Wedding Etiquette Forum

Brace Yourselves...

...Valentines Day engagements are coming

Re: Brace Yourselves...

• I totally forgot. I give it a week before threads blow up with special snowflakes.
  • Nooooooooooooo!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Isn't it now just too cliché? You'd think a special snowflake would settle for nothing less than a unique proposal on a totally unique day.
  • One on my Facebook so far...ring tied to a teddy bear
  • banana468 said:
    Isn't it now just too cliché? You'd think a special snowflake would settle for nothing less than a unique proposal on a totally unique day.
    Nope, they get the cliché V-Day proposal and then a re-do when they realize everyone else got the same thing.  A Pretty Engagement Day - PED

• This shall be fun... (I may have had a small manic grin and putting my fingers together like in Austin Powers; however, I'm too lazy to google for a gif this morning)
  • I decided that I was bored and semi-stalked the Just Engaged board. Holy bad etiquette advice on there! Seriously, a "Honeyfund" to pay for champagne, travel, etc? People are crazy.
  • AddieL73 said:
    One of the seniors proposed to his junior girlfriend in the cafeteria yesterday. Eyeroll.
    My first response: Ew. My second: Ugh. Someone has clearly watched too much tv...
  • AddieL73 said:
    One of the seniors proposed to his junior girlfriend in the cafeteria yesterday. Eyeroll.
    It's happened at our prom a few years ago.  They didn't end up getting married, but all of the kids talked about how ridiculous it was.  I know that some people can and do find their partners in high school, but I think this was done specifically for attention.  

And in the cafeteria?  How did that go---let me grab some froyo, oh wait my boyfriend is proposing?  Yikes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, the kids were all talking about how stupid it was.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I had one pop up on FB...she got divorced less than a year ago...I'm like what's the rush to jump back into that again?! 

• Oh shoot, chibiyui beat me to the Ned Stark picture.
  • I was a vday engagement last year....but I lurked for a while before I posted anything.
  • I have no problem with valentines or Christmas or whatever engagements. But since the rate of people getting engaged goes up, the rate of special snowflakes goes up. Snowflakes get engaged all the time. A holiday doesn't change that. It's just at a higher rate. Simple math.
  • Orrrr you guys could not assume that everyone who gets engaged on valentines day is some terrible entitled bridezilla, and instead be welcoming to the new brides on the boards.

The point of the thread is rather tongue in cheek. Of course most brides aren't egocentric bridezillas. However after popular times to be engaged there is often an influx of newbies saying, "Etiquette schmettiquette! Do what you want! It's YOUR wedding and if these people love you then they'll be fine with photos of your bridesmaids in matching thongs, cash bars, 5 hour gaps, outdoor ceremonies in July heat with no seating, tiered receptions, or some other completely inappropriate thing. If they complain then they don't have to come and then they must not love you or want the best for you on your day. OMG look at the shiny thing! !!"

• Wow.  Yeah, I do agree that holiday proposals are kind of cliché.  And no, I did not have a Vday or holiday engagement myself, but I kind of feel compelled to defend these people.  You don't really get a choice in what day you get proposed to on so cut these girls some slack!  Does it really matter?  Are they supposed to say no instead?

I recognize that nobody is being personally attacked here, but these boards are open to everyone and a lot of people will feel offended when they read this -- especially for being called "special snowflakes".  The backlash against bad etiquette advice I get, but I just feel like there is there so much unnecessary judgement on these boards and it makes this community so much less inviting. 
    Honestly, this is my problem with proposals in general. I think that two people deciding they want to get married is something they should decide together.

But yeah, I agree with you; being proposed to on a holiday isn't a horrible thing. I think we're all just anxious about the incoming newbies.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    Wow.  Yeah, I do agree that holiday proposals are kind of cliché.  And no, I did not have a Vday or holiday engagement myself, but I kind of feel compelled to defend these people.  You don't really get a choice in what day you get proposed to on so cut these girls some slack!  Does it really matter?  Are they supposed to say no instead?

I recognize that nobody is being personally attacked here, but these boards are open to everyone and a lot of people will feel offended when they read this -- especially for being called "special snowflakes".  The backlash against bad etiquette advice I get, but I just feel like there is there so much unnecessary judgement on these boards and it makes this community so much less inviting. 
    Honestly, this is my problem with proposals in general. I think that two people deciding they want to get married is something they should decide together.

But yeah, I agree with you; being proposed to on a holiday isn't a horrible thing. I think we're all just anxious about the incoming newbies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boxes:
    FI and I decided together that we were ready for the step of marriage. We talked about it and it was never off-limits, it was never me nagging him. It was always "this is what I need to feel ready" and discussion of career and timeline for children was always intertwined.  Only after we both decided we were ready did we start looking at rings. I showed him some styles that I liked and that I don't. I pretty much like simple and classic, but I loved the cathedral look. Then I stepped back and let him pick the final ring and choose a time to surprise me with a proposal, because that was important to him. But it was important after we discussed it like together. We are a team first, then we can do the fun stuff.

His friend on the other hand wants to completely surprise his GF so refuses to talk about marriage with her. We are staying out of it, but I was be completely annoyed if my FI did that (actually if he didn't treat me like an equal partner he wouldn't be my FI)

So long story short, I agree.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Orrrr you guys could not assume that everyone who gets engaged on valentines day is some terrible entitled bridezilla, and instead be welcoming to the new brides on the boards.

Hi. You must be new here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phira said:
    Wow.  Yeah, I do agree that holiday proposals are kind of cliché.  And no, I did not have a Vday or holiday engagement myself, but I kind of feel compelled to defend these people.  You don't really get a choice in what day you get proposed to on so cut these girls some slack!  Does it really matter?  Are they supposed to say no instead?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boxes:
    FI and I decided together that we were ready for the step of marriage. We talked about it and it was never off-limits, it was never me nagging him. It was always "this is what I need to feel ready" and discussion of career and timeline for children was always intertwined.  Only after we both decided we were ready did we start looking at rings. I showed him some styles that I liked and that I don't. I pretty much like simple and classic, but I loved the cathedral look. Then I stepped back and let him pick the final ring and choose a time to surprise me with a proposal, because that was important to him. But it was important after we discussed it like together. We are a team first, then we can do the fun stuff.

His friend on the other hand wants to completely surprise his GF so refuses to talk about marriage with her. We are staying out of it, but I was be completely annoyed if my FI did that (actually if he didn't treat me like an equal partner he wouldn't be my FI)

So long story short, I agree.

That makes no sense to me!    While DH picked out my e-ring and proposed on his own, it was more a formality, KWIM?   We talked about getting married, having babies, and having a future together long before the ring was on my finger.    I can't imagine being OK with a SO who thought he'd plan my future without discussing it with me first. 
  • I guess I kind of missed the joke, some other newbies probably would too.  I thought many of you were calling all of the newly engaged crowd "special snowflakes" and I'm relatively new here so I don't necessarily get all of the tongue-in-cheek comments.  I do appreciate the explanations though.  Sorry for being a bit of a Buzz Killington.

Which is why it is a good idea, in general, to lurk before jumping to conclusions. It gives you a good idea of what the regulars go through, with several questions being asked over and over. I assure you though, they are a very helpful group of people, if given the chance.

And congrats on your engagement!
  • Banana, I agree, but it isn't my place to tell him anything. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards