Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette vent

Re: Etiquette vent

• STBMrsEverhart said.........No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not only can I think for myself, I can fend for myself as well. Ours is not a relationship based on need, only want. I was not raised to rely on anyone other than myself, so I'm never in a position of weakness in a relationship. We're equals, through and through. If I occassionally need to be reeled in it's because I'm spun out overthinking things generally brought about by some inherently female need to please, overcompensate, follow some ridiculous guideline to make sure everyone's feelings are just so or meet some artificially high expectation. 

Just weak as a person.
  • So back to OP...

My FI's friends married in less than a month after finding out the girl friend was pregnant. Wore a white dress, ceremony, and reception somewhere small with close friends and family. It all happened so fast that my FI couldn't take time off of work for it. 

The couple said that they would have a "formal" wedding when the child is older in a couple years. This is FI's good friend, so we will probably be going...
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Kelcita21 said:
    So back to OP...

My FI's friends married in less than a month after finding out the girl friend was pregnant. Wore a white dress, ceremony, and reception somewhere small with close friends and family. It all happened so fast that my FI couldn't take time off of work for it. 

The couple said that they would have a "formal" wedding when the child is older in a couple years. This is FI's good friend, so we will probably be going...
    If your FI wants to attend, let him attend on his own.  You don't have to.
  • I am finding someones' reasoning for now being pushed into doing public records checks on people to see if they are actually invited to a WEDDING, or in your case a fake ass mess a necessity nowadays because of people like you @STBMrsEverhart who do not care about anyone but yourself, and think lying to people is okay, and having people you "care" about spend a ton of money for nothing. 

Shame on you 1000%.  I hope someone finds out about your sham, calls you out on it before you doup people into spending possibly thousands for a dress up play.

That's seriously some of the stupidest shit I have ever read, even by TK standards. If you have the time or inclination to go all Nancy Drew every time you get invited to someone's wedding, knock yourself silly. 

If some one we know decides to do the same and throws a fit, all I can say is good luck to them on "calling us out" because there's no one or nothing more important to me than my FI's health and well being. Everything we have done or will do where our wedding is concerned has been shaped by that tenet. Anyone staging a refusal to attend can stay home. Or, they can come and have a great time. Choice is theirs. All our choices have been already made, regret free. But I think I'd rather the former because I'm not so sure I want to associate with people weird enough to snoop through public records before filling out a RSVP card.
  • mobkaz said:
    STBMrsEverhart said.........No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not only can I think for myself, I can fend for myself as well. Ours is not a relationship based on need, only want. I was not raised to rely on anyone other than myself, so I'm never in a position of weakness in a relationship. We're equals, through and through. If I occassionally need to be reeled in it's because I'm spun out overthinking things generally brought about by some inherently female need to please, overcompensate, follow some ridiculous guideline to make sure everyone's feelings are just so or meet some artificially high expectation. 

Just weak as a person.
    Another bold pronouncement based on nothing at all. It's a shame for you you seem to think people can't have it all. I see no point in cake if you can't eat it. One day on my deathbed I have a hard time imagining I'll be thinking, geez, I sure wish I had followed etiquette a little better. No, I imagine I'll be looking back on my life thinking how thankful I am that we did everything we could to ensure the love of my life was healthy and we had an amazing wedding in a tropical paradise, and that we never compromised one over the other. You think that makes my character weak, bummer for you.

• I am finding someones' reasoning for now being pushed into doing public records checks on people to see if they are actually invited to a WEDDING, or in your case a fake ass mess a necessity nowadays because of people like you @STBMrsEverhart who do not care about anyone but yourself, and think lying to people is okay, and having people you "care" about spend a ton of money for nothing. 

Shame on you 1000%.  I hope someone finds out about your sham, calls you out on it before you doup people into spending possibly thousands for a dress up play.

That's seriously some of the stupidest shit I have ever read, even by TK standards. If you have the time or inclination to go all Nancy Drew every time you get invited to someone's wedding, knock yourself silly. 

If some one we know decides to do the same and throws a fit, all I can say is good luck to them on "calling us out" because there's no one or nothing more important to me than my FI's health and well being. Everything we have done or will do where our wedding is concerned has been shaped by that tenet. Anyone staging a refusal to attend can stay home. Or, they can come and have a great time. Choice is theirs. All our choices have been already made, regret free. But I think I'd rather the former because I'm not so sure I want to associate with people weird enough to snoop through public records before filling out a RSVP card.

ALL your choices have to do with your FI's health? Please explain how a do over puts his health and not the dog and pony show as a priority.
  • banana468 said:

I am finding someones' reasoning for now being pushed into doing public records checks on people to see if they are actually invited to a WEDDING, or in your case a fake ass mess a necessity nowadays because of people like you @STBMrsEverhart who do not care about anyone but yourself, and think lying to people is okay, and having people you "care" about spend a ton of money for nothing. 

ALL your choices have to do with your FI's health? Please explain how a do over puts his health and not the dog and pony show as a priority.
    I think I've explained it repeatedly on past threads. But as a quick answer to your question: We decided to get married on paper prior to our wedding so we could add him to my health insurance, after he started having health issues. We knew we would marry here (in the US) legally first anyway bc Mexico is a giant PITA. So the decision wasn't hard at all. We'll never treat anything other than our wedding day in Mexico as our wedding (then anniversary, so on and so forth). His health was our first priority. We simultaneously decided we weren't interested in an either/or, simply not necessary. We were still going to have our wedding AND he would be healthy. If there's anyone who is not okay with that plan, should they decide to go all Nancy Drew, that's their issue, not mine. Easy peasy. 
  • banana468 said:

I am finding someones' reasoning for now being pushed into doing public records checks on people to see if they are actually invited to a WEDDING, or in your case a fake ass mess a necessity nowadays because of people like you @STBMrsEverhart who do not care about anyone but yourself, and think lying to people is okay, and having people you "care" about spend a ton of money for nothing. 

I think I've explained it repeatedly on past threads. But as a quick answer to your question: We decided to get married on paper prior to our wedding so we could add him to my health insurance, after he started having health issues. We knew we would marry here (in the US) legally first anyway bc Mexico is a giant PITA. So the decision wasn't hard at all. We'll never treat anything other than our wedding day in Mexico as our wedding (then anniversary, so on and so forth). His health was our first priority. We simultaneously decided we weren't interested in an either/or, simply not necessary. We were still going to have our wedding AND he would be healthy. If there's anyone who is not okay with that plan, should they decide to go all Nancy Drew, that's their issue, not mine. Easy peasy. 

You obviously KNOW people would have a huge problem with you lying to them or you would tell each and every person that is looking to spend thousands on attending your play THE DAMN TRUTH!!!

And YOU are the reason I have lost faith in people and if I think there is a chance a couple is already married I will do a records check, because you are slime and very self centered that you think it is fucking OK to LIE TO PEOPLE!!!

• No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not only can I think for myself, I can fend for myself as well. Ours is not a relationship based on need, only want. I was not raised to rely on anyone other than myself, so I'm never in a position of weakness in a relationship. We're equals, through and through. If I occassionally need to be reeled in it's because I'm spun out overthinking things generally brought about by some inherently female need to please, overcompensate, follow some ridiculous guideline to make sure everyone's feelings are just so or meet some artificially high expectation. 

As it happens, I prefer to emulate and relate more to the way men think than women 80% of the time. Men solve problems. Women seem to create them. Men avoid drama. Women, well, I'm sure you can see the pattern. I prefer facts, not beating around the bush, brass tacks, that sort of thing. As far as etiquette is concerned, I'm not concerned with its origins, but doubtful a group of men decided they'd set some ground rules after some guy forgot to send another a thank you note so many years ago. 

I'm far from helpless. The opportunities for other women to be the same are endless. I'm sure my blatant disregard for etiquette I have no use for is not holding women back from reaching their full potential. 
    What a load of horseshit.

• Viczaesar said:

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not only can I think for myself, I can fend for myself as well. Ours is not a relationship based on need, only want. I was not raised to rely on anyone other than myself, so I'm never in a position of weakness in a relationship. We're equals, through and through. If I occassionally need to be reeled in it's because I'm spun out overthinking things generally brought about by some inherently female need to please, overcompensate, follow some ridiculous guideline to make sure everyone's feelings are just so or meet some artificially high expectation. 

As it happens, I prefer to emulate and relate more to the way men think than women 80% of the time. Men solve problems. Women seem to create them. Men avoid drama. Women, well, I'm sure you can see the pattern. I prefer facts, not beating around the bush, brass tacks, that sort of thing.
    What a load of horseshit.
    The only pattern I see is that of socially dysfunctional people behaving dysfunctionally, regardless of gender.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• banana468 said:

You obviously KNOW people would have a huge problem with you lying to them or you would tell each and every person that is looking to spend thousands on attending your play THE DAMN TRUTH!!!

And YOU are the reason I have lost faith in people and if I think there is a chance a couple is already married I will do a records check, because you are slime and very self centered that you think it is fucking OK to LIE TO PEOPLE!!!

Bwahahaha! Um, no. You can attribute your crazy to whatever you want, but I'm not owning ANY of it. Do what you gotta, but own that shit. 
  • NYCBruin said:

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Not only can I think for myself, I can fend for myself as well. Ours is not a relationship based on need, only want. I was not raised to rely on anyone other than myself, so I'm never in a position of weakness in a relationship. We're equals, through and through. If I occassionally need to be reeled in it's because I'm spun out overthinking things generally brought about by some inherently female need to please, overcompensate, follow some ridiculous guideline to make sure everyone's feelings are just so or meet some artificially high expectation. 

As it happens, I prefer to emulate and relate more to the way men think than women 80% of the time. Men solve problems. Women seem to create them. Men avoid drama. Women, well, I'm sure you can see the pattern. I prefer facts, not beating around the bush, brass tacks, that sort of thing. As far as etiquette is concerned, I'm not concerned with its origins, but doubtful a group of men decided they'd set some ground rules after some guy forgot to send another a thank you note so many years ago. 

I'm far from helpless. The opportunities for other women to be the same are endless. I'm sure my blatant disregard for etiquette I have no use for is not holding women back from reaching their full potential. 
    Holy fuck, you are annoying.  Why are you so anti-women?  

You do realize also that although you claim to be more like a guy and don't like drama like most women, you have spent an insane amount of time on here for the sole purpose of stirring up drama.

Pretend to be "one of the guys" all you want.  I can't know the reason why you don't have a lot of female friends but I'm sure it has nothing to do with you actually being more like a guy.  It may have something to do with your open dislike (jealousy maybe?) of other women or the fact that it sounds like you like to put other women down to make yourself more attractive to men.
    This.  If you really hate the knot so much why the hell are you here?  You've made it extremely obvious you hate all advice given on here, and you've made it obvious you won't listen to anyone, so if you really wanted to avoid drama, you wouldn't bother commenting, or even looking at these message boards.  And don't give me that stupid "Someone has to tell these people off" argument,  you're not teaching anyone a lesson and you're not doing anything worthwhile, you're just arguing.
    Someone who is really "One of the guys" wouldn't be on the knot picking fights.  
    If you were really so above this drama and really didn't care what any of us had to say, you'd delete your account and go find something else to do.  
  • mobkaz said:
    Lamiavita said:
    Forgive me on being totally lost on the Mexico thing... I ask out of genuine curiosity. Why do you need to go to Mexico at all? If you're already married, why not you and your H take your honeymoon in Mexico? I don't understand why you want to get married in Mexico if you're already married?

See? Didn't take @Lamiavita long to get it. And most people are smart like that. It's not that hard...
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Effing DP.

• As it happens, I prefer to emulate and relate more to the way men think than women 80% of the time. Men solve problems. Women seem to create them. Men avoid drama. Women, well, I'm sure you can see the pattern. I prefer facts, not beating around the bush, brass tacks, that sort of thing. As far as etiquette is concerned, I'm not concerned with its origins, but doubtful a group of men decided they'd set some ground rules after some guy forgot to send another a thank you note so many years ago. 

Its seriously shocking to me to see a woman be so sexist. My mouth dropped open reading that line- its much more upsetting to me than the PPD that you have internalized a message of female inferiority and that all women think alike, and all men think alike. And actually feel free to look up its origins, because etiquette is a male invention (based on the power structures of history). On of the first books on manners was "good manners for boys" and etiquette has its origins from the ancient philosophers.

• mobkaz said:

Lamiavita said:

Forgive me on being totally lost on the Mexico thing... I ask out of genuine curiosity.

Why do you need to go to Mexico at all? If you're already married, why not you and your H take your honeymoon in Mexico?

I don't understand why you want to get married in Mexico if you're already married?

See? Didn't take @Lamiavita long to get it. And most people are smart like that. It's not that hard...

I genuinely don't understand...

How do you get married when you're married?

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    CLI242009 said:
    I don't see anything wrong with it as long as I knew. I would still attend. That's just me though.
    I agree. I don't mind as long as no one has lied about anything and are open with the fact that they got married before the party. I personally see the reception portion of the wedding as a "celebration" of the union.

Also, holy shit @ the sexism. I will never understand when women are sexist.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• STBMrsEverhartSTBMrsEverhart, I can understand the reasoning behind your PPD, but what I can't get behind is your lying to everyone about it, especially if it could effect whether they'd still want to shell out the money to come or not. That's down right deceitful.
  • NYCBruin said:

Holy fuck, you are annoying.  Why are you so anti-women?  You may find me annoying, what I find myself is amused as hell. Never once did I say I was anti-women. Because I prefer the way men think/problem solve to the way women do, doesn't make me anti-women. It simply means I have a preference.

You do realize also that although you claim to be more like a guy and don't like drama like most women, you have spent an insane amount of time on here for the sole purpose of stirring up drama. Because this shit is fucking funny! 

Pretend to be "one of the guys" all you want.  I can't know the reason why you don't have a lot of female friends but I'm sure it has nothing to do with you actually being more like a guy. It may have something to do with your open dislike (jealousy maybe?) of other women or the fact that it sounds like you like to put other women down to make yourself more attractive to men. Um, you realize you just made all of this up, right? Never did I say I didn't have a lot of female friends. I never mentioned friendships one way or the other, with men or women. But thanks for offering up some of your insight. That's good stuff! 

• NYCBruin said:

You do realize also that although you claim to be more like a guy and don't like drama like most women, you have spent an insane amount of time on here for the sole purpose of stirring up drama.

Pretend to be "one of the guys" all you want.  I can't know the reason why you don't have a lot of female friends but I'm sure it has nothing to do with you actually being more like a guy.  It may have something to do with your open dislike (jealousy maybe?) of other women or the fact that it sounds like you like to put other women down to make yourself more attractive to men.
    This.  If you really hate the knot so much why the hell are you here?  You've made it extremely obvious you hate all advice given on here, and you've made it obvious you won't listen to anyone, so if you really wanted to avoid drama, you wouldn't bother commenting, or even looking at these message boards.  And don't give me that stupid "Someone has to tell these people off" argument,  you're not teaching anyone a lesson and you're not doing anything worthwhile, you're just arguing.
    Someone who is really "One of the guys" wouldn't be on the knot picking fights.  
    If you were really so above this drama and really didn't care what any of us had to say, you'd delete your account and go find something else to do.  
    Like I've said above - this shit is too funny! Where else can you find some nutjob proclaiming she checks public records prior to RSVP'ing for weddings, et al? I guess I'm too easily amused.
  • Lamiavita said:
    Forgive me on being totally lost on the Mexico thing... I ask out of genuine curiosity. Why do you need to go to Mexico at all? If you're already married, why not you and your H take your honeymoon in Mexico? I don't understand why you want to get married in Mexico if you're already married?
    Super short version: we got engaged, started planning a DW in Mexico, decided to take care of the paperwork in our home state first bc we do not prefer the requirements in MX, FI got sick, needed insurance, we decided to take care of the legal portion sooner than next fall so he could obtain said insurance. Neither of us consider signing a marriage license the same thing as a wedding, despite opposing viewpoints offered here. We decided not to change our plans. DW is still a go.
  • SKPM said:
    As a woman, when I want to solve problems and avoid drama, I actually get married at my wedding, do not lie to my wedding guests, and do not incessantly and knowingly stir up drama on a predominately-female wedding forum while simultaneously putting down women for stirring up drama.
    Wow. You're witty.
  • Lamiavita said:
    Super short version: we got engaged, started planning a DW in Mexico, decided to take care of the paperwork in our home state first bc we do not prefer the requirements in MX, FI got sick, needed insurance, we decided to take care of the legal portion sooner than next fall so he could obtain said insurance. Neither of us consider signing a marriage license the same thing as a wedding, despite opposing viewpoints offered here. We decided not to change our plans. DW is still a go.
    Super, super short version:  Fraud, lie, cheat.  Not necessarily in that order.  But when the attributes are that pathetic, does it matter?  Not to them, so it shouldn't for us.
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

NYCBruin said:

You may find me annoying, what I find myself is amused as hell. Never once did I say I was anti-women. Because I prefer the way men think/problem solve to the way women do, doesn't make me anti-women. It simply means I have a preference.

You do realize also that although you claim to be more like a guy and don't like drama like most women, you have spent an insane amount of time on here for the sole purpose of stirring up drama. Because this shit is fucking funny! 

Pretend to be "one of the guys" all you want.  I can't know the reason why you don't have a lot of female friends but I'm sure it has nothing to do with you actually being more like a guy. It may have something to do with your open dislike (jealousy maybe?) of other women or the fact that it sounds like you like to put other women down to make yourself more attractive to men. Um, you realize you just made all of this up, right? Never did I say I didn't have a lot of female friends. I never mentioned friendships one way or the other, with men or women. But thanks for offering up some of your insight. That's good stuff! 

Are you really so dumb that you don't realize how perpetuating false generalizations and stereotypes about men and women and the way they think is incredibly anti-women?

If so, I'm legitimately sad for you.

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards