Outdoor Weddings
Options

I feel like a complete idiot

So a few hrs ago, I realized that the outdoor ceremony will not fit all of my guests. When my fiance a I first booked our venue last July they told us the outdoor only held 100 people and they could provide us with few more chairs if possible. We started off with 120 guests and the venue planner told us that chances are the 20 people wont show. Here I am not with 150 guests and I feel like a complete idiot because I realized that it is over the ceremony limit. The reception area is fine I made sure not to go over that limit. But why was I not thinking? How did I miss this? I don't want people standing. The wedding is August 30th in Chicago and it will be hot. So far I have been planning this wedding on my own. My fiance travels every other week for work and all of my friends and family live in Chicago while I'm here in MI working on my Masters. It doesn't help that everyone and everything I know is 5hrs away. I called the venue, told them my dilemma and asked if they only provided 100 chairs or if the area only allows for 100 chair (see the difference?) because I will definitely rent more chairs. Unfortunately they told me to call tomorrow when the manager is in. If not, I found a local park district 10 min away from the venue that has tons of space, they have my date available, and it is actually cheaper. Is it worth it to book the park district for the ceremony? I'm sure 150 wont show, so is it okay that people stand? I really don't like that idea. Sorry for venting, but I have a huge exam tomorrow and this is just added on stress. I spend study time called family members, my fiance, and other venues. 

Re: I feel like a complete idiot

• Options
    Book the park. It's not okay to have your guests stand or play musical chairs. Even using the idea that only 80% of your guests will show, you're still over your original ceremony site limit. And that's just a guideline. You should always plan for 100% attendance.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hi! So you definitely don't want anyone to stand - no matter what. Once you have an answer regarding the space (and I can't imagine an outdoor ceremony where you can't just get more chairs!) then I'm sure you'll have an answer! And I would think 50 is too many guests to chance not coming - so if you can't have more chairs, then you need to do the park. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Can you get married at the reception site? And no, its not okay to ask people to stand.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We can get married at the reception site, but we both planned for an outdoor ceremony. I know it isn't okay. That is the last thing I want.
  • Options
    Once I get an answer I will go from there. I will have a family member go check out the venue, take pictures and send them to me. Hopefully book the same day. I seriously don't understand how I let this happen. Grrrrrr.......
  • Options
    missy5290 said:
    Once I get an answer I will go from there. I will have a family member go check out the venue, take pictures and send them to me. Hopefully book the same day. I seriously don't understand how I let this happen. Grrrrrr.......

Because you added people after the fact. You should have had your 120 set in stone and not added anyone lol. Invitations haven't gone out yet so you can always widdle it back down....

But hopefully it works out, it sounds like you have some great options like using the reception space or the park. Don't count out the reception space just because it's indoors because what if it pours and you have to be indoors anyways? You would have to rent tents in the park just in case.

• Options
    missy5290 said:
    So a few hrs ago, I realized that the outdoor ceremony will not fit all of my guests. When my fiance a I first booked our venue last July they told us the outdoor only held 100 people and they could provide us with few more chairs if possible. We started off with 120 guests and the venue planner told us that chances are the 20 people wont show. Here I am not with 150 guests and I feel like a complete idiot because I realized that it is over the ceremony limit. The reception area is fine I made sure not to go over that limit. But why was I not thinking? How did I miss this? I don't want people standing. The wedding is August 30th in Chicago and it will be hot. So far I have been planning this wedding on my own. My fiance travels every other week for work and all of my friends and family live in Chicago while I'm here in MI working on my Masters. It doesn't help that everyone and everything I know is 5hrs away. I called the venue, told them my dilemma and asked if they only provided 100 chairs or if the area only allows for 100 chair (see the difference?) because I will definitely rent more chairs. Unfortunately they told me to call tomorrow when the manager is in. If not, I found a local park district 10 min away from the venue that has tons of space, they have my date available, and it is actually cheaper. Is it worth it to book the park district for the ceremony? I'm sure 150 wont show, so is it okay that people stand? I really don't like that idea. Sorry for venting, but I have a huge exam tomorrow and this is just added on stress. I spend study time called family members, my fiance, and other venues. 

you are right when you think that having people stand is a really bad idea.   It is probably one of the rudest things you can do to your guests, so I'm glad you are looking at other options.   People usually arrive 15-30 minutes early for a wedding. And, even short weddings last 10-20 minutes, so people would be standing in one spot, in dress clothes, for anywhere between 30-60 minutes.   It sucks.

Have you already sent out invitations? If not, scale your guest list back.  If so, wait until tomorrow and see what your venue says.  If they can't accomodate you, proceed with the park.

• Options
    missy5290 said:
    We can get married at the reception site, but we both planned for an outdoor ceremony. I know it isn't okay. That is the last thing I want.
    At either of these ceremony venues, is there a back up plan for bad weather?  The only thing worse than standing is stifling 100+ August heat or being rained upon.  If not, perhaps you should reconsider having everything at the reception venue.
  • Options
    The venue can provide me with 20 extra chairs for 100 more dollars. I haven't sent out invitations yet, but everyone has received a save the date. We both have huge families and unfortunately I can't scale back. We may end up going with the park. 
  • Options
    missy5290 said:
    The venue can provide me with 20 extra chairs for 100 more dollars. I haven't sent out invitations yet, but everyone has received a save the date. We both have huge families and unfortunately I can't scale back. We may end up going with the park. 
    If you've sent them a STD you cannot cut them.  If the ceremony site you have already can only accommodate 120 guests then you'll need to make other arrangements.

• Options
    We booked the local park district. No worries. Gazebo holds up to 200 people. We're good.
  • Options
    I think that's gonna work better for you. I just attended a friend's wedding and I had to stand the whole time, people were bitter, fighting over chairs...not the best experience. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards