Snarky Brides

Plants/Trees/Flowers as Favors (somewhat vent)

2»

Re: Plants/Trees/Flowers as Favors (somewhat vent)

• I think most girls would somewhat be okay with plants- but guys? Hell NO.

My fiance and I both got a plant as a wedding favor and he just felt awkward with it. 
    I wouldn't even say most girls. There are a lot of girls on this thread that said they wouldn't like plants. That is a huge generalization and not really one I appreciate. I think my FI wouldn't mind a plant, he has a greener thumb than I do.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like plants but I too think they're awkward as favors.  My husband and I chose to not have favors in favor of paying for more booze and cake...plus pretty much any favor I've ever seen at a wedding is not something I want to take home.  Tiny STRONGLY vanilla scented candle, homemade paper program fan, small seed packet (not planted yet and the wedding was quite a while ago.)  Now, the small Hershey bars sprinkled at the table did get eaten, but chocolate is tasty (and to further my point, they didn't make it home because they were consumed).

The main thing about cacti is that you don't water them too often, let them have a decent amount of sunshine, make sure they have a lot of drainage and when you do water them, you water from underneath.  (Small dish under pot gets the water, not the pot itself.)  Some cacti will deal with being watered from above but they prefer to tap water trapped further down.  You can kill a cacti by watering it too much or keeping it in a pot with no drainage (rotting the root system).  Sorry to anyone not wanting a random cacti botany session but I have a lovely cactus that I bought as a sickly little plant and have grown into a prickly pet over these last several years.  Transplanting him is always a super-fun thing.
  • There will be no favors at my wedding. And I am not even the least bit sorry for that.
  • @sarahufl me neither- super pointless in my eyes! 

• We're having olive oils as ours.
    But otherwise, I would just do chocolate candies or something edible instead. Or put the money towards a dessert bar.
  • I think you just need to know your crowd. For example, half of my invite list is traveling via airplane. Plants wouldn't work in that case. If we do favors, I have been thinking about candy apples. The wedding is next Nov, so it can tie into the Autumn season.
  • What about a small candle?
  • @Nov182015 Depends on the candle. My mom is allergic to scents so she would pass on scented candles or give them away, and I know others like this. Some guests traveling to very warm locations may not be able to take a candle in case it melts in their stuff. But if you gave the little candles that are in jars and weren't heavily scented, that could be really nice!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Yes, I was thinking unscented, and all of my guests are in-town. Thank you.
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014
    Nov182015 said:
    What about a small candle?
    I think this is a better idea for a bridal shower favor.  Again, this is something most male guests are not likely to appreciate or want to take with them.

I am taking the frequent advice on here that edible is the way to go and doing a little box with 2 french macarons--one in champagne flavor and one in chocolate flavor.
  • Nov182015 said:
    I think this is a better idea for a bridal shower favor.  Again, this is something most male guests are not likely to appreciate or want to take with them.

I am taking the frequent advice on here that edible is the way to go and doing a little box with 2 french macarons--one in champagne flavor and one in chocolate flavor.
    Not necessarily true. My dad and my FI both love candles! My dad has a Yankee Candle addiction....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll

• Nov182015 said:

Well, I guess I can't please everyone. Good luck with your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards