Snarky Brides

Am I the only one who thinks most wedding gowns are ugly?

Re: Am I the only one who thinks most wedding gowns are ugly?

• On me, strapless is a wreck because I'm full on top, so even a v neck tshirt can have excessive exposure. My MOH and best friend since I was 11 is 34GG but full on bottom so she was stunning in a strapless dress. We try on the same dress, she's well covered, I'm falling out.

Which is my reality. So winter wedding, give me sleeves, fixes the issue.

But the shredded fluff made into a blingity blinged cupcake for a skirt isn't happening.
  • I like most wedding dresses. I think my main issue is when people dont wear a style that flatters their body, dont wear the appriopriate size or its altered poorly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I saw a lot of dresses that I hated when I shopped, and I am a dress lover.  There are a lot of ugly clothes out there, for weddings and otherwise.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally HATED almost every wedding dress I tried on at normal wedding boutiques.I also think the dresses on shows like SYTTD and 4 weddins are silly looking.

I ended up buying a vintage lace dress from these lovely ladies I found on Etsy. They are local, so I was able to go to their "shop" (living room) and try ondresses. It was perfect.

What matters is not what other people think, it's that you feel beautiful in your dress, conventional or otherwise.

• I've seen very few wedding and bridesmaid gowns I actually like.  I cannot consider a strapless or spaghetti-strap dress for a number of reasons, but most wedding gowns seem to be either strapless or spaghetti-strap.  I know that that's not 100% the case but it feels that way.
  • Alikat9614Alikat9614 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I had very specific ideas on what I wanted-- straps of some kind, preferably V neck, lace, definitely not strapless or anything resembling a sweetheart neckline. I tried on 3 of this variety that looked great, and my mom on a whim wanted me to try a strapless, slight sweetheart gown. I did it to appease her and it ended up being THE one. It fit perfectly, accentuated my waist, minimized my bust, and made me feel gorgeous. I was so adamant about not liking them until it was on me. Who knew? (I also was against a veil until I had one on with last dress). Finding the proper style is key!
  • Inkdancer said:
    Yes! It's like the mess got ran through a shredder, then fell in a vat of sparkles. Puke. 1 - I am getting married in December. In a cold area. I want sleeves. 2 - Strapless on me will be me walking out the door. I don't have a strapless bra, nor can I find one. I most certainly can not go without. 3 - Anything to add curves is bad. I wear a 30HH bra. I don't NEED more. 4 - How the heck do they make all dresses look slutty? I figured it's part too small top, but geesh it apparently is supposed to put 60% of my boobs on display. It's a church service, not a metal concert festival. There are somethings I don't want to display in front of my sweet, wonderful grandparents. And I've not even gotten to the skirt. I'm about to make my own dress, if I can make various costumes and reenactment dresses, I can make a wedding dress. And what's with the vaguely to noticeably yellowy tinted whites? Is blue tinted white that impossible to find? Why can't I wear a blue dress anyway?
    I wear a 38J and found a strapless dress that looks awesome on me! But that was after a long line of dresses that made me look like a hooker.

I had the same issue.   I did NOT want strapless. I wanted either a halter or sleeves, and being a 38H, I looked totally ridiciulous in those dresses.  I should post some pictures of some of the sleeved and halter dresses I tried on.   Strapless an sweetheart actually somewhat minimized my bust. Everything else made it look like I was wearing armor.  It was awful.
  • I'm crazy jealous of you who can rock strapless. My cleavage starts about two fingers below my collarbone. Portrait, carefully done off the shoulder or carefully done square necklines are my best options.

Wrap and v neck are usually awesome, but too cleavage prone for my fussy "I'm in CHURCH!" issues.

I've actually got a reenactment based steampunked to high heavens cosplay outfit that covers without my fussy issues, isn't frump city, is easy to wear for a day (read - no special underwear, super comfortable bra and I can use the bathroom on my own) and if I start way back before I cut off most of the skirt and fussied up everything, I think it might be what I mentally want. I'm tempted to sew a muslin up, see if I actually like it. Which may be an easier, and cheaper option. I know any top will require massive alterations, if that's even possible.
  • seshat303 said:
    The vast majority of wedding dresses don't fit my personal taste At All.  I don't like strapless and I HATE sparkles.  I'd tell the consultants at the salons "no sparkle" and they'd come back with "this one just has a little bit of sparkle..."  It was like being in the Monty Python Spam sketch.  I can do a pretty good pepper-pot voice, but I held back because I think people would have thought I was a little deranged.

That being said, I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where the bride wore and ugly-for-her dress.  My MOH has polar opposite taste so when she got married her dress was sparkly! poofy! strapless! pickups!  ...everything I don't like.  But you know what?  She looked gorgeous because it did fit her personality and style very well. Some of the stuff on SYTTD can be pretty horrific though (I'm looking at you Pnina! If your gown requires a wax there's something wrong).
    I'm laughing so hard right now! That's awesome.
  • I went in to my appointment thinking I had picked the perfect dress online and picked the boutique because they carried Watters gowns.  I looked awful in it and ended up in a beautiful silk Lea-Ann Belter with a detachable train.  I'm a true hour glass (34D with a 25 inch waist and 38 inch hips) and was terrified of how it would come out when they told me I was getting a 10.  Turns out the whole thing was custom made including lengthening the torso (I'm 5'11") to make sure my chest was covered (it's a modified sweetheart) without putting the waist at some weird level

The seamstress threw in a couple darts in the back and sewed in my backless strapless bra (Wacoal has some awesome ones) so I'm secure and completely covered without any cleavage showing.  And the detachable train takes me from a ballgown silhouette for the ceremony to a simple column/sheath dress for the reception.  Plus it doesn't feel like I'm carrying around 30 extra pounds like a lot of dresses I tried on. 

Tell the consultant what your vision is and they should be able to get you there.  Plus a good consultant should be able to tell you what silhouettes will actually flatter you (tall girl and mermaid is ridiculous looking!)

• Yup, I hate nearly all bridal gowns for me. I, too, have never been to a wedding where I thought the bride didn't look absolutely beautiful though.  

I could go through 3 or 4 magazines and not see a single gown I'd buy.

My problem was that the few gowns I saw in magazines that I thought were stunning were very far out of my budget (once I'd tracked down the designer and style online).

As such, I bought a white beaded evening gown from Nordstrom instead! Woo!

My biggest bridal pet peeve from the last few years is the wrapped-bedsheet look.  Think Kristin Cavalari (ho-bag wife of Bears' Jay Cutler).  If you rolled out of bed, wrapped your sheet around you and added a beaded belt, that's her look and the look I loathe.  

Final anecdote: I got my college's alumni magazine today and they have two pages devoted to weddings. I swear every dress was A-line and sweetheart neckline!  In small, black and white photos all the brides looked identical. Oh well.  

• I'm envious of all you ladies with "boob problems." My biggest issue was finding a dress that I loved that we could sew boobs into and didn't make me look twenty pounds heavier.
  • I am very picky about wedding dresses, and I went to 3 shops and couldn't find anything I liked.

I eventually had my dress made my an etsy designer.  It's a spaghetti strap dress with a lace bolero over it that buttons in the back.  I really love it because I wanted something with sleeves (although it's hot as heck in Houston, so I was glad to be able to take the bolero off later!), and I love vintage, lacey looks.  But also needed A-line to give me a waist.  I don't have a waist otherwise.

I'm sure my dress isn't a lot of people's personal style either, but I guess that's why it's good that we all have different taste!  It'd be hella boring if every bride liked the same thing.  

Then again, I do unashamedly judge brides who wear things like those see-through corset Pnina Tornai dresses.  I remember wanting to vomit when some bride on SYTTD brought her grandma to her fitting for the sluttiest Pnina dress ever.  Grandma was in tears over how beautiful she looked.  What grandma wants her granddaughter to look like a prostitute at her wedding?

SaveSave
  • Sorry to anyone who has pick ups, but I just think pick ups are THE WORST! If I wanted to look like a cake, I'd smear frosting all over myself.
  • Maybe I'm just a terrible bitch because some of you are like "oh but it looks good on her, she's still a beautiful bride" but I have actually gone to weddings and thought "man that dress is gross and she looks crappy in it" lol

• If you can see your belly button, I judge you.
  • I'm a 38 C and wore strapless. I guess I was one of those titty shows on my wedding day?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  •    It seems like every other dress is a strapless ballgown. I actually love strapless, ballgowns, I own a few as I go social ballroom dancing and some of our events are formal, but I don't want to look like every other bride out there. 

Originally we were going to make a 1930's bias cut evening gown from a vintage pattern for my dress, but then I found the perfect one on Ebay for $160 including shipping. My mom is a professional seamstress and the materials alone could cost that so I just went ahead and bought it. 
  • jenna8984 said:
    Maybe I'm just a terrible bitch because some of you are like "oh but it looks good on her, she's still a beautiful bride" but I have actually gone to weddings and thought "man that dress is gross and she looks crappy in it" lol
    Ok.... to be honest...I haven't been to a wedding where this happened, but I did see a picture on Facebook years back of a bride who looked like friggin' Medusa.  Tightly coiled hair, drag-queen makeup, fake tan.... Holy crap she looked horrible.  All the comments on her photo were, "You look beautiful!" Um, no, no she did not.  So you're not a terrible bitch, don't worry. 

• LOL Sorry @addiel73 Of course that was a generalization and doesn't apply to everyone. I've just seen so many pictures of big busted brides where it's ALL you see and commands the photo. I'm sure you and plenty others have gotten dresses that fit properly and didn't look like that.

• jenna8984 said:
    LOL Sorry @addiel73 Of course that was a generalization and doesn't apply to everyone. I've just seen so many pictures of big busted brides where it's ALL you see and commands the photo. I'm sure you and plenty others have gotten dresses that fit properly and didn't look like that.
    And that is because a lot of brides do not get alterations done correctly.  A lot of times big busted brides need to have the chest of the dress built up to cover them but many do not know this and they have bad seamstresses or they just don't want to spend the extra money to have it done.

I don't understand brides who skimp on alterations because the one thing that money should be spent on is to make sure that your dress fits you like a freaking glove.

• The money I spent on alterations was the best money we spent on the wedding. My dress looked amazing and I felt amazing in it.
    Anniversary
  • Thank you. I appreciate the correction. :)
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • jenna8984 said:
    LOL Sorry @addiel73 Of course that was a generalization and doesn't apply to everyone. I've just seen so many pictures of big busted brides where it's ALL you see and commands the photo. I'm sure you and plenty others have gotten dresses that fit properly and didn't look like that.
    And that is because a lot of brides do not get alterations done correctly.  A lot of times big busted brides need to have the chest of the dress built up to cover them but many do not know this and they have bad seamstresses or they just don't want to spend the extra money to have it done.

I don't understand brides who skimp on alterations because the one thing that money should be spent on is to make sure that your dress fits you like a freaking glove.

This.  I am huge busted. I bought a dress that was two sizes bigger than the rest of my body so my chest would be covered.  I also wore a longline bra and had snaps inserted on the exterior of the bra and interior of the dress so the bra was affixed to the dress and there would be limited movement.

My alterations weren't cheap, but it was better than my boobs falling out all night.

• Heck, I deal with potential over exposure on a daily basis. It's why I sew so many of my tops and dresses. I'm around a 2 in my shoulders and waist, but need at least a 24 over my boobs. Alterations to that degree are you may as well start with the fabric and build a shirt.

But, made a muslin of the top of the dress (it's actually going to be a shirt, but I don't need to see the skirt since that's easy to change) and it's a win from Grammy (Mom's step mom), Nani (Dad's mom), Grandma (DF's paternal grandmother), FSILs both and DF. Better approval from DD - You look like a PRINCESS! - FMIL started crying and Dad broke down because I look so much like my Mom.

Now to find fabric. Yes, this will likely take 20 months to get all the details done. I'm thinking of a very pale blue for the under dress, then white something for the over dress.
  • Heck, I deal with potential over exposure on a daily basis. It's why I sew so many of my tops and dresses. I'm around a 2 in my shoulders and waist, but need at least a 24 over my boobs. Alterations to that degree are you may as well start with the fabric and build a shirt. But, made a muslin of the top of the dress (it's actually going to be a shirt, but I don't need to see the skirt since that's easy to change) and it's a win from Grammy (Mom's step mom), Nani (Dad's mom), Grandma (DF's paternal grandmother), FSILs both and DF. Better approval from DD - You look like a PRINCESS! - FMIL started crying and Dad broke down because I look so much like my Mom. Now to find fabric. Yes, this will likely take 20 months to get all the details done. I'm thinking of a very pale blue for the under dress, then white something for the over dress.
    That's going to look amazing on  you!

I have a similar problem... Have to wear 22/24 tops and 10/12 bottoms. Yet somehow the size 20 ballgown I found fits flawlessly?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Well, fabric was way too easy. It's a GLORIOUS cool pinky, apricoty peach. Entire bolt for $30 because there's a pull about an inch from the selvage. My pattern will just fit if I lay everything right. Then, it has a lace that has detailing in the same peach. Since they didn't have a use for it with my fabric being a defect and discontinued - squeeeeeeeeee! $50 for the bolt.

Was looking for some quilting cotton for shirts when DD started her "It's Princess fabric!" fun - usually anything that looks like the glitter fairy puked on it. While it was a pink glitter fest, the bolt was next to it. Good job munchkin of mine.

Why did I want blue again?
  • I'll be happy when sleeves come back.  Thank God, I'll never be a bride again!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • sydneyvioletsydneyviolet member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I work on bridal shoots all the time for magazines and I grew up with family owning a bridal salon, so I have always been around bridal dresses and never much liked them. They feel super ~costumey~ to me (and I indulge in OTT fashion all the time).

The stylists on the bridal mag shoots are pretty realistic about the dresses too - often they have to shoot particular pieces because they are made by advertisers and they are open in conversation about the dresses being mostly ghastly and overpriced. 

I found that Stone Fox Bride in NYC has some pretty fantastic (and modern) options.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards