Snarky Brides

Tatts

I want a tattoo. I have wanted a tattoo for years. I can finally afford my tattoo. FI says "maybe wait til after the wedding?"

Dude, it's going to be on my thigh. Even if we were doing a garter toss, ain't nobody gonna see it but you!

Do any of you have tattoos? Did you/ will you cover them up for your wedding day?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: Tatts

• edited February 2014
    I have four tattoos actually, one of which is across my shoulder blades and one is on the base of my neck.

I did, for a while, consider wearing my hair down to cover them but it's just going to be too warm for me at my May outdoor wedding.

I don't love mine - as I got them 10+ years ago in college, but I'd keep in mind if you REALLY want it covered in a "great" photo there's always photoshop later :)
  • Part of the reason I'm putting the first one on my thigh is for visibility reasons. (Also because it's a nice non-painful spot.)

My aunt and her now ex-husband got matching bear tattoos when they were dating. It was huge, over her whole shoulder, and depicted a bear with a salmon in its mouth. No amount of makeup could make it look like anything but a huge black blob on her back. We couldn't do anything to cover it, since she was wearing a strapless gown.

After the marriage dissolved she tried to get it removed. It was too big to do in one session, and the removal hurt so much that she went and got the part they took off re-done so she wouldn't be stuck with a headless bear on her shoulder forever.

So what I learned from this: pick your tattoos carefully, and if you don't want them to show then don't put them where your clothes won't cover!
    eyeroll
  • I have four tattoos, two of them being on my arms. I have a giant ship with waves and an anchor on my right arm/shoulder and small script on my left arm (upper). I certainly don't plan on covering mine up; in fact FI and I have tattoo appointments in April and I plan on adding a large retro looking Marlin to my arm underneath the ship (or flowers on my left arm, not sure yet). FI's parents are covered in tattoos and FI and I plan on doing the same. I love my tattoos and am so excited that they will be in my wedding pictures. My parents aren't as happy about it but they haven't demanded I cover them up (mom paid for the dress).
  • I have tattoos. I will not cover them for my wedding day. They are a part of me and I am proud of them. If I was uncomfortable enough with them that I wanted to cover them, I'd question why I have them in the first place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a large one on my hip. It's only visible if I'm undressed, but I wouldn't have covered any up if I had visible ones.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I have seven. One on my hip, one on my wrist, one on my forearm, one on my calf, one on my inner thigh, one on my shoulder and a huge piece that goes up my back. Some of them will be visible and no I won't be covering them up.
  • SmileDamnitSmileDamnit member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I have a quote, "This too shall pass" on the inside of my left forearm. My mom about shit when she realized I put it in a rather visible place (and I'm 36), but I want to see it. I actually reference it alllll the time as a reminder to stay present. Don't regret it in the least, and will not be covering it for my wedding.

*edited to actually answer the questions. duh*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have a half sleeve on both arms, a chest piece (unfinished), a wrist tattoo (harry potter shoutout!), a piece on my forearm, my shoulder, and my neck.  All which will be visible for my wedding. I do have another tattoo on my hipbone, but I can't imagine too many people will be seeing that one. 

My mother HATES them and thinks I've made myself look tacky. When she learned about them (we don't talk much) she cried for like three days and still doesn't hesitate to tell people I'm ruining our family name. 

I think you are confused about your thigh being a non-painful spot. Thighs are probably one of the most painful spots to do it. 
    Yours sound gorgeous!

For the painful part: even the outer part of the thigh on the largest muscle would hurt? I'd always heard that bony or sensitive parts of the body like ribs, hands, and feet hurt most.
    eyeroll
  •  shrekspeare said:
    Inkdancer said:
    I have a half sleeve on both arms, a chest piece (unfinished), a wrist tattoo (harry potter shoutout!), a piece on my forearm, my shoulder, and my neck.  All which will be visible for my wedding. I do have another tattoo on my hipbone, but I can't imagine too many people will be seeing that one. 

My mother HATES them and thinks I've made myself look tacky. When she learned about them (we don't talk much) she cried for like three days and still doesn't hesitate to tell people I'm ruining our family name. 

I think you are confused about your thigh being a non-painful spot. Thighs are probably one of the most painful spots to do it. 
    Yours sound gorgeous!

For the painful part: even the outer part of the thigh on the largest muscle would hurt? I'd always heard that bony or sensitive parts of the body like ribs, hands, and feet hurt most.
    Bony parts are supposed to be quite painful. Out of all the ones I have, my wrist hurt more than any of them. I love my tattoo, but there is no way in hell I will ever get it touched up again.

I've seen a few people get tattoos on their thighs, and none of them seemed even mildly comfortable. it looks like it hurt a ton. I think about how painful it is to get an ingrown hair on my thigh, and gawk at the idea of having ink put in.

I suppose the outside of the thigh wouldn't be as bad, but lord help you if you do the top or inside. Yikes!
    I don't have a thigh tattoo but I can say that any particularly fleshy area is going to hurt like a mofo (in my experience anyway). I mentioned that I have a tattoo on my upper left arm - most of the tattoo is towards the outside of my arm and that's what the artist started with. I wasn't watching him do the tattoo and it wasn't really hurting but I could tell you the exact moment he got to the inside of my arm where it's very fleshy - took my breath away from the pain/shock. If/when I do get a thigh tattoo, I'm staying WELL away from the inside of my thigh. Give me the pain of a bony area any day.
  • I don't have any tattoos and have always wanted one. However, I did not want it visible for my wedding, so I'm holding off, I think. I agree with the other ladies, if I had one and wanted to cover it up, I would wonder why I had gotten it in the first place. Plus, with my job, it would not be good to have visible tattoos. Since I don't know exactly what I want, I am sure it's best to wait until I am absolutely postive.

Side not: I am jealous of y'alls guts to get them, I think tattoos can be beautiful artwork.

• ckel24 said:
     shrekspeare said:
    Inkdancer said:
    I have a half sleeve on both arms, a chest piece (unfinished), a wrist tattoo (harry potter shoutout!), a piece on my forearm, my shoulder, and my neck.  All which will be visible for my wedding. I do have another tattoo on my hipbone, but I can't imagine too many people will be seeing that one. 

Yours sound gorgeous!

Bony parts are supposed to be quite painful. Out of all the ones I have, my wrist hurt more than any of them. I love my tattoo, but there is no way in hell I will ever get it touched up again.

I've seen a few people get tattoos on their thighs, and none of them seemed even mildly comfortable. it looks like it hurt a ton. I think about how painful it is to get an ingrown hair on my thigh, and gawk at the idea of having ink put in.

I suppose the outside of the thigh wouldn't be as bad, but lord help you if you do the top or inside. Yikes!
    I don't have a thigh tattoo but I can say that any particularly fleshy area is going to hurt like a mofo (in my experience anyway). I mentioned that I have a tattoo on my upper left arm - most of the tattoo is towards the outside of my arm and that's what the artist started with. I wasn't watching him do the tattoo and it wasn't really hurting but I could tell you the exact moment he got to the inside of my arm where it's very fleshy - took my breath away from the pain/shock. If/when I do get a thigh tattoo, I'm staying WELL away from the inside of my thigh. Give me the pain of a bony area any day.
    I will remember that!
    eyeroll
  •  shrekspeare said:
    Inkdancer said:

Yours sound gorgeous!

DO NOT DO THE INNER THIGH!! I have one on my inner thigh and I love it dearly, it is a memorial to someone and I wouldn't change it but OMG that one hurt worse than any of my other tats. It hurt worse than the one of my wrist. Like I never tear up when I'm getting ink but I teared up a little for that one.
  • No, definitely not inner. I know that would make me cry!

Thinking placement more like this:
    eyeroll
  • jdluvr06 said:
     shrekspeare said:
    Inkdancer said:

Yours sound gorgeous!

DO NOT DO THE INNER THIGH!! I have one on my inner thigh and I love it dearly, it is a memorial to someone and I wouldn't change it but OMG that one hurt worse than any of my other tats. It hurt worse than the one of my wrist. Like I never tear up when I'm getting ink but I teared up a little for that one.
    That's how I feel about the tattoo on my ribs. I don't really remember the pain from any of my others (two arms, one hip), but I remember that pain. It felt like the needle was going into my lungs. 45 minutes of the worst pain I have ever felt. If I can ever muster up the courage again I'd love to have more done along my sides but I just don't think I can do it.
  • I have 3.  My version of the Beauty and the Beast playbill (without the wording of course, lol) is on my left shoulderblade, and I won't be covering it up.  The other one is my dragonfly tattoo on my foot, but my dress is floor length so it wouldn't so.  My third is on my lower back so it won't show.  I wouldn't cover any of them up.  

• I have four. One will be visible on my wedding day. Not covering it up. In fact, I'm thinking of getting it touched up before then. I got it in 1999 and it's faded just a little.
  • I have one so far and its on my left shoulder blade...I will not cover it for my wedding...everyone in our wedding party also has tattoo's and I will not be asking my BM's to cover their's. 
    Anniversary
  • I have two. A rosycroix between my shoulder blades and the words Stronger Than You Think I Am around my right ankle. 
    My ankle tattoo won't show but even if it did I wouldn't cover it. It's my reminder to myself that I am capable of getting through whatever life throws at me, and I do refer to it when I'm having a particularly difficult day. It hurt like hell though, especially around the front (top?) of my ankle and the back by my heel. 
    The rosycroix had meaning to me when I was 18 but doesn't anymore. I'd like to get a cover-up and turn it into something that does have meaning but I haven't decided on what yet. 
    I'm on the fence about covering it for the wedding. I don't even like it much as something pretty anymore. 
    Trying to convince my mom to get a mother/daughter tattoo with me for my milestone birthday next month. Not going well.  
    FYI, my FI got big block script down his ribs last year....didn't even flinch. Rockstar. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have lots of tattoos, and I sure as hell wouldn't cover any of mine up for my wedding or anything else.   I have some on my legs, and two on my back.  The one on my shoulder is decent sized (you can sort of see it in this photo). 

It's on my body forever. It seemed silly to try to fake that it isn't there. 

• I have 6 tattoos. One on the back of my neck, one of my foot, one on the inside of my wrist, one on my side(ribs), one on the inside of my upper arm, and one on my back starting below my shoulder blade going up towards the middle.  My dress has a high back so really only my neck, arm and wrist tattoos will be showing and I am not covering them up at all.

Also, for what it's worth, the tattoo pain is definitely different for each person.  I saw a few people say that their wrist tattoo hurt the worst but for me that was my first and least painful one.  The tattoo on my back when it went towards my spine hurt worse then all of my other tattoos together. So really it's a personal thing and you'll never know where your more sensative area will be.

• I have 10. Many were visible when I got married. I can't really go anywhere without them.
  • @Inkdancer I have a friend that has a tattoo about that size and placement and it's amazing. I think she sat through all of the outline in one sitting and coloring in another. 

A big part of me wanted a tattoo/more tattoos BEFORE getting married! I have a pretty big one on my shoulder blade, and I'm wearing a strapless dress and I can't wait to show it off! I'm sure my parents will wonder why I'm not wearing sleeves, and FI's uncle might pass out when he sees it (we've both been instructed to keep our tattoos hidden from him, not sure why, he's very opinionated and it must be a hot button issue for him) but IMO it'll look great. I wouldn't change a thing.

Just be sure to get it at a time when you can heal. You aren't supposed to swim with a healing tattoo so you don't want to get it right before your honeymoon or something like that!
  • I love hearing everyone's tattoo stories! You are all gorgeous.
    eyeroll
  • I have 6 tattoos and there's NO WAY I am covering them up. All are very visible. I have an anchor and wave on my collar bone/shoulder, a compass on my deltoid, a raven on a branch on my inner bicep, a heart behind my ear, a skeleton key on my wrist, and a rosary on my shoulder blade.  FI and I are actually planning on getting tattoos before the wedding, maybe as each other's wedding gifts :) I would never cover up my tattoos and I would never want FI to cover any of his for our wedding.
    Anniversary

• I do!  I love them to bits - I definitely plan on getting more (and potentially one in the summer, before the wedding).  

I have 3, currently: one on my inner left wrist (my lucky "XIII"!), one on my inner left bicep ("musica laetificat cor", or "music gladdens the heart" in Latin), and my inner right elbow (the Kokiri symbol, HELL YEAH Legend of Zelda).

My fourth, and hopefully-before-the-wedding tattoo would be a garter tattoo, around my right upper leg - no, not an actual tattoo of a garter, but a geometric design (in white ink) that wraps around my leg.  

I love tattoos and people's meaning behind them, and I wouldn't dream of covering mine up for my wedding (although they're fairly hidden anyhow - I try to strategically place mine to "fit into" nooks of my body).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • @Marzipan13 That XIII wouldn't be a KH reference, would it? I love your nerdy tattoos!

@prettybirdy27 It's a fine line to walk... you want to honor people you love and you want your tattoos to have meaning, but I definitely wouldn't want mine making me sad every day either!
    eyeroll
  • Can I ask an honest question and I don't at all mean to be snarky with this -- why did you get tattoos where you can't see them? I know other people can, but you can't. Wouldn't you want to be able to see them all the time? I've always been curious about that.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I don't have any tats but I say if your proud enough to get them then you should be proud to show them off on your wedding day :)
  • Can I ask an honest question and I don't at all mean to be snarky with this -- why did you get tattoos where you can't see them? I know other people can, but you can't. Wouldn't you want to be able to see them all the time? I've always been curious about that.
    I have a few tattoos that aren't visible all of the time, and some that are only visible depending on what I wear. My FI didn't even know I had as many until I was undressed. Quite a shock for him! I don't get tattoos for someone else to see, just for little old me. :)

Ditto. I have two that aren't visible and they were the first two that I got. I knew that I was going to end up in a career where visible tattoos are not accepted so I wanted to exercise caution, even at 19 when I got my first. I have one on my hip and one on my ribs. The two on my arms are always covered at work, despite how difficult it can be in the summertime to find blouses and dresses with sleeves long enough to cover them. While I would love to have tattoos all the way down my arms and on my lower legs, I know that it's not something that's possible in my field. When I'm not at work, you can bet that my arms are uncovered whenever possible :) So instead I now choose to get tattoos wherever they can be covered up at work but still possibly be displayed at other times.
  • @shrekspeare I LOVE YOUR TATTOOS.
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards