fees to do so. Of course, you will more than likely have to spend the money ahead of time to book your honeymoon, but that does not mean that the money that is given to you through the honeyfund would not be used for the same in the end. Take pictures on your trip and then create an album and share it with all those that contributed as way of sharing with them the fun you had.
  • edited December 2013
  • PS:  I actually don’t think that honeymoon registries are tacky provided you also give people the option to buy you something tangible. Just make sure to write appropriate thank you cards with pictures of that event for the people to paid for it and aren’t being deceitful. People really don’t want to give you things you won’t want/need. If you already have everything because you have been living together, I think people will get that helping you have a very special honeymoon is an awesome gift. (I come from a very practical family though, where we were giving a couple hundred dollars from an aunt so we could treat ourselves to wedding planning meals out of the home - in order to make the whole process special.) 
  • edited December 2013
  • I think that getting gifts of pots and pans and towels and such is outdated. As you said, you guys have lived together for two years and have gotten along so far with what you have. These days, people who are getting married aren't just leaving their parents' house and therefore need an entire household worth of stuff. Times are changing and wedding gift trends should respond appropriately. 

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I think asking for money can be done in a nice way. How did it become acceptable to, instead of taking heartfelt gifts from people. tell them EXACTLY what they should buy you off of a website? You know what you'll get, you just don't know who will buy it for you. How is a toaster a more heartfelt gift than some money?

Just because it's the way everyone does it currently, doesn't make it better or more right than trying something new. The trend will change, because they way it happens now doesn't fit how people live these days.
    Gross.  Absolutely Gross.  Don't listen to these PP lurkers. 
  • In the end the wedding is a beautiful day celebrating yours and your fiance's commitment to each other. Your guests are there because they love you and want to support you. Each couple is different with varying needs, thus cookie cutter rules do not apply to everyone. You can argue it any way you please:
    ---Creating a registry implies you expect a gift and expecting a gift is... rude.
    ---Going to different stores and scanning gifts to put on a list to share with your guests to buy you...rude.
    ---Making a small registry knowing/hoping your guests will get the point and give you cash anyway... rude.

Ask for what you want because in the end those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind :)
  • We added a little strip of paper inside our paper invites and posted this on our wedding website as well.  I think it lets folks know what we need in case they want to give us a gift.  That way they don't feel pressured to give us anything at all.

"The pleasure of your presence at our wedding weekend in Vegas is all that we ask.  However, if you wish to give a gift, gift cards to Home Depot and IKEA would be helpful to assist with our kitchen upgrades.  Thank you!"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• We don't need much either, so all I'm registering for is stuff for my bridal shower for the few things we do need. We are going to Sandals Montego Bay for our honeymoon and decided to register for that. You can check it out online. You can just register for trip contributions or for special things like a couples massage. Basically how the trip contributions work is you pay for your trip then you will get the money deposited to a specified account for the money people paid towards your trip. You can then actually use this money for your trip or for something else. Problem solved. We are going to use it to put a new roof on our house (shh don't tell).
    Seriously you are going to deceive your guests like this!?!? That is pretty disgusting.
  • Wow. This thread went to tacky train wreck hell for no reason all of a sudden.

Anniversary
  • Good grief.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I dont' think it is rude or anything. I would simply put 
    "A and B have been living on their own for 7 years and already have acquired many normal house wears. We are, however, in the process of saving funds to purchase a house, and any donations would be appreciated. If you feel better giving a personal gift though we are registered at XYZ"

I would just have a few small things listed for the registry. I don't know why everyone thinks it is soooo rude to ask for a little bit of cash, especially when you have everything you need. People on here can be rude and snoody, so take what they say with a grain of salt. :)
    I hope you get things worked out for your wedding day. I'm sure no one will be offended, and most may feel more comfortable giving a bit of cash instead of being forced into getting something they wouldn't want to give you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards