Snarky Brides

Personal Opinions Requested

13»

Re: Personal Opinions Requested

• The wonderful knottie world has introduced me to so much!

This is not even a consideration in my group of friends. Either you are invited - or you are not. There is never any of this come to part a and not b or vice versa.
  • In my FI's circle of friends, the ceremony is only fo family. I was shicked at this when I went to a wedding with him when we first started dating and realized that the whole group of friends was skipping the ceremony until the reception. It was understood that unless you were in the bridal party, you didn't go to the ceremony. But I think that's the dudes' opinion, whereas as a girl I'm all into seeing the ceremony 

That being said, choosing to skip the ceremony and not being invited to the ceremony are two different things. Find a way to seat them if there aren't enough seats.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The wonderful knottie world has introduced me to so much!

This is not even a consideration in my group of friends. Either you are invited - or you are not. There is never any of this come to part a and not b or vice versa.
    Same here.
  • I am a pretty laid back, understanding person so I wouldn't mind being invited to the reception. Getting to be a part of the celebration would be what's important to me.  Clearly it's only a matter of seating space and nothing personal. 
  • That being said, you need to know the population you are inviting.  If you know they would be offended then you need to take that into consideration.  Some people are a lot more sensitive than others which can cause conflict. 
  • I would choose B. First off because I would feel a little hurt you didn't want me to see the ceremony. Second because, unless it is someone I am really close to, I tend to skip receptions. Also I noticed the OP said if it was a friend or cousin. I don't know how other families are but my family, cousins, second cousins, great aunts and all are really close, so I can't imagine cutting relatives from the guest list. I get it, sometimes you don't have room to invite all your friends but you sure as hell should have room to invite all your family.
  • edited December 2013
    I'm kinda surprised how many brides are saying B. If there is anything the guest list has taught me is that it's actually only a little bit about importance. It's about reality: I can only afford or fit this many people and this many MORE people are important. In reality if you asked me this question, by asking I'd know I was important to you. The ceremony space is generally smaller, more intimate, but a lot more about etiquette. I don't like ANY of my extended family, but because I want to honor my parents and maintain proper wedding etiquette they come first on the list despite wanting friends from school or work there. I'd choose A and still get you a gift! 

And FYI: the reception comes with entertainment, food, and toasts. If you know some guests weren't able to attend, you can stand up and recite your vows as your toast to your spouse.
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Keep in mind that everything costs money and if you're dealing with a budget bride, the ceremony space may be all they could afford.
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm fine with just being invited the reception.  This happened this past summer, and we weren't as close to the couple as others were.  If it were a very close friend, I'd feel differently, but as someone who seldom sees the couple, my fiance and I were fine with it. 

There were other people there who complained and were offended, so it goes to show not all people would be okay with this situation.  For me, I am happy that someone thought to invite me to any part of the celebration at all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards