Options

Aspiring Brides from Pinterest

2»

Re: Aspiring Brides from Pinterest

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    HisGirlFriday13 said: I think my biggest objection to wedding boards pre - engagement is that they seem like the bride is doing all the planning -- leaving out entirely the groom, you know, the guy who asked her to marry him. I also think all the cutesy stuff is over - kill and leads to disappointment. I have friends who are in the group of 'he needs to follow these six rules' and 'I want an epic proposal.' If women are going to expect men to buy into ridiculous over - the - top fantasies like that, what equally ridiculous fantasies/ideas of men should women buy into?

While I see the objection to the bride leaving the groom out of planning, since when does pinning something set it in stone? Pinterest is a way of organizing ideas and things you like. If I actually
    did everything I pinned, I'd cook nothing but Paleo foods, have a canopy over our bed, and have a peacock color theme for my wedding. 

But I don't do everything I pin, so I eat too many carbs, have a canopy-less bed, and am using plum and goldenrod as my wedding colors. 

Pinterest serves as an idea and inspiration inspiration source. I have three or four wedding boards with ideas I share with my fiance. To me, it's no different than browsing wedding magazines or checking out wedding stuff online. 

ETA: Stuck in the quote box and grammar.
  • Options
    I have friends who had secret boards, even a friend who booked her venue before her then-boyfriend proposed!!! I've been with my now-fiancé for over five years and never did any wedding pinning/planning until the hours after he proposed and I realized we got to plan a wedding!! Like others have said, it's odd when women basically have their wedding pinned and planned and oh "by the way honey the wedding is planned thanks for putting a ring on it!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GrrArgh said:
    total side note: does anyone elses FI use pintrest? Mine does, it's always amusing to scroll through my main page I can see when he was awake (he works over nights) It will be cookies, pies, DIY arts and crafts, cute clothes, hair styles from my girlfriends and then all of a sudden... Guns, Trucks, DIY powertool requiring home improvement ideas, comic books, more guns, some hot chicks holding guns...
    No, he thinks Pinterest is dumb. 
  • Options
    I absolutely love Pinterest. I have basically planned our wedding through that site.  My fiance doesn't really care about all the "wedding stuff" so "leaving him out" isn't really an issue.. 
  • Options
    GrrArgh said:
    total side note: does anyone elses FI use pintrest? Mine does, it's always amusing to scroll through my main page I can see when he was awake (he works over nights) It will be cookies, pies, DIY arts and crafts, cute clothes, hair styles from my girlfriends and then all of a sudden... Guns, Trucks, DIY powertool requiring home improvement ideas, comic books, more guns, some hot chicks holding guns...
    He's been wanting to get a Pinterest account for awhile, I may bring it up again tonight! I think he's embarrassed, although he's impressed with some of the awesome things I have stumbled upon through there.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I think the worst ones on Pinterest are the "Only 10 rules for proposing" pins.  ONLY?! ONLY 10 rules???
    I never even thought about planning a wedding until after we got engaged, and I was like...Oh!  We're having a wedding!  We need to plan!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think my biggest objection to wedding boards pre - engagement is that they seem like the bride is doing all the planning -- leaving out entirely the groom, you know, the guy who asked her to marry him.
    THIS! Anyone remember the story about the lady who had the entire wedding in a binder before her guy proposed? Just can't imagine how the groom would feel, "oh hey I planned my perfect day, so glad you came along to stand in at the ceremony! Your opinion doesn't matter it's all about MEEEE!!!!" I do have a few friends who started Pinterest wedding boards before they were engaged, but they knew they would be engaged soon. I didn't, felt weird planning a day when it wasn't for sure yet.
    I always think of that one episode of Friends where Monica and Rachel are talking about Monica's wedding and Monica has like three different weddings planned - all at different price points.

The other thing I think of is the comedian I heard once who said "Trust me fellas, if she could get married without you even being there, trust me, she would!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards