Wedding Etiquette Forum

Can I wear this patterned white dress to a wedding?

I will be attending my friend's evening beach wedding this summer. I recently purchased this dress thinking that it was perfect for the occasion, but my husband thinks that it's too white to wear as a guest to a wedding. It's ivory with a gold pattern all over it. The bride will be wearing a long strapless lace gown, so it's certainly not similar to what she will be wearing. Is this dress appropriate for a wedding guest? Help!

Re: Can I wear this patterned white dress to a wedding?

• While I wouldn't side eye it myself, I could maybe see how people who hold to the "no white as a wedding guest" rule could. It's so pretty, though! Where'd you get it, I want it for my rehearsal!
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I wouldn't but really you can wear whatever you want.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe you could accessorize it with a wrap that's more gold or something to push it more towards gold and less toward white? 
  • Yes, where did you get it? It's beautiful. I probably wouldn't care if you wore it to my wedding, but it's sort of borderline.

• I wouldn't. It's too close to white for my comfort, but that's me.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I would rule it out if it were me. Usually when I question/doubt things it means I should go another way so I don't step on anyone toes...or at least not in a belligerent manner. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    No way would I wear that dress to someone's wedding.  It is too white.
    ETA  I would side-eye a guest for wearing it to someone else's wedding.
  • phira said:
    You should send it to me, just to avoid temptation.
    No me! :)

• SP29SP29 member
    That is a beautiful dress!

However, I feel it is very "bridal" (as an OP above asked if she could wear it to her rehearsal- that is exactly what I thought- this is a dress a bride would wear to a pre-wedding event), even the gold design makes it look that way.

I hope you can wear it somewhere else, because it really is quite lovely! 
  • Yep, it's beautiful but I think it's too close to white.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• No way I'd wear it and I would absolutely side - eye someone who did. Way to white and embellished.
  • No way I'd wear it and I would absolutely side - eye someone who did. Way too white and embellished.
    Ditto. It IS gorgeous, though. I'd save it for a party or some other special occasion.
  • It's beautiful. I wouldn't care if somebody wore it to my wedding, but you really have to know the bride and how she would feel about it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • edited March 2014
    Nope, I wouldn't.  It's too bride-y, not suitable for a guest, imo.
  • I wouldn't wear it...but I absolutely want it. Please tell us where you got it!
  • wow beautiful dress! You mentioned it's on a beach, is it a DW? Is there another opportunity to wear this dress on that trip? If hubs thinks it's a bad idea, imagine what other women will think?!

Anniversary
  • I think it's gorgeous, and I wouldn't care if you wore it to my wedding.  But many ppl here will tell you that you can't wear white to a wedding and that they would judge you for wearing it. 

You just have to decide how many fucks you give as to what other people think ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thanks ladies. I've decided to not wear it to the wedding... and save it for another occasion. Some of you asked where I got it... its a Sue Wong that I got super cheap this week on bluefly.com.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm just chiming in to say I LOVE SUE WONG!  I bought one of the full-length gowns to wear as my wedding dress.  There is a full-length version of that dress from a couple seasons back that I was dying to have as my actual wedding dress, but alas, I wasn't engaged back then. 

The beadwork on Sue Wong gowns can rival any bridal gown from a traditional wedding shop and save boatloads of money, as those dresses are more in the $500-$800 range. 

So... yeah, glad you decided not to wear it as it's rather too wedding-y. 

Edit: spelling

• Would be perfect for rehearsal dinner or small family wedding under 35 people.
  • Darn, no more size 6, and would be too afraid to try to squeeze into a 4.

•    You can wear it to my wedding and I wouldn't be bothered by it at all! I'd probably wear it too and not notice the side-eyes, but I can be clue-less like that and figure as long as it's not an all-white dress it's okay.  After reading this thread I know better. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    I wouldn't have side-eyed you wearing that dress at my wedding, nor would I be bothered by you wearing it at someone else's. But majority rules, and most PP's say no, so it's wise you're going that route.
    Beautiful dress though!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards