Wedding Woes
Options

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! *edited*

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited March 2014 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudie,
Several years ago I dated a woman named “Rhonda” for three months. I broke up with her after her sister “Amy” revealed to me that Rhonda was born “Ron” and showed me ample evidence. When I confronted Rhonda about her being a transsexual woman, she broke down and confessed that she was going to tell me, but only after we had been intimate! (Luckily we hadn’t been yet.) It wasn’t her transsexuality that ended the relationship, but her deception; I am not a transphobic person. Rhonda took the breakup badly and stopped speaking to Amy, and on top of that their parents took Rhonda’s side and accused Amy of trying to ruin Rhonda’s life out of jealousy. Later, Amy and I began dating and eventually married. Her parents refused to attend the wedding as a show of solidarity with Rhonda, despite Amy’s attempts to reconcile with all of them. Now we are expecting our first child and Amy’s parents have expressed tentative interest in being a part of their grandchild’s life. I, however, want these people to have nothing to do with my child or my wife. They are a toxic influence and their enabling of Rhonda’s deceptive behavior is appalling to me. My wife disagrees. How can I help her cut ties with these horrid people?

—Trying to Protect My Family

Re: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! *edited*

• Options
    That's a mess of crazy. Amy marries the guy that her transsexual sister dated. This sounds like an episode of Maury.
  • Options
    More than four women in the world. Cis or trans.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think dating siblings is squicky.  It hardly ever goes well.  Someone is always butthurt (and usually rightfully so, IMO) and it's very 4 women/men in the world.  Expand your dating pool.  
  • Options
    Yes, I know it's hard out here and all. But, really?
  • Options
    My mom *always* told us (mostly joking) that we could not share boyfriends.  She didn't want to deal with it.  

Luckily, the three of us have vastly differing taste in men. 
  • Options
    Nothing makes me more angry than cisgendered assholes getting all butthurt and calling transwomen 'traps'.

• Options
    The fuck he isn't transphobic!  Good for the parents for sticking by Rhonda.  This man and his wife are the horrid people, and I hope that's the answer he got.
  • Options

she broke down and confessed that she was going to tell me, but only after we had been intimate!

Now, I will say that this needs to be a convo had fairly soon. I'm sure that's a really hard conversation to have, but you have to be upfront with people. I can't defend the other craziness. I don't think that it was Amy's place to tell the dude about her sister. She should have encouraged Rhonda to share that info before the relationship got too deep.

• Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2014
    I disagree. The level of violence against trans*, especially transwomen is astoundingly high and most of it comes from straight men feeling threatened.  I completely 100% understand the need to "pass".

As long as she doesn't have any sort of STD, why does "I used to have a penis" need to come up at all?  You can still share number of partners and STD status w/out sharing that.  As well as the fact that most trans* never identified as their genitals.  Now, the letter is written by someone who obviously doesn't know shit about trans* b/c it isn't specific about Rhonda's status. I get if Rhonda still had her penis, needing to have that conversation.  But if she's fully transitioned SHE IS A WOMAN (really, even not fully transitioned, I identify people how they want to be identified, not all trans* want to transition).  She does NOT need to discuss her previous genital history with anyone she chooses not to. 
  • Options
    I wish I could like Varuna's response more than once, like ballot-stuffing.  If they're not trying for a baby, how is that any of his damn business other than, you know, caring about her experiences and perspective because he cares about her as a person?
  • Options
    It's also about the obsession with trans* genitals.  I'm just going to let Laverne speak for herself, b/c she dressed Katie Couric down beautifully in an amazing gentle way that I respect though I can't say I would've been able to do:

• Options
    emmyg65 said:
    I love this guy's complete lack of self-awareness. Dude, Amy violated her sister's trust, shared something that wasn't hers to share, and then STARTED DATING YOU!? None of that sounds weird?
    Nope, none of that is a thing.  Rhonda and her parents are terrible people who refuse to acknowledge that her sex and gender are really about him and his man-feelings.
  • Options
    Why exactly is that huge?  That's what I don't get.  What is there to be "cool with"?
  • Options
    They don't think they were born a different gender.  This is the difference between gender and genitals.  It also isn't about your choice.  It's their choice.  
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

"Be it the guy was in prison before, married before are whatever. Those are topics that are important and should be addressed. Being born a different gender is HUGE. Sorry, but it is for me, and I should be given the choice to decide if I'm cool with it or not."

^^This, the bolded. violence is not an option IMO. but take away the possibility that there might be violence (that may or may not happen) and rhonda still was not honest. some people do have preferences in a mate, and it has nothign to do with the obsession over someone else's genitals. i would like to know everything about my partner's genitals before we're intimate. i believe i have that right if my partner is going to know everything about mine.

• Options
    WzzWzz member
    also, i was NOT expecting the guy and amy to start a relationship together. that was my "whoa!".
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2014
    I think y'all are forgetting that most women here slept with their now husbands before they were married.  Are you really going to try and pull off that you knew everything about them, their history, and their penis and sexual history, intimately, inside and out, before you had sex?  

B/c I call BS. 
  • Options
    That was where the post title came from, Wzz.
  • Options
    I honestly don't feel like it's something that needs to be discussed, but my best friend is trans*, so I may be a little biased about that. I've had too many people ask me if it upsets me because my friend has a vagina but is male. I tell them that if they think about their friends' genitalia that much, they have a much bigger problem than I do.

• Options
    This sex vs gender thing seems to mean something that I'm not quite grasping.  How is the breadth of perspective that a person would get from being perceived and treated as one gender and then the other something that might be a dealbreaker, whereas, say, having been born into extreme poverty and now being a 1%er is not?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Y'all don't think that's huge. Ok.

I think it's huge, because it's a HUGE part of his life and story. If we get into a committed relationship, I will find out, at some point. So, I go to his grandmother's house after a year of dating I'm flipping through the family photo album and see his kindergarten picture. Grandma says, "Oh yeah, he didn't tell you."

You're saying that you wouldn't be mad that your serious boyfriend kept that piece of info from you.

V, I was under the impression that yes, in their brains they are female, and their bodies are male. So, they were born the wrong gender on the outside.

Also, it is about my choice. They want to have a relationship with me. I choose who I'm in a relationship with based on the info and feelings I have about the person. Yes, feelings can overrule information, but information plays a big part too. Doesn't it in any relationship?

• Options
    But this isn't about you being upset that he would have kept such a large and defining secret that would have let you know him better, since you said that you would need to decide early on if that was a dealbreaker.  It can't be.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member

i am assuming 2 things when i feel like this should be discussed:

1. the couple is in an exclusive and intimate relationship where sex will happen and so will the discussion of birth control.

2. the couple is planning on making a future together. whether it's through marriage or a lifetime partnership, or whatever.

so maybe it doesn't have to come up on a first or second date, but somewhere around meeting each other's families, where being serious is implied.

(I knew my husband when we were in our very early 20's, so this is not something that would have ever come up as a possibility. if i were to start dating now, at my age, there would be a whole list of things i would want to know about the guy. if it is ok to ask to see  his credit report, it should be ok to know if he was born with different genitals.)

• Options
    Sure, and it would certainly come up as trust grows.  But the "whoa - I need to know this early so I can bail!" reaction is... yeah.
  • Options
    I'm saying I would understand why. I would hope that it wouldn't have to happen.  But I'd be more pissed over hiding another GF/family/STD.

You are in a relationship b/c of that person now.  Why does what they used to have between their legs change anything about that person now?  If you're going to see them different b/c they used to have the other set of genitals, that's wrong.  It just is.  People are more than their genitals and if you need to know, to identify them by that, you are reducing them to just that.

• Options

But, y'all say that the person doesn't have to tell me anything. That it doesn't have anything to do with me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards