Snarky Brides

Cutesy RSVPs - with bells on?

So we got invited to a wedding (which we are not attending) and it included this RSVP card. I just really do not understand this at all.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cutesy RSVPs - with bells on?

• This was discussed before on Invites. I think it's cute. @hisgirlfriday13 didn't you do/consider doing these or am I remembering incorrectly?

• Yes; you're remembering correctly. We did do those RSVPs, and people told us they loved them. They fit with our personalities, and despite what everyone on here says, no one got confused by them.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Sorry if I offended. I just don't quite get the appeal. That and the person who sent it is at the top of my shit list currently.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think you have to be familiar with the expression to find it favorable.  Some of my family members would be totally clueless if they got this.  It doesn't work for everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • I think there is too many options in the one the OP posted. If it's just 2 (with and without bells); it's fine.  Also, why is there a number attending and number of bells?

• We used something similar for our rsvp. We had a lot of older family who understood the expression. The only one who didn't was a younger adult niece. You gotta know your friends and family.
  • laurynm84 said:
    I think there is too many options in the one the OP posted. If it's just 2 (with and without bells); it's fine.  Also, why is there a number attending and number of bells?
    Technically, 2 could be attending- one with bells, one without.  Hence # of people and # of bells.

I don't think they're too confusing.*  And I think it would be cute, especially if it fit the personalities of the couple.

*Unless they were on my shit-list, then I'd be all WTF IS THIS SHIT?! But.. I'm a bitch from time to time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• laurynm84 said:

I think there is too many options in the one the OP posted. If it's just 2 (with and without bells); it's fine.  Also, why is there a number attending and number of bells?

Technically, 2 could be attending- one with bells, one without.  Hence # of people and # of bells.

I don't think they're too confusing.*  And I think it would be cute, especially if it fit the personalities of the couple.

*Unless they were on my shit-list, then I'd be all WTF IS THIS SHIT?! But.. I'm a bitch from time to time.

I would also interpret this differently depending on shit list status. :)

• I probably should have phrased my post differently. I'm familiar with the expression. I don't understand the point of the "bell phobia" bit or "number of bells". It feels a little over the top to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yes, the shit list status is a big one. My soon to be stepkids were asked to be in their wedding - one as an usher and the other as a guestbook attendant and I guess general gopher. I asked for two months for info about attire. The bride finally sent me an email and I then asked for accommodations info. She said she would get back to me. That was two months ago. We finally get the invite. No info about rehearsal, rehearsal dinner...this is 3 hours away from us, so we would have to get a room for 5 people. We kind of need to plan. The invite doesn't even include info about the reception. You have to go to their website to get that. Our kids aren't included on their website as members of the WP either. The whole debacle has been rude and tacky. Why on earth would we shell out hundreds of dollars to go out of our way to attend the wedding of someone who clearly thinks our kids are second class citizens? The bride has also been lying about stuff and putting my FI in an awkward situation because he got her a job working for his best friend's wife and she screwed them over. SHIT LIST.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I wonder if the people at http://www.poopsenders.com would be willing to add some bells to the package?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Now THAT is a use of poopsenders I can get on board with. :)

(Have you ever read the thing about how to protect yourself from bears in the woods? I'll have to find it...)

• How does everyone know what this rsvp means but me? Do you literally wear bells? Someone explain this to poor larrygaga
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't understand the # of bells part.  That's the point where I would get irritated by the cutesyness.

• I can see how people might get confused with that and think you actually went bells for some sort of send off.

A friend had a Fourth of July wedding and had RSVPs that had something very similar except with firecrackers and they had a couple of guests actually bring a ton of firecrackers. And firecrackers are illegal in the city. Fortunately, no one shot them off.
  • Honestly I think it's cute, but the "# of bells" bit probably does take it too far. I would stick with two options: "With Bells On" and "Phobia of Bells."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    How does everyone know what this rsvp means but me? Do you literally wear bells? Someone explain this to poor larrygaga
    It's from the phrase "I'll be there with bells on"

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/with-bells-on.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh, I think they're cute & funny!  I'm not the type who would do this myself (and I haven't), but I would be so amused if I got one  :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • I sort of think they are cute but I would never choose one like that.  They get some hate but whatevs.  If it's an informal affair, I think it's fine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh. It reminds me of pintrest things. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I should add, we didn't ask people for the number of bells. We had options for will be there with bells on; will be there, free of bells; will be attending -- undecided on bells; will not be attending -- heard there will be people wearing bells; will not be attending, regardless of bell controversy. I use the expression 'with bells on' often IRL, so it wasn't out of character for me. If I was on someone's shit list and they judged me, I'd probably brush it off and figure, 'Well, that's one person we don't have to continue a friendship with after the wedding.' Maybe I'm defensive since I actually did this, but in light of the judgement and drama we've had around here lately, since this isn't against etiquette, if you don't like it, build a bridge and GTFO it. It doesn't materially affect your comfort or the B&G hosting you properly.
    We did exactly the bolded, and people loved it.

Everyone we have spoken to about it has been more than familiar with some variation of the phrase, "I'll be there with bells on!" We have received very positive reactions, and didn't do it to be cutesy or Pinteresty (there will be no burlap or mason jars at my wedding, thankyouverymuch). We did it because it amused us and FI really liked it, and it was representative of who we are -- fun, fairly carefree, and excited to share moments like this with our close friends and family.

• I like the whole bells thing, but personally think the number of bells options is a bit too twee. 

It all comes down to personal taste. 

But yes, if sender was on my shit list, I'd probably side eye them. Because I am a bitch.

Anniversary
  • I don't think it is cute but I don't think it is dumb either.  I am neutral on it and I probably would just mark what I needed to mark and send it on its way.  But then again, it is a RSVP card.  I don't really find any RSVP card cute.

• I didn't realize people are unfamiliar with the expression, i thought it was extremely common?  I love it, but agree that it went a step over the "may cause confusion" line with the blank for number of bells.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My cousin did this for her wedding. My family had no idea what bells meant until we got to the reception and saw bells on the table. When the cousin's family started ringing the bells and the bride and groom kissed, we finally understood. But I still don't understand when you said "Will attend, no bells". Do you just not get bells then at the reception? 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards