Wedding Reception Forum

Critique my menu!

We're in the first round of planning our menu with our caterer. Here's what we've come up with. Would you be satisfied?? We really can't afford to do additions, but we can definitely still change things out for others! Let me know your thoughts.

Mocktail Hour:
- Iced Tea, Iced Water, Lemonade, Assorted sodas
- Italian Soda station
- Fondue station with cheese fondue and chocolate fondue and assorted crackers, veggies, meats and fruits
- BBQ Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Vegetable dumplings with dipping sauce
- Crisp pork belly skewer

Plated Dinner (served with dinner rolls and butter)
- Market salad with two dressing options (a vinaigrette and a creamy)
Choice of:
- Pan Seared Chicken with Lemon Caper-Berry Beurre Blanc, Pommes RIssole, Over Roasted Asparagus
- Filet Mignon Merlot Bordelaise, Caramelized shallot, parmesan potato gratin, haricot verte
- Vegetarian option - we're still waiting to hear our options for this, any thoughts?

Dessert
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brule
- White and Chocolate wedding cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
- Hot Coffee, Hot Tea, Hot Chocolate

Re: Critique my menu!

• This sounds amazing and I'm hungry now. Thanks. :) 

I think you have a great mix of veggie/meat options for your mocktail hour. Love the Italian soda decision (I remember when this was discussed a while ago)! For your entree veggie option, I like stuffed peppers, veggie lasagna, caprese pasta, or primavera pasta. 
    *********************************************************************************

I think you have a great mix of veggie/meat options for your mocktail hour. Love the Italian soda decision (I remember when this was discussed a while ago)! For your entree veggie option, I like stuffed peppers, veggie lasagna, caprese pasta, or primavera pasta. 
    I love your menu too.  I agree that pasta and vegetables would be good as your vegetarian option.

Yeah our caterer loved the idea of an Italian Soda station and agreed to do it for a really reasonable price. I was nervous he'd charge us a big bartender fee. But he didn't. Unfortunately there isn't room in the reception space to have the soda station set up during dinner. This is ok right. I don't want to do a mocktail version of the "open bar during cocktails and then take it away" faux paus. 
  • You had me at BBQ bacon shrimp and filet mignon! That's all I need to be happy :) 
  • It sounds great.
  • Its great! Yum

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
    Sounds good to me! My only comment would be maybe changing one of the appetizers so you don't have 2 pork ones. Some people don't eat pork, but will eat other meat, so maybe a beef or chicken skewer (like chicken satay or beef teriyaki?)

• We're in the first round of planning our menu with our caterer. Here's what we've come up with. Would you be satisfied?? We really can't afford to do additions, but we can definitely still change things out for others! Let me know your thoughts.

Mocktail Hour:
    - Iced Tea, Iced Water, Lemonade, Assorted sodas
    - Italian Soda station
    - Fondue station with cheese fondue and chocolate fondue and assorted crackers, veggies, meats and fruits
    - BBQ Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
    - Vegetable dumplings with dipping sauce
    - Crisp pork belly skewer

Plated Dinner (served with dinner rolls and butter)
    - Market salad with two dressing options (a vinaigrette and a creamy)
    Choice of:
    - Pan Seared Chicken with Lemon Caper-Berry Beurre Blanc, Pommes RIssole, Over Roasted Asparagus
    - Filet Mignon Merlot Bordelaise, Caramelized shallot, parmesan potato gratin, haricot verte
    - Vegetarian option - we're still waiting to hear our options for this, any thoughts?

Dessert
    - Vanilla Bean Creme Brule
    - White and Chocolate wedding cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
    - Hot Coffee, Hot Tea, Hot Chocolate
    Sounds delicious!  The only thing I would get rid of is the fondue....I'd keep the crackers, veggies, meats and add in cheese.  While I love fondue, it can get messy and create a backlog of people at the station.  I also feel chocolate fondue is more appropriate after dinner, not before. 
  • laurynm84 said:
    Sounds good to me! My only comment would be maybe changing one of the appetizers so you don't have 2 pork ones. Some people don't eat pork, but will eat other meat, so maybe a beef or chicken skewer (like chicken satay or beef teriyaki?)
    Hmmmm I picked pork because we're having chicken and beef at dinner, but that makes sense about the two pork options. The bacon wrapped shrimp has to stay, FI is obsessed haha. Maybe another veggie one instead of the skewer ... or maybe people wouldn't even think about having a chicken app and a chicken dinner?

@JoanE2012 Really? Oh that would actually be a relief. Stupid station is $17pp - just for the one station. I just added it because I wanted something interactive since the rest are passed apps. But if you think it's not needed, score. Money in the bank. Maybe I'll just make the third app a fruit skewer instead of the pork. That gives people fruit and not two pork options, and saves me monaaaayyy.
  • My advice for the veggie option would be to make it double as a vegan option in case you have any attendees that follow that diet. So keep cheese, cream, eggs, etc out of it and it'll do double duty. Grilled/roasted veggies with a tomato-based sauce and quinoa (for protein) is a good option.
  • @thelastdreamer - If you ditched the fondue, kept the crackers, cheese, veggies as a stationary table, how much would you save?  How much would it cost to add another passed app?

I've never seen fondue at a cocktail hour.  Being it's only an hour, having the stationary plate plus the passed apps seems plenty.  People will be socializing and milling about.....I wouldn't worry about an interactive station.

• If you want ditch the fondue, but still want something a little more fun than normal cheese and crackers you could look at doing something like this. 

• @afox007 - cute idea, but who would cut the cheese?

PFFF!!! sorry, I had to. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• I have to agree on the fondue station. I would avoid it because it's just kind of messy, even if you're careful. I would swap it out for another passed app, or another stationary app. I love pork, but I do know people who don't eat it, so that is a consideration for those apps. Maybe another vegetarian app, like bruschetta? Everything else sounds yummy.
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Double post
  • I like the idea of switching out the pork for a bruschetta or something else that's light with some crunch.  The appetizers lean towards concentrated items so something with a little freshness would be a good counterpoint. Stuffed grape tomatoes. or cucumber with salmon mousse.  That sort of thing.  A little color and crunch.  I was at a wedding where there were celery and carrot sticks in small glasses with dip on the bottom of the glass.  Very cute.

It sounds like a lovely innovative menu with the soda station!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards