Snarky Brides

Themes - how far is too far?

Re: Themes - how far is too far?

• MrsAitch said:

David Tutera makes me want to murder.

I can't even stand it when people say "What are your colors??????" as if it fucking matters.  I'm in the minority, I know, but seriously I just don't think about it that way.

Like, no one asked me what colors I was decorating with for my big Christmas party - why the hell for my wedding?  How about "whatever colors I decide I like and buy stuff in?"

Themes are dumb, I dislike them and do not have one. 

/endbitterrant

PS my colors are "Blood of my enemies" and "rage"

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
    This is my new siggy once I can figure out how to add it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Too over the top:

The one in the Sleeping Beauty costume does not look happy.  And they are all wearing flip flops? Seriously?

• Inkdancer said:
    MrsAitch said:

I can't even stand it when people say "What are your colors??????" as if it fucking matters.  I'm in the minority, I know, but seriously I just don't think about it that way.

Like, no one asked me what colors I was decorating with for my big Christmas party - why the hell for my wedding?  How about "whatever colors I decide I like and buy stuff in?"

/endbitterrant
    I agree--I feel like a weirdo, but the "what are your colors" question drives me crazy! Why do I even have to have "colors"? I just picked navy for the bridesmaids dresses because it's pretty, classic, and flatters all skin tones and I like pastel flowers so that's what we're having. I guess I did end up with navy type on the invitations and probably a couple of other navy touches, but I refuse to have a specified color scheme.

Themes are even worse. If anyone asks my theme, I say "wedding." I was in a sorority in college and one year the recruitment chair wanted all of the rooms to have a theme. Some girls had "coach purses" or "victoria's secret" or "football" or "travel" or "Paris" or whatever. When she asked our theme my roommates and I said "our theme is 'cute.'" She wasn't so amused, but we thought we were hilarious. And that's what wedding themes make me think of--sorority recruitment. That's also how I feel about matchy-matchy bridesmaids and requiring everyone to wear the same color shoes or jewelry. It makes me think of doing chants and staying up half the night hanging tulle and christmas lights...ok so maybe in some ways, weddings and sorority recruitment have a lot in common.
    I also hate the "what are your colors" question. I'm an illustrator, so I've also been getting alot of "why didn't you make your own invites and hand-painted wall mural and favors etc etc"

Ummmm.... how about because I don't freaking have the time! I bought template cards.
    Go ahead and judge me. They are PLAIN. I like them. Whatever. It's just an invitation.

I feel you on the bolded. I'm an event planner, so everyone says "oh this must be so easy for you!" Um... no, doing my work at work and then again at home is neither easy nor fun. And I plan corporate events, which is not like a wedding at all!

I get the comments about it being so easy because I'man event planner. Everyone assumes that it will be easy but weddings = different from kids events and that was my concentration in school.

• I just break out "You've seen what I wear for cosplay. Do you REALLY want me to break out a theme?" But, then again. I've got 21 months to train a Dalek. Or find hallucinogen lipstick. Maybe I do want a theme.
    I have an intense nerdcrush on you now.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    MrsAitch said:

/endbitterrant
    I agree--I feel like a weirdo, but the "what are your colors" question drives me crazy! Why do I even have to have "colors"? I just picked navy for the bridesmaids dresses because it's pretty, classic, and flatters all skin tones and I like pastel flowers so that's what we're having. I guess I did end up with navy type on the invitations and probably a couple of other navy touches, but I refuse to have a specified color scheme.

Themes are even worse. If anyone asks my theme, I say "wedding." I was in a sorority in college and one year the recruitment chair wanted all of the rooms to have a theme. Some girls had "coach purses" or "victoria's secret" or "football" or "travel" or "Paris" or whatever. When she asked our theme my roommates and I said "our theme is 'cute.'" She wasn't so amused, but we thought we were hilarious. And that's what wedding themes make me think of--sorority recruitment. That's also how I feel about matchy-matchy bridesmaids and requiring everyone to wear the same color shoes or jewelry. It makes me think of doing chants and staying up half the night hanging tulle and christmas lights...ok so maybe in some ways, weddings and sorority recruitment have a lot in common.
    I also hate the "what are your colors" question. I'm an illustrator, so I've also been getting alot of "why didn't you make your own invites and hand-painted wall mural and favors etc etc"

Ummmm.... how about because I don't freaking have the time! I bought template cards.
    Go ahead and judge me. They are PLAIN. I like them. Whatever. It's just an invitation.

I feel you on the bolded. I'm an event planner, so everyone says "oh this must be so easy for you!" Um... no, doing my work at work and then again at home is neither easy nor fun. And I plan corporate events, which is not like a wedding at all!
    I am also a corporate event planner and people said the same thing to me!  On one had it was easy because I was not intimidated by negotiating with vendors and dealing with contracts, but on the other hand I had a lot of (mostly) self imposed pressure to throw a kick ass party because everyone knows what I do for a living.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Inkdancer said:

I just break out "You've seen what I wear for cosplay. Do you REALLY want me to break out a theme?"

But, then again. I've got 21 months to train a Dalek. Or find hallucinogen lipstick. Maybe I do want a theme.

I have an intense nerdcrush on you now.

Aww, thanks!

Actually, I was debating the merits of training a Dalek when DF got home. He's now wearing a fez for first peek pictures. Dang. I really do have a theme.

• The only instance when having the bridesmaids wear costumes might be cool/appropriate is if they normally cosplay together. If, say, they all recently went together to comicon or something dressed as princesses of their choice, it might be a fun thing to let them wear their costumes for the wedding. I should also note, that those costumes are badly made and look awful and cheapo, whereas these are amazing.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/080/b/f/disney_princesses_by_nikitacosplay-d4tgg0d.jpg
    Exactly. If a bride were to tell me to wear a princess dress, I'd be saying, "Already got one!" No way in hell am I wearing cheap Chinese polyester when I have a handmade beaded silk corseted ballgown and a petticoat with 6 yards of hand-tatted lace. :D I'm willing to admit the lace was totally overkill since it doesn't show but I got obsessed after reading an interview with Emilie De Ravin talking about how even her petticoats on Once Upon A Time were super detailed.
  • Too over the top:

I must be in the minority here because I'd love to be a bridesmaid in that wedding! 
    I would love to be a bridesmaid in that wedding, but I wouldn't want to be the bride!
  • Yeah, the dresses are very poorly made and the flip flops aren't cute, I will say that. I just love Disney and dressing up, so this would be a dream come true. I hope she at least let her bridesmaids pick what princess they got to be. Ariel is my favorite, but I love all the others so I'd have no problem being Pocahontas, Jasmine, or Mulan. 

If I were truly Disney obsessed, I could still never do this because there would be a brawl over who got to be Belle. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Amyzen83 said:
    When you start telling your guests how to dress
    A-FREAKING-MEN.
    eyeroll
  • I'd say whatever you're comfortable with - outside of the whole making guests dress certain ways or do anything uncomfortable.

Our theme is well, us. We've started tying together a lot of our favorite things, from colors, to the season and it's accent to the day, our favorite liquor to the costume party the night before on Halloween. Because it's all subtle hints - everything will flow together pretty well. 
  • abbyj700 said:
    I'd say whatever you're comfortable with - outside of the whole making guests dress certain ways or do anything uncomfortable.

Our theme is well, us. We've started tying together a lot of our favorite things, from colors, to the season and it's accent to the day, our favorite liquor to the costume party the night before on Halloween. Because it's all subtle hints - everything will flow together pretty well. 
    I think "stuff we like" is a totally awesome theme! As long as it mostly matches. If stuff you like is Virginia Tech Hokies gear and also blue willow china, you should probably pick one or the other to show off at your wedding.
    eyeroll
  • Our theme is us too! I think that's a wonderful way to put it!
  • lkristenjlkristenj member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Lolo8383 said:
    Ugh. I hate themes. Our theme is "wedding." Decorations within a certain motif or "vibe" aren't a theme, they're just things that coordinate because things should coordinate. And any theme you get off Pinterest that has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE (I'm looking at you, "rustic/shabby chic" girls who've never stepped foot in dirt or canned a damn thing in your life) make me want to punch penguins. AND I LOVE PENGUINS.

Our cake decorator asked what our theme was. I just stared at her blankly for a minute and said "um. The bridesmaid dresses are aqua. And my dress is lace. And, uh, some... roses... in mercury glass vases?" I think she thought I was special.

I'm doing the rustic thing. It makes me sad that it's so big right now, because it does fit me and Fi so well. I think I can pull it off because I have horses and cows and I've always helped my dad work the animals on our small ranch. Fi was born and raised in the city, but desperately wants to escape to the country. He tells me nearly daily about another animal he wants to keep when we get land. Bees, chickens, alpaca, sheep... He also homebrews and we're having our reception in a brewery, so having things a little rustic works with the 100-year-old brick building. I don't need justification to have the look I like, but at least I am a country girl. I really wish it wasn't as popular and "in" because then I wouldn't feel like just one of the fad. I would have liked it if it was popular or not.

ETA: Yes, we can stuff too. I have so many jars of strawberry vinaigrette jam right now it's crazy. And pickled carrots. And homemade mustard. We've also done our own beeswax candles. I really think my FI and I belong in a different time/place than in one of the largest cities in the country.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• lkristenj said:
    Lolo8383 said:
    Ugh. I hate themes. Our theme is "wedding." Decorations within a certain motif or "vibe" aren't a theme, they're just things that coordinate because things should coordinate. And any theme you get off Pinterest that has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE (I'm looking at you, "rustic/shabby chic" girls who've never stepped foot in dirt or canned a damn thing in your life) make me want to punch penguins. AND I LOVE PENGUINS.

Our cake decorator asked what our theme was. I just stared at her blankly for a minute and said "um. The bridesmaid dresses are aqua. And my dress is lace. And, uh, some... roses... in mercury glass vases?" I think she thought I was special.

I'm doing the rustic thing. It makes me sad that it's so big right now, because it does fit me and Fi so well. I think I can pull it off because I have horses and cows and I've always helped my dad work the animals on our small ranch. Fi was born and raised in the city, but desperately wants to escape to the country. He tells me nearly daily about another animal he wants to keep when we get land. Bees, chickens, alpaca, sheep... He also homebrews and we're having our reception in a brewery, so having things a little rustic works with the 100-year-old brick building. I don't need justification to have the look I like, but at least I am a country girl. I really wish it wasn't as popular and "in" because then I wouldn't feel like just one of the fad. I would have liked it if it was popular or not.

ETA: Yes, we can stuff too. I have so many jars of strawberry vinaigrette jam right now it's crazy. And pickled carrots. And homemade mustard. We've also done our own beeswax candles. I really think my FI and I belong in a different time/place than in one of the largest cities in the country.

Off topic but I must ask: what on earth do pickled carrots taste like?
    eyeroll
  • kitsunegari89kitsunegari89 member
    edited March 2014
    AprilH81 said:
    Inkdancer said:
    MrsAitch said:

/endbitterrant

I am also a corporate event planner and people said the same thing to me!  On one had it was easy because I was not intimidated by negotiating with vendors and dealing with contracts, but on the other hand I had a lot of (mostly) self imposed pressure to throw a kick ass party because everyone knows what I do for a living.

lkristenj said:
    Lolo8383 said:

If you grew up on a farm, I think you're safe doing a rustic wedding. We're talking about urbanites that get their nails done on the reg and hate dirt having a "rustic" wedding, which is silly. It's like Marie Antoinette and her pretend mini-farm. True story I went to a wedding where there were sheep wearing ribbons that were wandering around. The bride has never been to a farm. *facepalm*
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

• MrsAitch said:

/endbitterrant

This is my new siggy once I can figure out how to add it.
    I'm so sorry, but I beat you to it friendo. It fits me so well :P

<3
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

• Inkdancer said: 

Off topic but I must ask: what on earth do pickled carrots taste like?
    Dill, mostly. They're semi-soft carrots (as if they have been steamed) and they taste like the fresh dill we added to the pickling solution. My mom loves them. I think they're "too dill". Oh well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• jules3964jules3964 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    When I was searching for a photographer I encountered several versions of the "zombie" theme wedding. Is this seriously a thing people do? Typically the photos start out with the couple all happy and getting married. Then random guests dressed up like zombies sneak up on them and attack. The whole thing looks incredibly staged, which is why I'm still not sure if people actually do this, or if the photographers are trying to show off and get attention with some idea they have.

I keep imagining what it would be like to be a guest at the wedding, with the bride & groom suggesting/insisting that people show up dressed in their zombie outfits. Gross.
  • lkristenj said:
    Lolo8383 said:

I felt the same way with my "vintage" theme. Every fucking body it seems is doing vintage now. But, I actually collect milk glass (and carnival glass!) I grew up going to antique sales and flea markets, I LOVE OLD CRAP.

We don't really have a cohesive "theme" anymore, we have some vintage, some steampunk, some videogames, some Doctor Who, and board games scattered through our day. It's going to be a big, wibbly wobbly, nerdy werdy ball of stuff. But it will be us. :)

Anniversary
  • jules3964 said:
    When I was searching for a photographer I encountered several versions of the "zombie" theme wedding. Is this seriously a thing people do? Typically the photos start out with the couple all happy and getting married. Then random guests dressed up like zombies sneak up on them and attack. The whole thing looks incredibly staged, which is why I'm still not sure if people actually do this, or if the photographers are trying to show off and get attention with some idea they have.

I keep imagining what it would be like to be a guest at the wedding, with the bride & groom suggesting/insisting that people show up dressed in their zombie outfits. Gross.
    I've seen this as an engagement shoot, but never a wedding.

At least one of my friends has done the Photoshopped wedding picture of them running away from a T. rex, though.
  • lkristenjlkristenj member
    edited March 2014
    jules3964 said:

I actually saw one on a tv show once. I think it was "Naked Vegas". They do airbrush body paint. Not only did this bride and groom (and the whole wedding party) have their clothes painted on, they were also zombies. And the bride's veil dripped blood. I think the only place a naked zombie wedding wouldn't get weird looks is in Vegas.

ETF autocorrect  fail (bride is not horse)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jules3964 said:

I got married in my very Halloween oriented city at the beginning of October and our processional from church to reception was intersected by the annual zombie walk.  There was also a zombie Teletubby that kept hanging outside the reception venue.  My photographer got a few pictures.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards