October 2014 Weddings

Honeymoon plans?

We are still deciding on where to go for our honeymoon. We are thinking we might want to do Bermuda.  Has anybody already booked their honeymoon? and if you have where? 

Re: Honeymoon plans?

• We just booked ours at the beginning of the year and our wedding is Oct 18 - we will be going on the honeymoon Oct 22-29. We will be going to Sandals Grande Saint Lucian in Saint Lucia. 

My parents have been to Bermuda, and really enjoyed it, but it can tend to rain a bit! But that is generally typical for a tropical climate. Just be sure to research the general weather for the time you are looking so you can have a good idea. Hope you have a wonderful time which wherever you choose to go!
  • We booked our honeymoon in St. Thomas!  Wedding is Oct 11, 2014.
  • We just booked our flights for two weeks in Italy!!! We're starting the trip in Rome and ending in Milan so now we just need to fill in the details! :)

Regarding Bermuda... Don't forget that it's much cooler there than in the Caribbean, October is hurricane season and it might not be warm enough for swimming, etc. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're thinking of taking a short trip out to Colorado immediately after the wedding - think mountain lodge, hot tub, fireplace - and then take a bigger trip either a year later or sometime in the winter.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for the advice and St Lucia is gorgeous! 
  • Yea lots of decisions to make our wedding is Oct 5 this year so we don't know if we want to book our honeymoon for later in October or in early November. We deff want to go somewhere tropical and warm! 
  • Our original plan was to go to Dreams Resort in Puerto Vallarta and just as we were about to book, we sadly found out that they were being bought out by the Hyatt and had to come up with a new location, as the resort was going to be closed during the time we were looking due to new renovations to take on the brand of Hyatt. But I think it worked out in the long run!
  • FH and I are taking advantage of getting married in the fall and taking a rail trip through New England to check out the foliage. We already live by the beach so we wanted something different.

PP are correct about hurricane season...the tail end of it is in Oct/Nov so just be aware if you're traveling to the Caribbean. Aruba/Curacao is out of the hurricane belt and still gives you the beach.

Also a note on Bermuda for you...the average temps in November can be as low as mid 60s...not so tropical! The Bahamas would be a bit warmer, mid 70s and up. Aruba/Curacao would also be closer to high 70s/low 80s at that time of year.

Just keep in mind too, that time of the year is still considered the wet season for a lot of islands. But that does typically mean off-season pricing so you could find a great deal! Good luck!

• We decided to integrate our wedding with our honeymoon, so we are getting married in Texas as we travel through the Lone Star State!

We are planning an October 12th wedding at Chapel Dulcinea just outside of Austin and then traveling to Dallas/Fort Worth and then up to Oklahoma to visit my fathers hometown of Duncan and up to Oklahoma City.
  • We booked our honeymoon for ten days in Hawaii, so excited!

• Thanks everyone I will deff look into Aruba keep the suggestions coming! 
  • We booked our honeymoon in Bali! I can't wait to spend some time on the beach after all this planning!
  • We booked for St Lucia for 7 days. I wanted to do Mexico, but I was afraid of hurricane season. Wherever you look, especially in the Caribbean just be mindful that its Hurricane season. Look at past weather patterns and such. Even if you don't book with a travel agent, sit down and talk with one and they can offer you some helpful insights to areas you may like and had no idea existed. 
  • Wedding date is 10/18 we are leaving 10/20 for Las Vegas! We are very excited.

Anniversary
  • Jean0715 said:
    We booked for St Lucia for 7 days. I wanted to do Mexico, but I was afraid of hurricane season. Wherever you look, especially in the Caribbean just be mindful that its Hurricane season. Look at past weather patterns and such. Even if you don't book with a travel agent, sit down and talk with one and they can offer you some helpful insights to areas you may like and had no idea existed. 
    This is very true.  A friend of mine is a travel agent and I asked her what she suggested for something warm in October.  She said Jamaica is the best bet for the beginning of October so that's where we're going :)
  • We know that we want it in earlier (versus later) October, but actual wedding dates aren't set yet, so we haven't yet set the honeymoon dates either!
  • All of your plans sound wonderful! I'm completely jealous! Because I'm a new teacher, I only get 5 days off all year---three of which I'm taking for the wedding.  We'll have to wait until the summer for our honeymoon.  I'm getting some great location ideas from you all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • also did any of you girls use a travel agent? 
  • Fiance booked our honeymoon, but won't tell me where!  He will only say that I need my passport to go (we already have them).  I'm excited, but nervous!  Wedding is in October so I have nine months to get it out of him!  
  • We haven't booked our honeymoon yet. We'd like to go to Munich, Germany for a week but since our budget is still undetermined (waiting on our first time homebuyer's tax credit and annual bonus) we haven't made any hard decisions. I don't think we'll use a travel agent. I have distant family who live in the area that are willing to help us with booking some of the things we'd like to do (pro soccer match, opera house, stuff like that).

•  We are heading to Mexico (Excellence Playa Mujeres) on 10/20. Hoping for sunshine!
  • Haven't booked yet, but we are going to Portugal for 1 or 2 weeks depending how much time I can get off from work. Looking forward to it :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow everyone is going to such exciting places! You girls are deff helping me narrow down my list!!
  • Jean0715 said:
    We booked for St Lucia for 7 days. 
    Where in St. Lucia are you staying?  

We just booked ours at the beginning of the year and our wedding is Oct 18 - we will be going on the honeymoon Oct 22-29. We will be going to Sandals Grande Saint Lucian in Saint Lucia. 
    We seriously considered the Sandals Grande St. Lucian -- it looks wonderful :)  I think we are going to Secrets Maroma Beach in the Mayan Riviera area though... equally impressive and slightly closer to our budget.  I figure the hurricane gamble is similar with both, and we're going for two full weeks so its unlikely anything would spoil more than a few days of the trip.  Hopefully we will be making a final decision in the next few days!
  • We're doing a mini-moon for 2 days after the wedding. We'll be going somewhere on the east coast/mid-atlantic that we can drive to. Probably mountains or a lake. Then we're going to do our big honeymoon in March of 2015 (my fiance doesn't have a ton of vacation, so we couldn't do time off for a wedding plus a honeymoon in the same year). We're pretty set on Aruba right now since it's drier and barely rains there. Plus there are less bugs. If you are going in October/November of 2014 I would suggest Aruba cause it's south of the hurricane belt.
  • Since we will be in Maui for our wedding, we are going to spend another 4 nights there on a different part of the island and then my fiance wants to fly to Vegas for a few nights afterwards. Hopefully we will be booking everything very soon!
  • cheesecakeassassin Oh Vegas sounds like so much fun! I have always wanted to go! I was thinking that the FI and I could go there for our 1 year anniversary. I'm sure he won't take much convincing since he loves Vegas. 
  • we changed our plans. Instead of Jamaica, we are going to FI's family cottage for the week. We are about two hours north of Toronto and it is on a lake so a nice low key week of long walks in the woods, small town shopping, and awesome coffee on the deck :)
  • We just booked the hotel rooms - 6 nights in a slopeside condo at Mont Tremblant (hot tubs, sleigh rides, dog sledding, skiing!) and then 3 nights in Quebec City. Waiting until late summer/early fall to buy the actual tickets/make other reservations once the new prices come out... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards