Wedding Etiquette Forum

Shower Etiquette Fail

This was just sent to me by a friend. It was in a group text sent to her by her friend, who works with the bride.
(So cautionary tale... if you do something against etiquette, you might think that because no one says anything to your face about it that everyone is fine with it, when in fact, everyone you're doing it to is talking about it with their friends, who might talk about it to their friends... )

---

Wednesday - Just got a bridal shower outlook meeting notice that was sent to everyone in our office (like 200 people).  It's from the gal who is getting married... I've never even met her.  It includes her registry info and a request that each person in attendance bring their fave finger food.  Where to start??  Is this real life?!   

*Insert snarky comments from all of the girls on the group text* - hilarious.

Friday - Update: bridal shower girl sent out another email with FOUR additional registries "If you are planning on shopping this weekend".

*Insert more comments from the girls...* you can imagine.

Today - Update email on outlook invite for bridal shower: she's leaving the company soon, so she thinks it may be easier to collect donations in lieu of a shower.  Please drop off by next Tuesday.

---

Really???

Re: Shower Etiquette Fail

• bwhahahaha- accept donations?! She sounds special.
  • Oh my god! I would be so embarrassed if I was the bride. I could never solicit money from my coworkers especially if I was leaving the company. Yikes!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ><

http://24.media.tumblr.com/eb06aa4923b5cb57b22f372236efd3ec/tumblr_mzvh0q2iQy1tqm119o6_400.gif

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'd be completely mortified if someone did that to me.
  • edited January 2014
    I'd be completely mortified if someone did that to me.
    Read it again…the bride did it to herself. So no worries, you wouldn't have to be mortified bc you'd never do that.  :)

Wonder if she is "leaving" the company due to improper group emails sent????
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• you have got to reply. she is ridiculous. 
  • Oh man. That reflects so, so poorly on her in her workplace. 
  • thanks for the laugh

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh my god! I would be so embarrassed if I was the bride. I could never solicit money from my coworkers especially if I was leaving the company. Yikes!

Sadly, I doubt this bride, or others with her mentality, would ever be embarrassed.  They are either completely clueless, or are so arrogant they find themselves to be above etiquette.  If others find fault/issue with her approach, I am sure this bride would insist the fault lies with them, and not her.
  • Holy shit. That is bananas. 
  • Donations in lieu of a shower???????????

Huh??????????

No other words will do.
  • I'd be completely mortified if someone did that to me.
    Read it again…the bride did it to herself. So no worries, you wouldn't have to be mortified bc you'd never do that.  :)

Wonder if she is "leaving" the company due to improper group emails sent????
    You got that right! :) I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt that I misread that it was her and someone else was actually sending the emails on her behalf... I need more coffee.

• The word "donation" gets thrown around a lot these days when it isn't actually applicable.

A "donation" is money or goods that you give to a charitible or not-for-profit organization that results a tax deduction.  Anything else is just a handout.  No different from begging on the street.

• delujm0 said:

The word "donation" gets thrown around a lot these days when it isn't actually applicable.

A "donation" is money or goods that you give to a charitible or not-for-profit organization that results a tax deduction.  Anything else is just a handout.  No different from begging on the street.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I am flabbergasted! How could she ever think this is ok?!   I wouldn't be able to resist emailing back to let her know just how classy she is.
  • This can't be real.
  • I would "donate" an etiquette book.
  • Not completely unrelated, but my friends, coworkers & I had quite the chuckle over this FACEBOOK post today...from an acquaintance of mine:

"Hello friends and family! February 2 is around the corner. Me and my loving wife will be celebrating 12 Years of marriage together! we thank many of you who have supported us during these wonderful years. Looking up the # 12 and it signifies anointed, perfection, divine authority and appointment etc. Wed desire to do something big on this 12 year anniversary. If you would like to bless, donate or assist in any monetary way, we pray that God will bless and multiply your giving abundantly above more than you can ask, think or imagine. This Sunday Feb 2 is when we will be enjoying our anniversary and during that week as we will be on vacation. Please inbox either of us if you are interested in assisting.... Should you want to help monetarily our Paypal email address is [redacted]. Thank you and may God bless you!"
  • mizangi said:
    Not completely unrelated, but my friends, coworkers & I had quite the chuckle over this FACEBOOK post today...from an acquaintance of mine:

"Hello friends and family! February 2 is around the corner. Me and my loving wife will be celebrating 12 Years of marriage together! we thank many of you who have supported us during these wonderful years. Looking up the # 12 and it signifies anointed, perfection, divine authority and appointment etc. Wed desire to do something big on this 12 year anniversary. If you would like to bless, donate or assist in any monetary way, we pray that God will bless and multiply your giving abundantly above more than you can ask, think or imagine. This Sunday Feb 2 is when we will be enjoying our anniversary and during that week as we will be on vacation. Please inbox either of us if you are interested in assisting.... Should you want to help monetarily our Paypal email address is [redacted]. Thank you and may God bless you!"
    OH. MY. WORD.

Who actually thinks that is OK?

But... did people comment/like it?  Did anyone call them out??
  • 31 people "liked" it and after 5 hours only one person has commented "congrats [dude] thats is hard to do now a days , to stay together that long is a blessing from god . Im happy for you"
  • Since she wants donations I would get her a couple of cans of spam, and some ramen noodles.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Donations?  Is she a soup kitchen?
  • What about gently worn shoes and clothing? And can I deduct it on my taxes?
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards