Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cousin set his date a week apart

2»

Re: Cousin set his date a week apart

• I wouldn't be offended. You are free to be upset if you wish, but there isn't much to do other than smile and carry on. My cousin just announced that she will be getting married three days after my wedding. I really don't mind. So we both love the same month! Cest la vie. (spelling???)
  • I wouldn't be offended. You are free to be upset if you wish, but there isn't much to do other than smile and carry on. My cousin just announced that she will be getting married three days after my wedding. I really don't mind. So we both love the same month! Cest la vie. (spelling???)
    Wow, I am usually not ruffled but a three day wedding would annoy me because I would probably be away on my honeymoon and bummed out I couldn't make it to her wedding.  But she must have a good reason, and I'm glad you aren't bothered!

Your spelling was right there, just forgot an apostrophe.  C'est la vie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• OP @crystalxolove Where did you go??

• You get ONE day. One...not a week, not a month. Why are you unable to be happy for your cousin and his FI?

I have a friend who got engaged after me and is getting married 2 weeks before me. No..I am not mad, not she's not stealing my thunder. I am just happy for her.

THIS.
    Two of my friends' friendships were RUINED because 1 got royally pissed that the other set her date a week before hers (even though my other friend ASKED HER PERMISSION).

As you know, there are a lot of things that go into picking out a wedding date. This date is what worked best for them. They shouldn't have to postpone their wedding for several months because his cousin is getting married around the same time. Their lives and their wedding don't revolve around you (that's what my friend also failed to realize)

You may be annoyed, but try to get over that. you will still have your special day and it really won't matter who is getting married during the weeks surrounding your wedding
  • I read this same post on Wedding Wire and the responses were complete opposite...

The travesty of someone booking a wedding a week before you! 
    The holy gods of wedding bliss are upset....

That site aggravates my ulcer...
    And you were surprised because. . . .?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I read this same post on Wedding Wire and the responses were complete opposite...

The travesty of someone booking a wedding a week before you! 
    The holy gods of wedding bliss are upset....

That site aggravates my ulcer...
    And you were surprised because. . . .?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
    Hey, some of us read Wedding Wire when work is slow and we need entertainment ...
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • be annoyed but get over it quickly. Not worth putting you in a bad mood for your wedding.  Like PPs said, you get one day, they get one day.  If it was the SAME day, get mad. There is nothing you technically need to be doing a week from your wedding, and if there is you can decline to go to theirs, or choose to work around their wedding. no big deal.   

Anniversary
  • @JCBRIDE2014 - I agree with you. I wouldn't be annoyed or angry - just bummed that I'd be missing it :). I know everyone's families are different - but I LOVE my cousins and I don't get to see them enough. Now that everyone's immediate familes are being extended - we see each other at Christmas, weddings and funerals. So two weddings in one year - that gives me more time to see those I don't get to see enough. I was married this past October and my one cousin is getting married this July.  I CAN'T wait to be a guest at the wedding, a) to see Jen get married and b) to be at the cousin table where I can catch up with everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    How is that working?  Is someone getting married on a weekday?
  • Here's a great barometer.  We had our date locked in, cousins book 3 weeks after us.  They are awesome, we're thrilled.  A complication came up, and we had to move our date 2 weeks after theirs. Cue the shit storm."Family hardship, how could you guys do this, blah blah blah."  

So 3 is ok, 2 is frowned upon, and 1, how could you?  The one thing we're learning is that whatever decision we make, someone is going to gripe.  So roll with it.  It's helped us to better figure out what we want and learn to  appreciate the finer points of bean dip  

How is that working?  Is someone getting married on a weekday?

We are both getting married on weekdays. It worked out better for OOT family and friends that way. My date is a Monday so that FI's relatives up in Canada and Michigan can drive down over the weekend. They don't / won't fly so... Not sure why she chose her weekday though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards