Outdoor Weddings
Options

Alaskan summer wedding candles issue, please help!

Hi friends!

This is the first time I've used a message board, but I am not very creative and I'm totally out of ideas. So some background - I'm getting married this June in Alaska. The reception will be from 4-8pm. If you're unfamiliar with Alaskan summers, it almost never gets dark. But, I have this vision in my head of candle-lit everything. I know that it won't look good because the sun will be shining until 11pm, so I need some help in keeping a woodsy-Alaskan-cozy feel while avoiding candles. There will be plenty of mason jars and Alaskan flowers, but I had a vision of hanging three of these: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5e/f4/f4/5ef4f440c18b4e4b07cb3a11144c4052.jpg above each table, as a hanging centerpiece. Here in lies my issue: the candles won't look right if it's nearly daylight. The reception will be inside but the location has windows, which look weird if they're covered up. So lots of daylight coming in.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to put inside these gorgeous glass globes? They'll be above a tablescape with a mason jar of irises and other flowers with two smaller mason jars flanking them with pebbles, an inch of water, and a floating tea candle. 

Thanks!
Kate

Re: Alaskan summer wedding candles issue, please help!

• Options
    http://blog.theknot.com/2014/03/17/10-ways-to-use-hanging-glass-globes-at-your-wedding/

I personally like the single flower or terrarium idea -- maybe with local plants/flowers?
  • Options
    Thank you!! That is a great article - and I think my favorite is the flower in the glass orb as well. 
  • Options
    I like the idea of a single flower, even if it's silk
  • Options
    Unless it truly is as bright as day, I think a candle would still work. Especially if the lights are dimmed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love the ones with a little moss in them for the woodsy-Alaskan-cozy feel, and you could still put a flameless candle in there without starting a fire. I think candles always look nice inside, even if it's daylight. Outside in a field on a sunshiny day, not so much.

Do you have a picture of your venue? Are there window coverings at all, or is it all super wide open? Even some sheers over the windows might help your cozy feel without totally covering them up.

• Options
    I don't have pictures of my venue, but we will have tulle draping that will go over the windows. I recently found out that we're actually not allowed to have candles inside, so they'll be in the outdoor/dancing portion of the reception. Oh well! But thanks for the thoughts! We'll be lighting the inside with string christmas lights.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards