Wedding Party

Jobs for kids other than Flower Girls and Ring Bearers?

Between my FI and I, we have 12 nieces and nephews. We've got two 11 year old nieces, two 9 year old nieces, one 8 year old nephew, two 7 year old nieces, one 7 year old nephew, an 6 year old nephew, two 3 year old nieces and a 2 year old niece.

We're thinking of having our three youngest nieces as flower girls, accompanied by our two 9 year old nieces, which we think will be cute, and then having our 6 year old nephew as the ring bearer. However, we do want to have all 12 of them in the wedding party, but we can only think of jobs for 6 of them. Do you guys know any other jobs for kids?

Re: Jobs for kids other than Flower Girls and Ring Bearers?

• GinnaN said:
    Between my FI and I, we have 12 nieces and nephews. We've got two 11 year old nieces, two 9 year old nieces, one 8 year old nephew, two 7 year old nieces, one 7 year old nephew, an 6 year old nephew, two 3 year old nieces and a 2 year old niece.

We're thinking of having our three youngest nieces as flower girls, accompanied by our two 9 year old nieces, which we think will be cute, and then having our 6 year old nephew as the ring bearer. However, we do want to have all 12 of them in the wedding party, but we can only think of jobs for 6 of them. Do you guys know any other jobs for kids?

Unless you are paying them, you shouldn't be offering them jobs.  If you wanted, you could ask the older children be bridesmaids and groomsmen.  Or, they could just help the little ones get down the aisle.
  • GinnaN said:

There is no job that will be good enough for the rest of the kids.  Imagine that some of the kids get to walk in the wedding and the rest just get to hand out programs or something.  My advice is to have all of them or none of them.

Make the 11 and 9 years olds bridesmaids, the 8 year old boy as a GM, the 7 year olds girls as FGs and the 7 year old boy as RB.  I think the rest of the girls could be labelded as FGs, but don't anticipate on them actually participating.  That is very young and they may get stage fright when the time comes.  So have them listed as FGs in the program, but don't expect them to make it down the aisle. 

My 3 year old nephew was a RB, but there was no way he was making it down the aisle.  He was listed in the program and I got him a gift for participating.

Also, be mindful of the cost of all of the attire necessary for these kids.  Sometimes their attire can cost just as much or more than the adults.  My SIL bought my nephews tuxes off amazon.com.  Look for after Easter sales for dresses for the rest of the girls or even after Christmas depending on when your wedding is.  Also, ask their parents' first to make sure its ok.  Because they are the ones who will be paying for their attire.

• The only roles for kids are ring bearer and flower girl, and these are for kids ages 3 or older.  Kids younger than that don't know what they're doing and will not remember it later.

There is no need to create a role for every kid in your families or whom you interact with.  But it is okay to have multiple ring bearers and flower girls.  One thing: don't use wagons or have kids carry signs or ring bells.  It may seem "cute," but many places don't allow wagons and it's dangerous.  Also, your adult guests don't need a sign or a bell to know that the bride is coming or whatever else is happening, and it just doesn't come off as "cute."
  • Jen4948 said:
    The only roles for kids are ring bearer and flower girl, and these are for kids ages 3 or older.  Kids younger than that don't know what they're doing and will not remember it later.

There is no need to create a role for every kid in your families or whom you interact with.  But it is okay to have multiple ring bearers and flower girls.  One thing: don't use wagons or have kids carry signs or ring bells.  It may seem "cute," but many places don't allow wagons and it's dangerous.  Also, your adult guests don't need a sign or a bell to know that the bride is coming or whatever else is happening, and it just doesn't come off as "cute."
    I don't remember anything from when I was 3 and I barely remember anything before I was 8 (gosh even older then that) so even if you use kids that are 3 or older there is a good chance that they won't remember it either.

• Jen4948 said:
    The only roles for kids are ring bearer and flower girl, and these are for kids ages 3 or older.  Kids younger than that don't know what they're doing and will not remember it later.

I don't remember anything from when I was 3 and I barely remember anything before I was 8 (gosh even older then that) so even if you use kids that are 3 or older there is a good chance that they won't remember it either.
    With a kid younger than 3, the best you can hope for is that they don't have a meltdown or just get stubborn like a mule and refuse to cooperate.  Of course, that's also true of anyone older than 3, but again, they can understand to some extent what you're asking them to do.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

With a kid younger than 3, the best you can hope for is that they don't have a meltdown or just get stubborn like a mule and refuse to cooperate.  Of course, that's also true of anyone older than 3, but again, they can understand to some extent what you're asking them to do.
    I'm not saying that it is good idea to have kids younger then 3 in the wedding, all I am saying is that even if you go by the 3 year old age limit those kids aren't going to remember that they were in a wedding when they grow up.  The only way they will remember is by looking at pictures.

Honestly, I don't think kids under the age of 10 should be in weddings.  I just don't think that they really understand what is truly going on and what their role is at a younger age.

• Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

I'm not saying that it is good idea to have kids younger then 3 in the wedding, all I am saying is that even if you go by the 3 year old age limit those kids aren't going to remember that they were in a wedding when they grow up.  The only way they will remember is by looking at pictures.

Honestly, I don't think kids under the age of 10 should be in weddings.  I just don't think that they really understand what is truly going on and what their role is at a younger age.
    When it comes to kids under 10, I'm willing to make an allowance for kids between the ages of 3 and 10.  They might remember, they might not.  But I think that whether or not they can remember in the short term and understand what they're being asked to do would be the qualifying criteria for me-not whether or not they can remember decades down the road.
  • A couple of them can do readings - that's what my oldest 2 nephews are doing.   I'm also having 2 ring bearers instead of 1 because i didn't want to leave any of my niece or nephew's out.  

• Can anybody explain ringing of bells thing to me? I've never heard of that before and it sounds cute.

But I do need to give them all different roles, not because they will fight, but because I love them to pieces, and they are as important to me as my brother and sister and FBIL. And I'm simply not happy with the junior bridesmaid/groomsmen thing, I don't think it's fit well.
  • Ditto Maggie.  There are only so many roles for a wedding until you start looking desperate trying to create them.

Can't you just have a few pictures snapped with you and your nieces/nephews on your wedding day?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    GinnaN said:
    Can anybody explain ringing of bells thing to me? I've never heard of that before and it sounds cute.

But I do need to give them all different roles, not because they will fight, but because I love them to pieces, and they are as important to me as my brother and sister and FBIL. And I'm simply not happy with the junior bridesmaid/groomsmen thing, I don't think it's fit well.
    As to the ringing of bells, isn't that what the organ or piano music, or recording, is supposed to announce?  Little kids ringing bells on top of that is a cacophony and unnecessary.

You don't need roles, let alone different roles, for everyone at your wedding, adult or kid.

"Guest" is an honored role for kids as well as adults.
  • What about having the kids walk down the aisle with a sign saying "I'm a kid so I have to be included because I'm a kid!" Because essentially that's all you're doing.

All snarkiness aside, I suppose you could have some older kids be ushers of some sort, or help pass out programs or something? But it does feel a bit odd and forced. Do they all have an interest in being involved? Not all kids want to be in the spotlight.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

There is really only so many rolls to go around.  The only ones that are required are the first 3 (maybe 4th depending on the location). 

You have:

officiant, 
    bride (x 2 if lesbian wedding)
    groom (x2 if gay wedding)
    witness (depends on state/location.  Some do not require any, others up to 2)
    MOH 
    Best Man
    BM  (some will add Junior BM.  I just call them all BM)
    GM  (some will add Junior GM.  Again I just them all GM)
    usher
    flower girl
    ring bearer
    reader
    I've heard having a kid walk down a 'here comes the bride sign.  Never seen it in real life.

For Catholic weddings there are few more like bringing up the gifts. Other religions might also have something similar.

Those are pretty much your choices.    Pick one or just have them as regular guests.   But not make up stupid jobs just to "included" them.   I have 7 nieces and nephews.   We had them as BM and GMs.   Work out just fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Can they be bridesmaids and groomsmen?
  • GinnaN said:

I'm having two "Pages", boys ages 6-8 help hand out programs before the ceremony. I'm having two girls middle school aged be "Ladies in Waiting" - they are straightening my 11 foot long veil and train at the altar for my MOH since theres so much material and the girls are OBSESSED with wedding dresses, say yes to the dress, and went dress shopping with me. 

image   image   image

• GinnaN said:

I'm having two "Pages", boys ages 6-8 help hand out programs before the ceremony. I'm having two girls middle school aged be "Ladies in Waiting" - they are straightening my 11 foot long veil and train at the altar for my MOH since theres so much material and the girls are OBSESSED with wedding dresses, say yes to the dress, and went dress shopping with me. 
    While this is a nice idea, I don't see how it's going to work logistically.  I think the teens are just going to get in your MOH's way.

It only takes one person to adjust and "fluff" a train and veil, regardless of the length.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Get ready ladies, the TK Newsletter had a link to this thread today. . . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I am having the same issue. But we only have nephews. The oldest is part of the groomsmen. The youngest is going to carry the rings and the middle 3 are going to be ushers. We did toss around the idea of having a flower girl, who is a baby and too young to walk, being wheeled out in a wagon by one of the boys. It's still an option we are considering. Happy planning!!
  • I am an older bride and am having my grandchildren in our wedding.You could have two ring bearers
    two flower girls and two holding a banner as I am making for them which says "Here comes the bride".You could have the others guiding and directing,or have two separate sets one for the precession and one set for the recession
  • You could have the older boys as page boys.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_boy
    You can also have the older girls as junior bridesmaids.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridesmaid
  • 1. YOU are the bride. So you and your fiancee can do whatever it is that you want. If you want 7 flower girls and 5 ring bearers, who cares! Little kids LOVE being in weddings and are probably the only ones who really want to be in a wedding when all is said and done. Ditch the rules and do what you want. Jr ushers, someone to hand out the programs, bubble distributors, and anything else you can think of can be their role. I have junior ushers who are walking ladies down and handing out programs. Sure, its your day but is it really worth using that day to teach a kid that life isn't fair?
    When I was a kid I would have hated to be in a wedding.  Like, would have rather spent my day doing chores or reading then be in a wedding.

And when is a good time to teach a kid that life isn't always fair?  I personally think that everyday is a good day to teach this to a child, even on someone's wedding day.

• Unlike many of the posts here, I think you can find a way to include all the kids and give them each a special job to do.  We have 10 children involved in our wedding.  The two youngest girls (2 and 4) are flower girls, the 3 youngest boys are ring bearers (1, 3, 6), the older girls are bridal attendants (8, 9, 10), and the older boys are ushers (both 13).  The bridal attendants will have jobs like passing out bubbles after the ceremony for the exit, making sure people sign the guest book, helping find place cards, etc.  Our ushers are old enough to do the job on their own, but you can certainly have younger boys serve as ushers or assistant ushers as well.  

Not everyone has to purchase a new and matching outfit.  We are having our bridal attendants just wear a light grey dress of their choosing and I am having matching flower headbands for them.  With the boys, we are just asking them to wear the same tie.  It does not need to be overly expensive to include more people in your wedding.

There are so many little details involved in a wedding that you can certainly find little jobs for kids to do.  Even if they are not necessary jobs or things that would be fine on their own, I think it is important to involve as many people as you can, especially with regards to children.  It keeps them occupied and focused knowing they have a special job.  
  • aplatt3 said:
    Unlike many of the posts here, I think you can find a way to include all the kids and give them each a special job to do.  We have 10 children involved in our wedding.  The two youngest girls (2 and 4) are flower girls, the 3 youngest boys are ring bearers (1, 3, 6), the older girls are bridal attendants (8, 9, 10), and the older boys are ushers (both 13).  The bridal attendants will have jobs like passing out bubbles after the ceremony for the exit, making sure people sign the guest book, helping find place cards, etc.  Our ushers are old enough to do the job on their own, but you can certainly have younger boys serve as ushers or assistant ushers as well.  

Not everyone has to purchase a new and matching outfit.  We are having our bridal attendants just wear a light grey dress of their choosing and I am having matching flower headbands for them.  With the boys, we are just asking them to wear the same tie.  It does not need to be overly expensive to include more people in your wedding.

There are so many little details involved in a wedding that you can certainly find little jobs for kids to do.  Even if they are not necessary jobs or things that would be fine on their own, I think it is important to involve as many people as you can, especially with regards to children.  It keeps them occupied and focused knowing they have a special job.  
    Seriously?  You expect an 8, 9 and 10 year old to be that focused for that amount of time to help people find their place cards and sign the guest book?  I give them 10 minutes before they are off and running around and playing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards