Chit Chat

Traditional Brides?

Any other traditional brides out there? I'm getting bashed left and right for being one, just kind of want to know that I'm not alone :(

Re: Traditional Brides?

• Define 'traditional.' What exactly are you being bashed for?

• What does "traditional" mean? It means something different to everyone.

But I suspect I'm not what you would consider a traditional bride! I also wouldn't be shocked if many of the people here are not either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It started out with me thinking that ushers should be men, not women. Then it became that I think they should be in the wedding party at all. Now it's somehow become terrible for me to not consider signing our marriage license as the "real wedding", and terrible to do that before our destination wedding. (We are having a destination wedding in Mexico to make it easier for his family to come from Brazil. No visa cost compared to $600/person if we had it at home. Since the marriage won't be legally recognized in our state, we are getting the marriage license signed at the courthouse beforehand).

Just kind of want to know if there's anyone else out here that thinks the same way that I do.
  • She's getting bashed for having a PPD. And getting married for the tax purposes.
    I'm not getting married for tax purposes. I'm signing a marriage license for them. Two completely different things.
  • That sounds like a PPD to me too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • SarahWins said:
    Any other traditional brides out there? I'm getting bashed left and right for being one, just kind of want to know that I'm not alone :(
    Also quoting. You're not being bashed for being a 'traditional' bride. You're getting bashed for insisting ushers be male, giving shitty jobs to your WP, being married for tax purposes, having a PPD, and essentially insulting any progress that the human race has made with your 'why change the way it's always been done' comment.

@shrekspeare I could kiss you right now
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SarahWins said:
    Also quoting. You're not being bashed for being a 'traditional' bride. You're getting bashed for insisting ushers be male, giving shitty jobs to your WP, being married for tax purposes, having a PPD, and essentially insulting any progress that the human race has made with your 'why change the way it's always been done' comment.
    I was only trying to get help with ideas. Did it occur to you that maybe we can't afford to have multiple people in the wedding party? We still want to honor our female friend. And yes, we think that ushers should be male, because of what it is. Or that we have to have a destination wedding for anyone in my fiancé's family to be able to afford to attend, and now have to deal with other difficulties, such as it not being legally recognized in our home state? 

I'm not insulting any and all progress, but I disagree with progress for progress's sake. I am not a feminist, nor will I ever be. I like traditions. I like traditional weddings. Why is that wrong?

As far as my opinion on the marriage license, I'm libertarian. Rights are not given by the government, they are intrinsic to our humanity. I don't need the government to tell me I have the right to get married. That's why I don't consider signing the marriage license to be adequate. Not saying your opinion is wrong, just saying it's not mine. I'd just appreciate the same courtesy.
  • KatWAG said:
    SarahWins said:
    She's getting bashed for having a PPD. And getting married for the tax purposes.
    I'm not getting married for tax purposes. I'm signing a marriage license for them. Two completely different things.
    Riiiiight. But I thought you dont want the government being involved in your wedding/PPD? Yet you are perfectly okay with signing a piece of paper so that the government can give you benefits.
    Sometimes even if you're fighting to change a system you have to live in it while it exists.
  • Senecaf said:
    Destination weddings are fairly non traditional.
    If we could have the wedding at home, we would. Unfortunately, that would mean his entire family, including his parents and brother, not being able to attend because of visa costs to travel from Brazil. The traditions are: ushers have to be male, and the wedding is when you are married NOT when you sign a piece of paper. 
  • SBmini said:
    I've seen a lot of people on this forum discuss the need to get legally married in the states when having a destination wedding in Mexico. One bride just last month was lamenting at how frustrating it was to actually try to get married legally in Mexico. It involved another trip, vaccinations and a bunch of other hoops to jump through for what takes standing in line for an hour or two in the states. I don't think that makes every Mexican destination wedding a PPD. It's just a technicality to ensure you are legally married.

That said, OP, a destination wedding in Mexico is hardly a traditional wedding.
    So in order for it to be traditional we would have to exclude his entire family? That sounds less traditional to me.
  • Here's the requirements for getting a marriage license in Mexico. Included in the requirements is a blood test and X-ray preformed in Mexico no earlier than 15 days before the wedding and four witnesses: http://www.mexperience.com/mexico-weddings/getting-married-in-mexico.php

This is why many people chose to get married legally in the states and symbolically in Mexico.

• SarahWins said:
    I'm libertarian. Rights are not given by the government, they are intrinsic to our humanity.
    But…you're wrong. They ARE given by the government.

Whether you think they should or should not is totally beside the point.

So your right to life is something given to you by the government? As in, it's perfectly ok if they just take it away from you. Same with your marriage? If they decide to no longer legally recognize marriages are you just going to stop considering that you're married?
  • SarahWins said:
    SarahWins said:
    I was only trying to get help with ideas. Did it occur to you that maybe we can't afford to have multiple people in the wedding party? We still want to honor our female friend. And yes, we think that ushers should be male, because of what it is. Or that we have to have a destination wedding for anyone in my fiancé's family to be able to afford to attend, and now have to deal with other difficulties, such as it not being legally recognized in our home state? 

I'm not insulting any and all progress, but I disagree with progress for progress's sake. I am not a feminist, nor will I ever be. I like traditions. I like traditional weddings. Why is that wrong?

As far as my opinion on the marriage license, I'm libertarian. Rights are not given by the government, they are intrinsic to our humanity. I don't need the government to tell me I have the right to get married. That's why I don't consider signing the marriage license to be adequate. Not saying your opinion is wrong, just saying it's not mine. I'd just appreciate the same courtesy.
    Not touching anything else in this post strictly because I don't have the time while at work, but why exactly can't you have more than a BM/MOH in your wedding party? What expenses will you be out by adding one more person? 
  • Flower costs, mostly. I know it doesn't seem like much, but when you have a tight budget it adds up. It's more important for us to have our family there than to have a larger wedding party. That means a more expensive destination venue. It's a sacrifice that we decided to make, but that doesn't mean that we want to exclude female friends from being involved.
  • SarahWins said:
    SarahWins said:
    I'm libertarian. Rights are not given by the government, they are intrinsic to our humanity.
    But…you're wrong. They ARE given by the government.

Whether you think they should or should not is totally beside the point.

So your right to life is something given to you by the government? As in, it's perfectly ok if they just take it away from you. Same with your marriage? If they decide to no longer legally recognize marriages are you just going to stop considering that you're married?
    Um, if you want to discuss my government's ability to choose to kill them then that's probably a topic for a different discussion.

Whether or not something is "ok" is different from something being "legal" or simply a fact of how things work currently.

Me being in a legally recognized marriage is totally dependent on my government. And if they choose to recognize it or not is purely based on them, not on my own beliefs. I can't just wake up one morning and decide "hey I think I'm married today!" and automatically get all of the benefits (tax, insurance, or otherwise) that any other married person would get. Same as you cannot just decide "hey, I'm not married today!" and then have a wedding ceremony that would be anything but a fake reinactment.
  • You know what, screw it. I'm obviously alone in my opinions, at least as far as this site is concerned. So glad that everyone could be helpful and supportive of a fellow bride in need. I guess I know where not to go for help. 
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/996776/legally-married-now-having-a-real-wedding-stop-here-first-aka-the-ppd-faq-thread/p1

Here are 961 posts discussing how incredibly rude and insulting it is to have a PPD. 99% of them are in the agreement that PPDs are awful. 
    So nobody should have a wedding other than going to the courthouse and signing the license. So why are you on this site?
  • SarahWins said:

So, if you believe what you're saying; that rights aren't given by the government but are intrinsic, why the need for a simple piece of paper with signatures on it?  Just live with your partner, say "Fuck it!" to your PPD (you know, save money ALL around) and just keep on keepin' on.

OHHHHH, right, to get a BREAK from the government, which supplies many of those things which you might depend upon in case of an emergency, or just for your day-to-day living.

Look, people can't make weddings for a multitude of reasons.  You've discovered one; the cost required to get to it.  If you REALLY want his family in attendance, pony up the cash yourself to pay to fly them in to watch you sign your MARRIAGE LICENSE at the courthouse.  Go out to dinner afterwards to celebrate, call that your reception and it's one and done. 

Look, you're not a 'traditional' bride if you're already married and throwing a "play" where you act out something that didn't happen in the first place (your PPD is your One-Act Play performance).  TRADITIONAL means you follow TRADITION.  Tradition isn't signing the marriage license THEN walking down an aisle in a fucking white dress.  TRADITION dictates that the day you sign your marriage license, in your white dress or in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt is your WEDDING DAY.

FuckDamnShit is this really THAT hard to understand for people? 

So before the days of marriage licenses marriages weren't traditional?
  • You know what, screw it. I was looking for help with an issue we were having. I guess that people don't know how to be supportive and helpful to a fellow bride, though. How about if you disagree, don't comment? That's not going to happen though, so I guess I know where not to come for help/ideas in the future. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards