Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal magazine fails.

And we wonder why we have such an entitled society. Example 1: (posted on theknot 911 app from another user) they have fake registries now that make it look like you want actual stuff but you receive cash and supposedly your guests are none the wiser. I personally think this is equal to honeymoon registries and find it appalling. She found an article in a bridal magazine that listed that and 2 other ways to get cash. The other two ways? Put your bank account # on your invites or include an empty envelope with the invites so they can return it with money. Sick. Example 2: 69% of brides purchase jewelry as their bridesmaids gift! much like the generic bracelet pictured. Example 3: 79% make their groomsman wear "fun" matching socks. Eye roll. Example 4: a Q&A section with a dj. She says "it's fine to tell your vendors what to wear. I adhere to the same dress code as the guests." Great except guests shouldn't have a dress code. Ok none of those (except the registry gem) are the most terrible faux pas. But a magazine filled with this trash just inflates selfish brides' egos that much more. End rant.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

Re: Bridal magazine fails.

• Options
    Damn 2 pictures didn't upload.

• Options
    The faux registry is pretty terrible.

I can't imagine putting my bank account number on, anything, let alone a fucking invite.

Anniversary
  • Options
    acove2006 said:
    And we wonder why we have such an entitled society. Example 1: (posted on theknot 911 app from another user) they have fake registries now that make it look like you want actual stuff but you receive cash and supposedly your guests are none the wiser. I personally think this is equal to honeymoon registries and find it appalling. She found an article in a bridal magazine that listed that and 2 other ways to get cash. The other two ways? Put your bank account # on your invites or include an empty envelope with the invites so they can return it with money. Sick. Example 2: 69% of brides purchase jewelry as their bridesmaids gift! much like the generic bracelet pictured. Example 3: 79% make their groomsman wear "fun" matching socks. Eye roll. Example 4: a Q&A section with a dj. She says "it's fine to tell your vendors what to wear. I adhere to the same dress code as the guests." Great except guests shouldn't have a dress code. Ok none of those (except the registry gem) are the most terrible faux pas. But a magazine filled with this trash just inflates selfish brides' egos that much more. End rant.

• Options
    Sorry! I guess my reply didn't paste with the quote. Just wanted to chime in and say I've seen the bank account number done (on a website, not an invite, but still), along with a small registry and a note that said something like, "We have some things at Pottery Barn, but what we could "really" use is some cash for our honeymoon in Europe!" IMO, that's almost worse than not registering at all while asking for cash. (Hey, we're registering to make people happy, but we won't appreciate these gifts as much as we'd appreciate cash.) 

No surprise that FI and I did not receive a thank you note--even though we gave them the cash gift they "really" wanted.
  • Options
    UGGGHHH.

I've posted about this before, but I read an article in either Brides or TK by a wife who married her husband a year before their "real" wedding for insurance reasons, hid it from everyone including their parents, and then had a PPD a year later.  She wrote about how they got to "test drive" the marriage and "ease into it."  And recommended everyone have a year of "practice marriage" before "the real thing."

Barf.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    UGGGHHH.

I've posted about this before, but I read an article in either Brides or TK by a wife who married her husband a year before their "real" wedding for insurance reasons, hid it from everyone including their parents, and then had a PPD a year later.  She wrote about how they got to "test drive" the marriage and "ease into it."  And recommended everyone have a year of "practice marriage" before "the real thing."

Barf.

That is horrible.  I mena can't you just live together for a year first?  It's almost exactly the same except there is no lying about your marital status.

i can't believe that these fake registries exist...people are the worst.

• Options
    UGGGHHH.

Barf.
    It was Brides I believe. I remember that issue and rolled my eyes at it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    acove2006 said:
    I think this is referring to the new Zola registry.  It's not really fake--once a guest buys an item they notify you and they give you the choice to get the actual item or the monetary value of the item.  But yeah, it's still gross.  When they were beta testing I was invited to join but once I saw how it worked I declined.
  • Options
    @CrazyCatLady3 I guess that's kind of in line with returning a gift you didn't particularly want or need, and getting the cash instead... but generally you register for things you DO want/need...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    UGGGHHH.

Barf.

I almost thought there was another article like that in the current issue. It started out with how a married couple of 5 years had to tell her mother they weren't really married. Thankfully it wasn't a ppd story. Apparently their officiant never filed their marriage certificate so there was no record of their marriage. Had they still lived in CA it would have been an easy fix but they now lived in New York and had to get married again. Which they did in a simple courthouse ceremony. Though I bet certain wives would take this as a green light to have a redo.

• Options
    I don't see what's wrong with 2, 3, and 4. 2- plenty of girls like jewelry. You're assuming that was the ONLY gift given to the bridesmaids and that it wasn't personalized jewelry that each girl would like. 3- I can't see anything wrong with this. At all. 4- it's pretty silly to think the dj literally meant "dress code".

Of course you're going to find things to complain about if you're looking for them.
  • Options
    We don't know if the jewelry is meant to be worn as a part of their day-of wardrobe or not, so it's impossible to know whether or not that's an etiquette faux pas. I think jewelry can be a great gift so long as it's given in accordance with the person's taste and has no expectations attached. 
  • Options

I don't see what's wrong with 2, 3, and 4. 2- plenty of girls like jewelry. You're assuming that was the ONLY gift given to the bridesmaids and that it wasn't personalized jewelry that each girl would like. 3- I can't see anything wrong with this. At all. 4- it's pretty silly to think the dj literally meant "dress code".

Of course you're going to find things to complain about if you're looking for them.

I got jewelry for two of my bridesmaids so far. They are different pieces, but both are sterling silver with diamonds. They look like things these girls would wear and like. Maybe I'm not original enough to do something else, but I think jewelry is a great gift for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Jewelry is a great gift. When it's not meant to be part of their uniform. I even said those ones weren't that bad, but things like that do add tot the entitled braid complex. " oh look brides said a bracelet is a perfect bridesmaids gift and most brides do it! So I'm gonna get them each a generic gold bracelet because it'll match their dresses perfectly!" It's a silly vent. I think you're the one getting too worked up.

• Options
    tcnoble said:
    @CrazyCatLady3 I guess that's kind of in line with returning a gift you didn't particularly want or need, and getting the cash instead... but generally you register for things you DO want/need...
    Unfortunately, I know someone getting married who flat out told me they plan to register for expensive things, get them as wedding gifts, then return them for cash.  It disgusts me so I've been shopping for the perfect wedding gift in this situation.  The 4 foot tall metal lawn chicken.
    I never understand this logic. Most stores, if not all, will give you store credit instead of cash.
  • Options
    tcnoble said:
    Unfortunately, I know someone getting married who flat out told me they plan to register for expensive things, get them as wedding gifts, then return them for cash.  It disgusts me so I've been shopping for the perfect wedding gift in this situation.  The 4 foot tall metal lawn chicken.
    EW! That's awful!  Whatever you get make sure you get it engraved/embroidered so that it's not returnable!  So definitely make sure you get that metal lawn chicken labeled!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    NYCBruin said:
    tcnoble said:
    EW! That's awful!  Whatever you get make sure you get it engraved/embroidered so that it's not returnable!  So definitely make sure you get that metal lawn chicken labeled!
    I'm thinking maybe I'll just make it myself.
  • Options
    tcnoble said:

That's terrible. Seriously, why don't they just skip registering? Oh that's right, registering for pricey things means they'll get more money than they'd give in a check. Idiots.

• Options
    Skimmed an article in a bridal magazine today about having a "Promise celebration". Essentially a PPD before the wedding with all the key features including a ceremony where you promise to be committed to your partner without the legal bits. The actual wedding comes later down the road if you're still interested. Wth? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Does it come with a 30 day money back guarantee?

• Options
    tcnoble said:
    I never understand this logic. Most stores, if not all, will give you store credit instead of cash.
    That is exactly what I thought.  

Perhaps they think they are too special to be subject to store policies?  Or they just haven't ever worked retail, and it's going to be hilarious when they find out they are not getting cash monies back, just a gift card.

Wait.. if they would just get a gift card, would they repurchase the same stuff?  Would they return it and get more, smaller items?  They clearly did not think that plan out well, so the joke is on them.  That is what you get for being an asshat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tcnoble said:
    That is exactly what I thought.  

Perhaps they think they are too special to be subject to store policies?  Or they just haven't ever worked retail, and it's going to be hilarious when they find out they are not getting cash monies back, just a gift card.

Wait.. if they would just get a gift card, would they repurchase the same stuff?  Would they return it and get more, smaller items?  They clearly did not think that plan out well, so the joke is on them.  That is what you get for being an asshat.
    I don't think they've put that much thought into it.  Of course they had registries (3) up and going before they'd even told all their family members they were engaged so...
  • Options
    tcnoble said:
    Right.  I don't see how this works.  I don't know any stores that will give you cash back for returning a gift.  This Zola thing is unique in that respect because they ask you before they actually ship the item if you want the item or cash instead.
  • Options
    tcnoble said:
    Right.  I don't see how this works.  I don't know any stores that will give you cash back for returning a gift.  This Zola thing is unique in that respect because they ask you before they actually ship the item if you want the item or cash instead.
    I've seen it if you have the actual receipt and it was originally purchased with cash.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    tcnoble said:
    I've seen it if you have the actual receipt and it was originally purchased with cash.  
    But most people give gift receipts and they only give store credit.

Anniversary
  • Options
    How can you feel good writing thank you notes for gifts, knowing you're just going to cash them in?!
  • Options
    Mitch617 said:
    How can you feel good writing thank you notes for gifts, knowing you're just going to cash them in?!
    I assume anyone rude enough to do this probably won't send thank you notes.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards