Wedding Invitations & Paper

Do I need to say "reception to follow"?

I am having my ceremony and reception at the same place, so I am not including a separate reception card in my invitation suite.  At the bottom of my invitation I was going to put "cocktails, dinner and dancing to follow," but now I am afraid the invite is starting to look a little wordy.  If I leave it off will guests just understand?  I am including a separate insert with our wedding website which lists out the timeline and location for cocktail hour and dinner.  Thoughts?

Re: Do I need to say "reception to follow"?

• I think you can just say "Reception to follow".
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    We had our wedding in one venue as well. At the bottom of the invite we put "reception to follow."

• I'd just use "reception to follow."
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    "Reception to follow"

It is a faux pas to describe the kind of food and entertainment that will be provided.  "Cocktails, dinner and dancing" is incorrect.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    CMGragain said:
    "Reception to follow"

It is a faux pas to describe the kind of food and entertainment that will be provided.  "Cocktails, dinner and dancing" is incorrect.

• CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    CMGragain said:
    "Reception to follow"

ETA: We changed it to "Reception to follow."
  • @cmgragain , what about cake-and-coffee receptions? esp if this is not the norm and there are no enclosures (except maybe an rsvp card)?
    edited December 2013
    "The norm" is determined by the time of day.  If the reception is at a mealtime, then a meal should be provided.  If the reception is in the mid-afternoon, then cake and coffee is expected and appropriate. Often the time of the ceremony and reception is determined by the budget.  A wedding reception is NOT the time to surprise guests with an unusual food experience!
    Remember, the reception is for your guests, not for the bride and groom.  If your wedding reception is so unusual that "reception to follow" won't prepare your guests for it, then you need to re-examine your plans and see if they are really appropriate.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
     If the reception is in the mid-afternoon, then cake and coffee is expected and appropriate.

If your wedding reception is so unusual that "reception to follow" won't prepare your guests for it, then you need to re-examine your plans and see if they are really appropriate.
    Sorry, I meant cake and coffee vs the all-nighter booze fest (even at 430pm). So a cake and coffee at 130 or 2, following a short ceremony.

A sizeable portion of the invite list are, shall we say, entitled and extravagant. The kind of people who have 100 guests at a first birthday party.

The idea of a simple ceremony focused on the commitment/sacrament being made and a low-key reception would never occur to them. (And yes, they're mainly on the list because it's just easier that way. An extra quarter sheet cake and 2-liter of coke costs less than the ensuing feud.)
  • "Reception to follow" is still correct.
    It is up to you to send a proper invitation to your very proper wedding.  (Good for you!  Cake and punch in the afternoon is very traditional.)  It is up to your guests to graciously accept whatever refreshments are provided.  It would be very rude of them to complain.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you!!  :)

• We just put "Reception to Immediately Follow On-Site"
    Hopefully that's still okay? We didn't want people to worry about having to drive elsewhere afterwards, and I feel like the word Immediately lets people know that they are not going to be sitting around for an hour with nothing to do waiting for the reception to start.
    edited December 2013
    "Reception to follow" means that the reception will be at the same place as the ceremony, with no gap other than photography.  If the reception will be at a different location, you need a separate reception card.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    "Reception to follow" means that the reception will be at the same place as the ceremony, with no gap other than photography.  If the reception will be at a different location, you need a separate reception card.
    Augh shoot. I knew I should've checked here first. We already ordered them, so I guess that's a goof up then. We were wondering about the reception cards, and why the invites that had those did not have a spot to put that the reception followed. Duh! That makes so much more sense now.
  • It will be fine.  I only came back on the Knot last week after a long absence.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards