Wedding 911

Selling Oscar de la Renta never worn wedding dress

My wedding hasn't yet happened but we just found out we are expecting. By the time our wedding happens, I will be 4 months and showing and sadly my beautiful dress will not fit. I purchased the dress early February and they couldn't make changes when we found out.... Also they said I shouldn't be showing but everyone is different and some gain more weight than the norm!

The dress is long, size 25 waist, 35 chest and hips 36.6. It is a silk material, diamond white color. The dress is stunning!

I purchased it for $8174 but am willing to sell it for $6600. I don't even have the dress yet, they are finishing and I will get it April 1. I do have pics but would rather wait to get those to you. I'd love to hear from you if interested.

Re: Selling Oscar de la Renta never worn wedding dress

• I would post this in the Classifieds. Also, good luck with that price.

imageimage

• edited February 2014

Is that too much? I don't even have the dress though, the designer in NY is still working on it. I'm just trying to find someone who will love it as much as I did and whom it will fit perfectly as it use to on me.

Please let me know your thoughts as far as the price goes as I think I'm giving a generous discount too.

Thank you for responding.

• Someone who can spend $6600 on a wedding dress will probably not be interested in buying from someone else; they will go to a store and buy a new (different) dress for that price.  You should post stock pics of the dress so people know which one it is.  I would try knocking the price down to $4500-$5000.

Is the dress a mermaid?  If not, why not wait and see if it fits for your wedding before selling it?  (Of course have a back up option).
  • I agree with @CrazyCatLady3. I mean, it's not even 20%. It seems worth it to just pay that tiny bit extra and get a brand new dress.

But maybe I'm just not your target buyer.
  • edited February 2014
    I think that's an insane sum to spend on a dress at all, let alone a second-hand one.

Try TK classifieds, try oncewed and other pre-owned sites.

GL -- and congrats on the baby!!

ETF typing fail.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Yea, I agree with PPs. That isnt even 20% off. I could go buy that exact same dress (in my exact size) at a truck show for a bigger discount.

Also, is this your first baby? If so, you might not have as big of a bump as you think by 4 months. So the dress might still fit.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not asking for you guys to comment on what I spent on the dress!!!  I'm letting people know what the cost was and what the dress looks like...... if you are interested comment; otherwise don't waste your time.  Sorry.  It is about 15% savings and that is a lot of savings --- $1500 or so in savings; that's a lot.
  • Thank you to those who commented on the baby.  I appreciate it.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I'm not asking for you guys to comment on what I spent on the dress!!!  I'm letting people know what the cost was and what the dress looks like...... if you are interested comment; otherwise don't waste your time.  Sorry.  It is about 15% savings and that is a lot of savings --- $1500 or so in savings; that's a lot.

You are going to need to develop tougher (is that a word?) skin if you plan to hang around these boards.

It doesnt matter if you think 15% or $1500 off is a lot of money. What matters is how much people will actually pay for a used dress. And again, people who can afford 5-10k on a dress would probably buy it straight from the store. I know I would.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure several of us on this thread spent around that amount on our dresses.  I did, and was commenting from that perspective to give you insight to help sell the dress.
  • I'm pretty sure several of us on this thread spent around that amount on our dresses.  I did, and was commenting from that perspective to give you insight to help sell the dress.

Yup, I did.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How much was the deposit ? would you be better off leaving it at the store? Congrats on the baby.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• You're right...... But the one thing is which you said"used" wedding dress, I state never been worn! The designer still is working on the dress. I'd love to return it but the store doesn't allow that..... It is nonreturnable. I wasn't trying to be ugly nor did I get offended, it's just as I stated 'NEVER BEEN WORN' I'd think any bride as we all spend money on our wedding could see where I'm coming from. Thank you and I do appreciate all of the responses. The deposit was 4500.
  • You're right...... But the one thing is which you said"used" wedding dress, I state never been worn! The designer still is working on the dress. I'd love to return it but the store doesn't allow that..... It is nonreturnable. I wasn't trying to be ugly nor did I get offended, it's just as I stated 'NEVER BEEN WORN' I'd think any bride as we all spend money on our wedding could see where I'm coming from. Thank you and I do appreciate all of the responses. The deposit was 4500.
    It may not ever have been worn, but it's still second-hand, because it wasn't bought by the bride who's going to be wearing it specifically. 

I'm sorry if we offended you, but @KatWAG is right; you're going to have to get a MUCH thicker skin if you're going to be on those boards.

If someone has that kind of money to drop on a wedding dress (and, btw, your wedding dress cost more than my entire wedding), they're probably going to (a) want more substantial savings than 15% and (b) want a dress MADE FOR THEM that they can alter and specify it to their tastes.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Again, as I said NOR was I offended..... Meaning you didn't offend me.
  • I guess I should have explained "used" better. To me, any dress is used if its not purchased, by me, at the store. If I wanted to spend that kind of money, why would i buy a dress that is made to fit you and not me?

Again, I could get a better deal at a truck show.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Great; so do so!
  • Great; so do so!
    Would you relax? They are trying to HELP you sell you your dress. They aren't providing commentary just for the sake of commenting. They are honestly trying to help you. 

And I agree with them. I also think you're never going to sell this without a picture and/or a style number. 
  • Ditto PPs. And I don't understand what you're getting so testy about.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited February 2014
    I would check around on some websites and see if dresses are selling at that price. The difficult thing about selling a dress in that price range is people are often willing to pay more to have it in their size and to get it from a B&M store they can go to for help, alterations and piece of mind.

If your dress was discontinued I think you would have a better chance of reselling it, bc you couldn't go and order on at the store. 

Are you sure you'll be showing to the point that you can't wear the dress? I know women who really don't show at 4 months. If you are showing but it still fits I think you should go for it and will look great. Otherwise I would strongly consider abandoning the dress at the shop and forfeiting my deposit. I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to sell it for more than the $3674 plus tax I would have to pay to take it home. I hate to say it, but I think you will have a hard time selling such an expensive dress.

GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    As someone who has bought more designer items then she should… Half the fun is buying it straight from the store and having it be 100% yours.

You have to discount the item enough to compensate for that loss of experience. You're not simply selling a never worn wedding gown, you're wearing a second hand designer gown. And 15% just isn't enough for me (but as I said, I may not be the target buyer). I get that you want to recoup as much of your investment as you can, but I honestly think you're being a little unreasonable with your expectations.

I'd recommend checking out sites that re-sell wedding gowns (maybe even a consignment shop, there are many that focus on designer goods!). You could even just contact them and ask for their advice on pricing and see how much their items are discounted from the original price.

Also, if you have pics or style numbers, you want to be sure to include those in your postings. You will get far fewer interested responders if they have no idea what they are really responding to. It's much easier for them to just click away from your ad and onto someone else's than to waste the time risking you selling something that is 100% not what they want.
  • So i know this is a little late but i would hang onto the dress and try it on later. With a talented seamstress you can also get the dress to fit pretty alright with some alterations. I am roughly 4 months pregnant now and I honestly look like I've gained a few pounds.
  • I would wait. I've now had 2 different friends (both different builds and heights, but both very trim and skinny young women) get pregnant and effectively "hide" their pregnancies until 4 months and beyond. Literally, one of them was at my engagement party while 4 months pregnant, and I had absolutely no idea. We even hugged, and I noticed nothing.

You're right - you MAY not fit. But you also might, especially if it's an a-line dress or has an empire waist (you never said what it looks like). Don't give up on the dress of your dreams! Get some spanx, eat well, and see if you can do it. :) 

Final note, I agree with most of the above. $1500 off is still probably not enough to sell it second-hand, even unworn. There are plenty of sites that buy wedding dresses and sell them for you, though. 
    "Marriage: The roots are deep. The covenant is solid. Life is hard. Love is sweet, and God is good."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards