Wedding Etiquette Forum

How to address photographer's request with guests?

2»

Re: How to address photographer's request with guests?

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I really don't have a problem with unplugged ceremonies (or entirely unplugged weddings) as long as there's either no reason given, or the reasons have to do with the venue or the hired photographer. Basically, as long as I'm not told something like, "We want you to be fully present!" Fuck you, thought police! While I'm sitting here not taking pictures, I'm either thinking about dinner OR I'm thinking about work/Red Sox (depending on the month).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Someone stepped right out into the aisle to take pictures at 2 of my DDs' weddings.  At bioDD #1's wedding 9 years ago her step aunt went all the way out into the aisle to take pics.  At stepdd's wedding the same year her MOTHER stepped right out into the middle of the aisle and snapped as many frames as she could with her digital camera.  The photographer didn't get a good coming down the aisle picture at all.

I had a chat with our DOC and she said she sees people doing this all the time.  Our photographer for the upcoming wedding in June also has a clause in his contract stating that there be no photography during the ceremony.  Either DOC or ex-h, who is also the officiant, will make an announcement prior to the ceremony starting.

Our photographer was shooting a wedding where he had a wide stance with his feet and he looked down to find the bride's uncle going between his legs to shoot a photo too.  The guy looked up at him and said "hey, I didn't want to be in your way..."
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014

abbyj700 said:

We're having an unplugged ceremony just for all the crazy reasons people have listed above. Our photographer did not request it - but he's family and wouldn't - but he and I often take photos of each other taking photos just to be funny about moments like this. He saw it on our wedding website and thanked me that we trust him to get the pictures we need at the ceremony - and the convenience of not having to duck around family members jumping out into the aisle for pics.

We put information on our website and there will be something before the ceremony letting people know.

Good luck with that. It's hard enough to get people to stop breaking the law re: texting and driving. If they want to use their phones during your wedding, they will.

Although this has much more practical implications than, say, telling guests what to wear, I'm in the camp that holds telling people what to do and how to behave is rude. There's really no way to enforce this rule unless you collect everyone's phones upon entry (in which case, I'd turn around and go home), so why even bother trying to implement it?

Texting/ talking on a cell phone while driving isn't illegal in all states yet. Although texting and driving should be. It's very true that if someone really wants to do something they'll do iteven if they know they shouldn't.
    kmmssg said:

Someone stepped right out into the aisle to take pictures at 2 of my DDs' weddings.  At bioDD #1's wedding 9 years ago her step aunt went all the way out into the aisle to take pics.  At stepdd's wedding the same year her MOTHER stepped right out into the middle of the aisle and snapped as many frames as she could with her digital camera.  The photographer didn't get a good coming down the aisle picture at all.

I had a chat with our DOC and she said she sees people doing this all the time.  Our photographer for the upcoming wedding in June also has a clause in his contract stating that there be no photography during the ceremony.  Either DOC or ex-h, who is also the officiant, will make an announcement prior to the ceremony starting.

Our photographer was shooting a wedding where he had a wide stance with his feet and he looked down to find the bride's uncle going between his legs to shoot a photo too.  The guy looked up at him and said "hey, I didn't want to be in your way..."
    This just proves when someone wants something they'll do it. That Uncle is what photographers dread. Could you imagine what would have happened if that photog tripped on the uncle? That wouldn't end well.

Whatever you find in a photographers contract is there for a reason.

*sp edit

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kmmssg said:
    Someone stepped right out into the aisle to take pictures at 2 of my DDs' weddings.  At bioDD #1's wedding 9 years ago her step aunt went all the way out into the aisle to take pics.  At stepdd's wedding the same year her MOTHER stepped right out into the middle of the aisle and snapped as many frames as she could with her digital camera.  The photographer didn't get a good coming down the aisle picture at all.

Man, sometimes I wonder what is wrong with people? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kmmssg said:

Me too.  And the stories my DOC told me (she is very well regarded in our area and always booked way ahead of time) made my eyeballs want to pop out.  Unfortunately, people like that are on the guest list - oh joy!
  • kmmssg said:
    kmmssg said:

Me too.  And the stories my DOC told me (she is very well regarded in our area and always booked way ahead of time) made my eyeballs want to pop out.  Unfortunately, people like that are on the guest list - oh joy!
    I'd like to think that people like that aren't on the guest list... 
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Honestly, given that it's okay to ask people to turn off phones at the theater, or in a classroom, or for people to be asked to refrain from photography at recitals/plays, I really don't have a problem with people being asked to shut off their cell phones or not take photos during a wedding. I think it can be done politely, and I think that it's something that should be done without any longwinded explanation.

As for enforcing it? Obviously, you can't. But let's say that out of 150 guests, 50 of them were going to be taking photos, and your announcement/sign convinced 30 of them not to take photos, that's a lot better.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards